xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wmp 11 And Streaming From Network Share  (Read 93 times)

Terrorbyte

• Archived User
Wmp 11 And Streaming From Network Share
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:57:00 PM »

I store all my media (movies, music, etc.) on a server running Win 2008 Enterprise on a 2 TB RAID 10 array. This array is mapped to my Vista Ultimate workstation (on same Gigabit private LAN), which is where I have WMP 11 set up for media sharing. I've added all of the directories within the mapped network share as "monitored folders", and set up the entire array (F$ on the Win 2008 server) for ANONYMOUS LOGON, including running a cacl command to set those anonymous logon (for read access) across the entire drive. I also added the registry key, EnableRemoteContentSharing (set to 1 to enable), to the Media Player > Preferences > HME key.

When connecting to WMP 11 from my Xbox 360 or my PS3, none of the files on the mapped network drive show up at all, but play fine and show up within WMP 11 on my Vista workstation. Only the LOCAL media files show up and stream. It's infuriating. Did I miss anything? WTF is keeping these files from showing up on my PS3 and Xbox 360?

dawsonsXbox

• Archived User
Wmp 11 And Streaming From Network Share
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 06:16:00 AM »

Windows media player network sharing service runs under network service as default, despite you editing the permissions on the share, try using a domain account to run the service and see if you get results.

Ive also had issues with the WMP media library becoming corrupt, even just after set-up, stop the service and delete the files located in your profile under \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player
restart the service and import your media back in.

GL