xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Got A 1.6 Box So I Cant Run Xdsl  (Read 73 times)

ADHybrid

• Archived User
Got A 1.6 Box So I Cant Run Xdsl
« on: May 05, 2005, 04:26:00 AM »

Since I cant run Xdsl due to chip/driver issues with the 1.6 box, I have a couple questions.

1. Is this issue going to be fixed with the soon to be released v0.2 release of Xdsl?

2. What is a second best (if not better) distro that will work on a 1.6 box? I know that this is highly subjective and frankly personal preference but I'm just checking out what people like also. If it helps any, I want something that is fast like Xdsl.

Thanks guys.

-Chris

<

phatmax_666

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 06:26:00 AM »

Gentoox is really good. You could also try Xebian and if you want to start linux from a CD take Dynebolic (like the best version from boot ftom CD) but Try gentoox ! <

friedgold

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(ADHybrid @ May 5 2005, 09:21 AM)
Since I cant run Xdsl due to chip/driver issues with the 1.6 box, I have a couple questions.

1. Is this issue going to be fixed with the soon to be released v0.2 release of Xdsl?

2. What is a second best (if not better) distro that will work on a 1.6 box? I know that this is highly subjective and frankly personal preference but I'm just checking out what people like also. If it helps any, I want something that is fast like Xdsl.

Thanks guys.

-Chris

I've replied to you on the www.dslxbox.com forums, but thought I should add the reply here too

The solution outlined in here should work in theory for v1.6 xboxes. It's not really overscan correction - you just reduce the resolution until everything fits on the screen. I've been told it works fine for people using HDTV modes but haven't recieved much feedback on if it works for v1.6 Xboxes. If you can try it out let us know if it helped.

The issue with v1.6 Xboxes and Linux isn't a problem with a specific distribution but is instead a lack of support for the v1.6 video chipset in the Linux kernel. Therefore you are going to run into the same problems in every distribution.

The previous video chips were generic chipsets with documentation available from the manufacturer but the one in v1.6 Xboxes is a MS branded part for which no documentation exists. Therefore it will take one hell of a reverse engineering project to make any improvements.

For the reasons above there will be no changes in XDSL v0.2 in terms of overscan on a v1.6 Xbox <