xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Macromedia Flash On A Linux?  (Read 111 times)

rangerZero

• Archived User
Macromedia Flash On A Linux?
« on: September 21, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »

I am looking for a way to view Homesta Runner FLASH cartoons on my XBOX. Someone suggested Linux.

Is anyone here able to view the FLASH cartoons on this page with Linux?
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

Note that I have never used Linux. I have a modded XBOX with an upgraded hard drive. I do not want to use a keyboard or anything, just my XBOX controller.

Can anyone point me to a distribution that will run these cartoons? Thanks a lot!

DrPoPTaRt

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »

I'd suggest Gentoox.  If you have the ability to ftp to your xbox then you can install it without typing anything.  There is also an onscreen keyboard you can use to type things.  I havent tried the latest version but i heard it comes with firefox and it should be pretty easy to install flash player if its not already.  I have watched H*R with a different version of gentoox but i deleted it a while ago.

BTW: the latest version of Gentoox takes up over 4 gigs so make sure you have some space before you install it.

Potato Bob

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »

um just install netscape plugins

in gentoox here are the commands

if you havent synced in a week then

"emerge sync"
then just type

"emerge netscape-flash"

and it will install teh shockwave flash

rangerZero

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »

Great! I'm downloading GentooX right now. Can this be set up to launch right from a dashboard, or does this need a special bootup? I read through the FTP installation tutorial, and I understand everything there.

Just to calm my nerves, will someone tell me that this will not mess up anything else I have on the hard drive?

DrPoPTaRt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

If your using evox just add Item "Gentoox","E:\gentooxx.xbe" to the correct place in you exox.ini file.  Remember you need to installed it directly to e with no subdirectories.  

I cant say it wont mess up anything else in your hard drive but if you follow the directions it shouldnt.  Considering your just ftping the files over i doubt anything could go wrong.

While you waiting for it to download just read through the installation tutorial and the ftp installation tutorial and make sure you know what to do.

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »

UMM guys didnt you know the new gentoox version comes with the latest flash??
NO upgrade or ftp needed. I went to www.funnyjunk.com and was watching all the good stuff!!. SO LIKE I SAID B4 get gentoox its the answer to all your prayers.
stop asking dumb question. gentoox got it, ok!!! Go get it jees. I dont know why you peeps want debian and all that jazz. lol jazz. just get gentoox peeps. seeya  

forthex

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »

I can't unrar the gentoox package on my PC. i tried every program, but it won't work. will flash work with Xebian?

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 07:23:00 PM »

yes it acully works better on xeabion. just aptget install netscape-flash

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »

How does it work better on xebian??? flash is flash. if xebila is so good why isnt there a website for it?? i mean i want more info on it. if its faster as you say. please let me know its not that im bias, but ht there isnt much info on it and it seems like development fot it has died. the only place you cxn find info on it is at the linux xbox site and no link to a real webpage. where are you getting your info. xebial sounds like you need to have a decent understanding of linux cause most of thease people need somthing easy and nothing is eiser to install than gentoox. if you know where i acn get more in for on xebian drop me a link please.

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 02:26:00 AM »

Xebian is updated all the time.  Just because theres no website announcing updates everyday (altho, when new versions of Xebian are released, its on the X-S news page) work is done on it.  And since Xebian is based on Debian, pretty much what works on Deb works on Xeb.  

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

is it bootable from the evox dash?? does it have a default xbe??
instructions on how to do it?

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 04:05:00 AM »

Yes, Yes, dload, burn, install.  

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »

its not thats its better but gentoo has some small issues with flash it also affects the pc version. the sound get distorted on flash 7 apps. older flash 6 play fine thow. xeabion plays all flash meda without any problems.

the main diffrence between gentoox and xeabion are slight but they make a big diffrence on some systems. gentoox has better support for 3rd paty controlers newer 1.5 1.6 xboxes as well as a better display system for abought any tv. however i dont knoe why being how gentoox is but its aculy slower then xeabion.

xeabion is a faster distro for a few reasions but it has no 3rd party contoler support and its not easy to set up many tihings. everything is manual such as whanting to use dhcp for grabbing a ip takes edting the netconfig files by hand rather then being auto dedcited by gentoox.

gentoox is also updated alot and supports abought anything you can imagion and if it dont  email shallax and in a few days it will lol. thats how i got support for my gamestop xpad. not to metion things like fan controle so the system dont get hot is also a handy tool if your using linux for long term times. gentoox was my xbox distro when my regular pc whent down  and my xbox was serving as a backup pc and gentoox and the xbox handeld it very well.