xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Linux Hard Drive Question  (Read 159 times)

BAP1130

• Archived User
Linux Hard Drive Question
« on: November 16, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »

Hi all, sorry if this is a newb question but here goes. I have become very interested in the Linux project, but in light of the recent events with Xbox Live, I have become discouraged. I heard somewhere that it is pointless to have linux if you do it with just a regular hard drive...is this true?

I have no problem spending the money for a larger hdd, but I want to still play xbox live (ppl banned possibly b/c of large hdd's). I was planning on doing the FTP installation for Linux.

Also, is there a way to make a switch for the two different hdd's so that I can upgrade my hdd, have linux, and still keep the old hdd as well.

BAP1130

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

^^^pls bump...does anyone know the answer? Thanks :-)

BAP1130

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

^^^anyone?

snipes420

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »

better late than never,

about the harddrive switch question, go here

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php?p=191|211|#211

lots of good info in the tutorials. :)
make sense?

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »

lol he didnt ask how to install it but abought live banning. but we cannot give you a answer abought that couse some people with large hds did get banned and others didnt even owners of halo 2. noone has figured out the new checks and what excaly triggers them.

This post has been edited by luther349: Dec 9 2004, 05:38 AM

BAP1130

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »

Thanks for responding guys...

about the harddrive switch question, go here

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php?p=191|211|#211

lots of good info in the tutorials.

I have looked very deeply into the tutorials, and from what I could see, there is clearly a way to do it without having to take out the dvd drive. However, the problem of "crimping" the cable is something I really didn't understand.

I went into further research and found this 4-device IDE Cable here.
Would this cable work as an alternative to modifying my current 2-device IDE cable?

lol he didnt ask how to install it but abought live banning. but we cannot give you a answer abought that couse some people with large hds did get banned and others didnt even owners of halo 2. noone has figured out the new checks and what excaly triggers them.

I agree with you...there is no clear answer to the live banning, but the main reason for doing this mod in the first place is just to be safe. By seperating my live play from my modding, and using 2 diff hard drives, there is really no way I can get banned (theoretically).

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »

if your using a switch between the stock hd and the larger system i dont knoe if that will affect you. but in thery that should be fine but i suggest talking to someone with such a setup and get details abought that if it would affect live or not.

grime_z

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 11:51:00 PM »

I dont know if you guys have been listnin round the other forums much, but they pretty much have the cause of the banning nailed.  When you sign onto live for the first time, it marries your EEPROM and your HDD Serial, so if you go on later, with a different hard drive, or bigger hard drive, theres a problem.  Now what i have been doing to make sure I was safe is keeping all non-xbox-native files on my F partition.  I am working on installing Xebian right now, but I dont know if they have a install with F partition support yet.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »

yes it does have support for f.

BAP1130

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »

I didn't make this thread to talk about the reason for banning on live...Im trying to figure out how to do the dual hd tutorial, as noted in both of my posts, without

a) ruining my orig IDE cable (i.e. crimping)
B) taking out my dvd

I have done tons of research on this, and I still dont know if this cable will work...

4-device IDE Cable

Anyone know?

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 11:03:00 PM »

i think the xbox uses normal ide cables. however the bios only support 2 ide devices thats why you need a switch. and rippping out the dvd drive whont work on stock bios it will just give you a error.