xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DivX 'not happy' with Microsoft  (Read 387 times)

torbjorn

• Archived User
DivX 'not happy' with Microsoft
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »

to bad ms didnt get the MKV..

what a noobs

EugeneE

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(krawhitham @ Jan 19 2009, 11:59 PM) View Post

They never recovered from paying off Disney and others to support their divx discs

And Circuit City also never recovered from firing 3000 of their high paid workers, this is one of the things that put the nail in the coffin for Circuit City.

QUOTE(Exist2Resist @ Jan 19 2009, 04:59 PM) View Post

Quit WHINING!! @ Divx

So MS opted for the free option now they are crying, oh well competition is a good thing.
Xvid decodes Divx just fine, and I'm sure they will follow suit and decode MKV shortly.
Sweet.

I agree, Divx is just whining because MS went with the XVID codec which is open source. To me, Divx sounds ticked off because MS used XVID instead of Divx.

Well, the owners of Divx have to get it in their head that it's competition, they will have to live with it.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(MrFish @ Jan 20 2009, 08:41 PM) View Post

I still find it hilarious that the 360 supports mac HFS+ (which Microsoft had no hand in), and doesn't support NTFS, Windows' native filesystem.

According to the internets, HFS+ disks plugged into a 360 don't have the 4GB file or 2TB partition limits caused by fat32. But I've not tried it.

I just find it funny that by doing that you can use your Microsoft Xbox 360 ™ with Mac and Linux, but not with Microsoft™ Windows™ XP™ or Microsoft™ Windows™ Vista™.

Yep, HFS+ connected drives can play back files over 4GB (over 12GB in fact but I don't have anything bigger on my external HDD).

I think the HFS+ compatibility is a throwback from the iPod support which Microsoft offered, since Mac owners can choose to have their iPod formatted with either FAT of HFS+.

I think NTFS support should really be on Microsoft's list of formats to support. As you rightly said, it *is* their format after all.

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(CsL @ Jan 19 2009, 09:21 PM) View Post

I do know that.
I think you are the one who is confused.

But you said:
;)

A DVD-Video would be much larger than 7GB when it's not compressed. I'm sure you know this.

720*576 Pixel = 414720 Pixel
Truecolor = 24bpp
414720*24 = 9953280bits per frame
PAL = 25 frames / second
9953280*25 = 248832000bits per second
90mins = 5400 seconds
90 mins = 1343692800000bits = 156,4264GB

You are correct.

As I said I don't compress and re-compress DVD's or CD's anymore.
I just use DVDShrink or DVDFAB to rip the whole movie as one file and stream it.

Why would I ever want to decompress an MPEG into RAW video?
It wont make it look better and it wont give you the original source.

I don't know why you are splitting hairs on this.

QUOTE(ubiman @ Jan 20 2009, 07:16 AM) View Post

Dude, what do you think MPEG is and what it does?

Here is a hint: It's not a lawn mower and it doesn't cut grass.

Here is a hint: your a jack@ss
You are so wrong on so many levels it makes my head hurt.
Go back and read again before you continue to look like a fool.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(dangerpaki @ Jan 22 2009, 05:09 PM) View Post

i suppose you are talking about WMV files here, since i couldn;t get my MP4 files played if they were over 4gb, and i have HFS+

Sorry, yes. Whilst the storage file system can be amended, the file type cannot - hopefully MS see the light and enable more video types although in their eyes, since WMV is very well supported there's no real need to.

QUOTE(erexx @ Jan 22 2009, 06:49 PM) View Post

Why would I ever want to decompress an MPEG into RAW video?
It wont make it look better and it wont give you the original source.

I don't know why you are splitting hairs on this.

Basically because your first post in this thread stated

I don't use compression anymore for Movies (DVD) or Music (WAV)

Both formats mentioned are compressed versions of the raw format, which makes your statement contradictory. What you should've said was you don't use higher forms of compression for these formats.

The guy's just putting you right, so why not just accept the correction and move on ...  pop.gif

Norco

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 04:09:00 AM »

I remember back around '97 when we still had Futureshop in the US looking at both Divx and DVD. When you found out that your discs expired after a couple days, it was like a no brainer. Not to mention I believe the quality of Divx was nothing to get excited about. It's funny how long its taken DVD to become a standard. It seems like its taken FOREVER for stores to change over to DVD... for some ungodly reason people were just attached to their VHS machines at the hip.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 05:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(Norco @ Jan 26 2009, 05:45 AM) View Post

I remember back around '97 when we still had Futureshop in the US looking at both Divx and DVD. When you found out that your discs expired after a couple days, it was like a no brainer. Not to mention I believe the quality of Divx was nothing to get excited about. It's funny how long its taken DVD to become a standard. It seems like its taken FOREVER for stores to change over to DVD... for some ungodly reason people were just attached to their VHS machines at the hip.

What the hell are you talking about? DIVX expireable dvds and divX compression have nothing in common. DVD took forever to be a standard?!?! What??  The only people i see buying vhs over the past 10 years is hippies, old farts a psycho people who always claim the new tech will  "never take off."

I don't get your post...... Much less any one else whining about these video formats.  They dont make money off adding it to the consoles codec library. they want you to buy games..
Pages: 1 2 [3]