xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Is It Running Open Office Or Web Browsing  (Read 99 times)

testing

• Archived User
How Is It Running Open Office Or Web Browsing
« on: October 07, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »

Is there any lag when doing simple things such as browsing the net or running Open Office?

WilliamChgo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

One of the just-for-fun things I wanted to be able to do with Linux on my Xbox was surf the Web from my TV - couch potato heaven, eh?  I have a DSL connection and there is absolutely no noticable lag.

As for Open Office, my eyes are not as good as they were 25 years ago.  Nuff said.

angrypants

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »

yeah it works great using firefox or open office. The only real problem is that if you have don't have a really crazy hd tv or somthing it's fuzzy and that some time causes some problems. Other than that I pretty much use xbox linux for surfing the web and it does the job much better than links box.

angrypants

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »

yeah it works great using firefox or open office. The only real problem is that if you have don't have a really crazy hd tv or somthing it's fuzzy and that some time causes some problems. Other than that I pretty much use xbox linux for surfing the web and it does the job much better than links box.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »

well a gui version of links is new een for pc linux so its naturly unsstable sometimes. howver the latest port seems alot nicer then the last for the xbox. of course firefox supports alot more then links on any platform. not to metion the on-screen keybord on gentoox is alot easer to deal with. if you got the space to spare for it installing gentoox is alot more fun. also the latest version of gentoox isnt that fuzzy at all even on 800x600 on all the tvs i tested it on anyways.

and at 640x480 its very clear i tested that on both my tv and my frends.  anf of course if you own a hdtv thers no problem with it. but if you still cant read it use peeper to zoom in on things insteed of straning yourself. as for ims just tell your frends to send you ims in bigger text so you can read it very easly.  

This post has been edited by luther349 on Oct 11 2004, 01:44 AM