xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: XDSL site hosting argument  (Read 51 times)

The Zep Man

• Archived User
XDSL site hosting argument
« on: April 06, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(manu_xl @ Apr 5 2005, 08:24 PM)
not impressive dude  :boring:

put your energy in something positive. contribute to the scene with decent things.

First of all, I'm not FORCED to contribute anything to the scene, whether it is code or help. Everything I do (small and big stuff) is voluntarily and I don't need you to tell me what to do. :boring:

Second, does it even look like I care whether it is impressive or not? Maybe it will help some people who lost their logins or who simply want to download it. Or maybe it won't help at all. So what? I didn't do this to impress people; I did it to help people. It's not like I asked for anything in return. <_< <

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 02:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Apr 5 2005, 11:54 AM)
For the people who don't want to register with the website... I'm still wondering why everyone always wants your e-mail address. I hope they are lucky with the one I use for SPAM. <_< This is not a flame to the authors of xDSL (you do a great job! :beer: ), but I don't think it's necessary to 'register' to download one thing.

If the authors wish for it, I'll remove the URL's from this post. But at least try to give a reason for it.

Note: change the extensions of the URL's from .raw to .zip. This will keep automated downloading-systems at bay (if they are afraid of those... I needed to enter a number from a picture).

Note 2: Don't try to pick the first one. Enough users will do that, and it would simply make your download slow when everyone would use that one.

File-desc: xDSL V0.1
Filesize: 41,6 MB
MD5-hash: 98874f009b2c382c28ffa7b79f66160b

http://anime-gallore.com/Files/xdsl-0.1.raw
http://perso.numericable.fr/~ffusille2/serveurfab/xdsl.raw
http://home.aim.avans.nl/s137447/xdsl-0.1.raw
http://xguides.xbox-scene.com/mirror/xdsl-0.1.raw

Note to the developers: if you are in desperate need of bandwidth... why not try a Torrent Tracker? ;)

[edit]
Added MD5-hash (haven't checked it for all mirrors, but the one I got works).

The reason why we ask for member ship is those that we create an online community and prevent leachers from just seraching on google.. I really don't care about the community because i think people will join because they have real questions and want to make things better but the bandwitdth is the important thing..

Wanna make a tracker for us?

No we don't use the email for spam or sell them.. I'll look in to removing the register before download because that just creates unwanted users in our database..

<

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 05:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Keo-Keo @ Apr 6 2005, 06:57 AM)
The reason why we ask for member ship is those that we create an online community and prevent leachers from just seraching on google..
I suppose you mean 'leechers'. What do you mean with 'searching on Google'? The download, or answers to their questions? Also, I simply wanted to download it and not join some community that almost nobody cares about (seriously: people can also ask their questions at Xbox-Scene, in this forum). Maybe the community would be helpful for developers and people who DO need help, but...

All the people who download xDSL != All the people who need help with xDSL

I really don't care about the community because i think people will join because they have real questions and want to make things better but the bandwitdth is the important thing..
The only thing that generates more bandwidth are the upload of info to the registration-pages, the mail sent by the SMTP-protocol, the activation-page and FINALLY the download-page. xDSL is mirrored by some of it's fans ( :beer: ) and they do get nothing back from the user registration. I don't know why I should register at YOUR website to download from THEM. :P

Wanna make a tracker for us?
I will look into this, but no promises. Also, if I host a tracker I can't sacrifice a lot of upload-bandwidth for it. It is up to the people to seed it.

No we don't use the email for spam or sell them.. I'll look in to removing the register before download because that just creates unwanted users in our database..

I'm glad we understand each other. Don't worry, I'm still a big fan of this project and hope to see a lot of promising updates of it in the feature. :popcorn: <

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:33:00 PM »

Ahem?

"Note: change the extensions of the URL's from .raw to .zip. This will keep automated downloading-systems at bay (if they are afraid of those... I needed to enter a number from a picture)."
"If the authors wish for it, I'll remove the URL's from this post. But at least try to give a reason for it."
Too bad you neglected to mention that your linking to servers that are in no way related to the authors. I'm not about to get killed for bandwidth just because you don't like how the authors run their site. Actually killed is an exaggeration...anyone who clicks the .raw URL goes to Disney and everyone else gets a generic server error. smile.gif

"Note to the developers: if you are in desperate need of bandwidth... why not try a Torrent Tracker?"
There actually trying to get this going. Actually if anyone from XDSL sees this, get a SourceForge page. The servers on that site have gigs upon gigs of bandwidth. Then its all that whole GNU open source software shit or whatever and people like that.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(RiceCake @ Apr 7 2005, 01:39 AM)
Ahem?

"Note: change the extensions of the URL's from .raw to .zip. This will keep automated downloading-systems at bay (if they are afraid of those... I needed to enter a number from a picture)."
"If the authors wish for it, I'll remove the URL's from this post. But at least try to give a reason for it."
Too bad you neglected to mention that your linking to servers that are in no way related to the authors. I'm not about to get killed for bandwidth just because you don't like how the authors run their site. Actually killed is an exaggeration...anyone who clicks the .raw URL goes to Disney and everyone else gets a generic server error. :)

The problem is: I don't know how the author of xDSL is related to Xbox-Scene. There is no such thing as 'free speech' on a forum. <_<

At the other hand... it is not illegal to link directly to (legal) files. So you're right. :lol: Sorry I didn't mention that the mirrors aren't related to the authors.
By the way, anyone who can check my last post and maybe answer it? :luv: <

daveh

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Apr 5 2005, 05:54 PM)
For the people who don't want to register with the website... I'm still wondering why everyone always wants your e-mail address. I hope they are lucky with the one I use for SPAM. <_< This is not a flame to the authors of xDSL (you do a great job! :beer: ), but I don't think it's necessary to 'register' to download one thing.

Regarding your email.
You will only receive mail from us if you have subscribed to our newsletter.
The mail you do receive from us will only contain news directly related to xdsl and nothing else.
You can unsubscribe from our newsletter at any time.
You will not receive email from any third party using your email address that is stored in our database.
In short, your email address will not get shared, traded, sold, delivered, or marketed in any way shape or form. We value your privacy as much as our own.

Download Policy.
Many sites have adopted the same download policy as dslxbox.com
The majority of people dont mind registration and the use of the security code feature in the downloads, and we are going with the majority, not the minority. The main reason why registration is required and the use of the security code feature. is bandwidth. Bandwidth is our main concern at the moment until we find a permanent reliable place to host the files. Our member mirrors are doing a great job so far and I dont want this to be spoiled by leaving the downloads open.

The great thing about the net is freedom to choose. You have a choice to either abide by our download policy and get the latest release, or you could get xdsl from somewhere else. There are other places to get it from.

Another reason for registration, although not directly related to your post but worth commenting on, is anonymous posting in the forums. Anonymous posting does not build communities. If anything it destroys them. Anonymous posting lets people post all sorts of crap in the forums not related to the subject.

On the other hand, someone that is registerd is more likely to contribute in a helpfull way. You just got to look in the forums at dslxbox to see that. Remember there are a great many people new to linux on the xbox and they are going to want to ask questions in the forums. We want to cater for these people as well as those people who have experience with linux and make them part of our community. <

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »

Download Policy.
Many sites have adopted the same download policy as dslxbox.com
The majority of people dont mind registration and the use of the security code feature in the downloads, and we are going with the majority, not the minority.
Got proof to back that up? Consider the URL's I offer for the minority, otherwise.

The main reason why registration is required and the use of the security code feature. is bandwidth. Bandwidth is our main concern at the moment until we find a permanent reliable place to host the files. Our member mirrors are doing a great job so far and I dont want this to be spoiled by leaving the downloads open.
Excuse me, but this seems like crap to me. It isn't even YOUR bandwidth on those mirrors! Plus, people WILL want to download it, whether they need to register or not. It doesn't make any difference for the bandwidth. huh.gif

Another reason for registration, although not directly related to your post but worth commenting on, is anonymous posting in the forums. Anonymous posting does not build communities. If anything it destroys them. Anonymous posting lets people post all sorts of crap in the forums not related to the subject.
Then why not make the registration ONLY for the 'community' and deny anonymous access... while offering the downloads for anyone? blink.gif

On the other hand, someone that is registerd is more likely to contribute in a helpfull way. You just got to look in the forums at dslxbox to see that. Remember there are a great many people new to linux on the xbox and they are going to want to ask questions in the forums. We want to cater for these people as well as those people who have experience with linux and make them part of our community.
Still no reason to force registration to download it. People can register voluntarily.

daveh

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 02:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Apr 7 2005, 06:33 PM)
Got proof to back that up? Consider the URL's I offer for the minority, otherwise.

Excuse me, but this seems like crap to me. It isn't even YOUR bandwidth on those mirrors! Plus, people WILL want to download it, whether they need to register or not. It doesn't make any difference for the bandwidth. :huh:

I did not say  the bandwidth was ours. I am thinking about our members bandwidth, they are the ones who provide the servers. Read and understand before you post. We are a community helping each other. If you dont want to be part of our community. We dont have a problem with that.

There has been enough time wasted on the subject. The download policy remains as is untill we can get permanent reliable hosting (soon I hope).  I have said all I am going to say about all this.
 <

keithacole

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(daveh @ Apr 7 2005, 01:33 PM)
I did not say  the bandwidth was ours. I am thinking about our members bandwidth, they are the ones who provide the servers. Read and understand before you post. We are a community helping each other. If you dont want to be part of our community. We dont have a problem with that.

There has been enough time wasted on the subject. The download policy remains as is untill we can get permanent reliable hosting (soon I hope).  I have said all I am going to say about all this.

whoa.. where is a mod when you need one.. you guys better stop screwing it up for people that actually read here for information(such as i). the mod just might stop in and close it.. and then what?(well someone starts another)

so maybe its a good idea that this topic gets closed

ZEP-MAN

it seems to me like all the files in xdsl are compressed right now.. and it all gets loaded into memory when you boot up.. therefore tweaking of some files is impossible.. i have found that system files can be tweaked and then saved with a backup..but i download all files to my f: drive for later viewing <

daveh

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 05:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(keithacole @ Apr 7 2005, 10:04 PM)
whoa.. where is a mod when you need one.. you guys better stop screwing it up for people that actually read here for information(such as i). the mod just might stop in and close it.. and then what?(well someone starts another)

so maybe its a good idea that this topic gets closed

ZEP-MAN

it seems to me like all the files in xdsl are compressed right now.. and it all gets loaded into memory when you boot up.. therefore tweaking of some files is impossible.. i have found that system files can be tweaked and then saved with a backup..but i download all files to my f: drive for later viewing

Hi I agree that all this crap should stop.

As for tweaking of some files , this can be done as root you can make the filesystem writeable. look in the forums at damnsmalllinux.org  I found a snipit of info there on the subject. Cant remember where in the forums right now, you will have to look. If I got time I will try to find it for you <

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »

I'd host it public but I've been drained almost 2Gb's of bandwidth in the last few days...and I'm the last mirror on the downloads list, which usually gets the least users.

I'll setup a quick public mirror on my PC if I can get some Httpd or Ftpd working.

Edit: Sheesh, been working hard to try to help XDSL...lol...better not just die off on me!

ftp://riceserv.framed.net

This post has been edited by RiceCake: Apr 8 2005, 01:19 AM <