xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Install Mandrake Help Please  (Read 110 times)

philly33flyers

• Archived User
Install Mandrake Help Please
« on: April 05, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »

Hey.  I just downloaded the mandrake distribution for xbox and i wanted to get some help on how to install it.  can i follow the same guide as the "ed's debian install" that's pinned here or is it different?  I went to xbox-linux site and it was saying something about a software preparation on a memory unit.  but it seems like that's if you don't have a modded xbox.  If someone could please give me a quick explanation on how to install or even a step by step, but if that's too much then just a quick explanation would be great.  I want to just have it as an option on evox to run linux as i still want to be able to play games and such.  if someone could please help me out i would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!!

Code-X

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 10:25:00 AM »

I wouldn't recommend Mandrake as its not actively developed, try Gentoox instead, lots of support for that.

philly33flyers

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

thanks for the advice...any idea on where i might get that...and a guide on how to install?  thanks again in advance

fire2501

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »

u can get it at the gentoox.shallax.com website, just type in google search gentoox shallax, and its the first one that comes up then go to downloads and download the home edition... its pretty streight forward from there and easy to install

philly33flyers

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 10:08:00 AM »

hey thanks for all the help i really appreciate it!

just one more question though...i have a modded xbox where C and E are obviously for the xbox and then i have an F drive with games and vids and such.  If i try to install to the F drive will all my games be lost?   basically how can i install this so that i don't lose anything?  thanks again and sorry if this is stupid.

death_driver_911

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »

well this is what i did. i got a new hdd (120g) and have all my games and apps on my F drive. i had nothing on my E except for gamesaves and stuf. i knew i was never goin to use the E drive again so i installed it on the E drive. i would recomend using the E drive install.