xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lindows On Xbox  (Read 57 times)

oberon_black

• Archived User
Lindows On Xbox
« on: January 22, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »

Hey all,
I want to use my XBOX as a full use desktop and as a gaming console.  I have been told that I can put Linux on my BOX, so I wanted to know if I could was Lindows or Linspire as the Linux version.  If so how do I install it and has anyone do this before?  I would love to see some different screenshots of linux versions on an XBOX especially the gui versions.  Please help me work this out, I am a noob to this so I do require step-by-step.

Thanks

HeadBangingMonkey

• Archived User
Lindows On Xbox
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 03:07:00 AM »

I'm no linux expert but a few linux distros have been made to work on xbox.

Gentoo/Gentoox - No tried it, but I get the impression its very good and worth while trying.
Debian/Xebian - I use this, very good but I find I need to update lots of libraries and change the GUI etc.
Red Hat 7 - Not being worked on any more, not very well supported, dont bother.
dyne:bolic - Don't know anything about this, but I get the impression it doesn't work on 1.4 or higher xboxes.

I suggest you try either Gentoox or Xebian. If you want something with a nice GUI then just install one. It depends what your personal preference is but KDE3 is a good start.

In Xebian just type "apt-get install kdebase" at a terminal.

Hope this helps

luther349

• Archived User
Lindows On Xbox
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

gentoox is a full distro as well as debain that works on the xbox. lindows will never be ported couse its not supported by any linux people.

chimpanzee

• Archived User
Lindows On Xbox
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »

You should be able to make any distro runs on Xbox as all it needs is a xbox compatible kernel and a special nv_xbox driver for X(even that is optional if you don't mind vesa driver).

However, you won't be able to just "install" it, you need to play around with how to creat the rootfs. I have no problem making debian woody and sarge running on xbox, fedora core 2 as well.

However, I don't see the point of making lindow work on Xbox as it is more a desktop oriented distro and IMO, Xbox is not a good system for desktop usage, the display sucks and only 64M RAM can't accomdate KDE or GNOME very well.

luther349

• Archived User
Lindows On Xbox
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »

it seems we where wrong abought redhat not being worked on lol fedora is for the xbox now.