xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Whats The Best Bit Torrent Client For Linux  (Read 136 times)

angrypants

• Archived User
Whats The Best Bit Torrent Client For Linux
« on: October 04, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »

I have been using bittornado in windows and really like it. I have been trying to figure out how to get it to install on linux but haven't had a lot of luck with it. What is the best bit torrent client for linux and can some one give me a link to a decent installation tutorial.

m.e

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »

Azureus is the best for both Windows and Linux.

y2kill

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 03:01:00 PM »

I like ctorrent since you can run it from the console (ie: no gui) so I can run it remotely.

Lazybones

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »

I use Azureus on windows and a friend uses it on Linux. Feature wise it is the best client, but the UI runs a little slow under Linux because the java virtual machine isn't as optimized.

havok1977

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »

Personally i use btdownloadcurses, it is a python based text client that doesnt consume many system resources and gets the job done; the only thing you need is to download the .torrent file to your harddrive and invoke it:

# btdownloadcurses --max_upload_rate DESIRED_RATE  XXXXXXXXXXX.torrent

Plus - it is included in the bittorrent debian package!

Azureus is very nice but sucks every last drop of system resources making it impossible to do anything else on your computer while it is running...

angrypants

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

Yeah I finally ened up using the command line bit torrent client. I hate azureus, it's just a pain in the ass to use so I would rather use somthing else. The command line is nice it does what I need and dosn't  have all the extra crap I don't really need. I haven't had any luck getting the gui version to work which would be nice just for simplicity but the command line works just fine and isn;t a big deal.