xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Netflix Streaming Battlemodo: TiVo vs. Xbox 360  (Read 121 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Netflix Streaming Battlemodo: TiVo vs. Xbox 360
« on: December 09, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | December 9 21:43 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gizmodo.com:

Now that Netflix's Watch Instantly is on both TiVo and Microsoft's Xbox 360, the natural question for you, Señor and Señorita tech enthusiast, is which one of these two should YOU use to watch Netflix on. The answer, surprisingly, is whichever one you want.

Video Quality: Tie.
Navigation: Tie.
General UI: Tie.

What these ratings mean for you is that you're fine watching Netflix on whichever device you currently have, and shouldn't feel the need to go out and buy the other one. If you've got TiVo and Xbox 360, we'd prefer TiVo's implementation because of the fast forwarding and rewinding feature.

Full Story: gizmodo.com

iceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »

Tivo until Sony gets their crap together and lets us Xbox users use what the hell we pay for. WTF

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »

Blah.

I still think it's cool we have it on 360. I re-joined Netflix after many years just to try it out on my 360 for the free trial month. After 2 days, I cancelled my free trial without even watching a movie streaming for more than 15 minutes.

To me it's worthless. I refuse to watch standard def. dvd and I refuse to watch streaming Netflix. Why? I want true 1080p, high bitrate video and hd audio tracks (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA). I am an a/v enthusiast and won't watch a new movie unless I buy it on Blu-ray for the a/v reasons. I want to get every bit out of a movie to take full advantage of my $6,000 home theater setup.

Nonetheless, it's still way-cool we can stream Netflix through our 360's now.

Sadly, neither broadcast/cable/satellite hd service will probably ever broadcast the same video or audio quality of a Blu-ray title. It just takes up way too much bandwidth so I can't blame 'em.

alexh

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Dec 10 2008, 04:19 AM) *

Navigation: Tie.

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Dec 10 2008, 04:19 AM) *

we'd prefer TiVo's implementation because of the fast forwarding and rewinding feature.

How can it be a tie if TiVo's navigation is better?? Crap reviewers.

This post has been edited by alexh: Dec 10 2008, 12:39 PM

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Dec 9 2008, 10:19 PM) *
we'd prefer TiVo's implementation because of the fast forwarding and rewinding feature.

You can fast forward and rewind on the 360 also!  Use the triggers or the buttons on the remote.

Merkaba

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »

time to change the subject...  can we fix the main page so people don't get the wrong idea.   ph34r.gif

Illrigger

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »

Meh, I have both a Tivo HD and 360, and they are both problematic with Netflix.  

The 360 version suffers from "one bar syndrome"; after a couple hours of watching, the quality slowly drops down ("your internet connection has slowed") to the point where you can't get over one bar and the picture quality is total crap.  Even restarting the 360 doesn't remedy this, it's got to be something on the back end.  I originally chalked this up to congestion on Netflix's servers, but then the Tivo version rolled out...

The Tivo version gives 8 or 9 bars out of 10 quality at all times.  So much for the connection issue being on Netflix, it's obviously something on the 360 side.  However, the Netflix version KICKS ME OUT OF THE APP EVERY FEW MINUTES, which is even worse than the quality dropping.

I realize that this service is in its infancy, but you'd think that they would do something to make it watchable, which it barely is on the 360 and completely isn't on the Tivo.

As far as interface goes, I call BS on the Giz article.  The Tivo interface feels very "2002" - drilling down through layers of menus to get to the episode of the TV show you wanted, not having enough information listed on the layers to know whether you've seen a given episode, and dog-slow refresh times on the menus to boot.  The 360 version is lightning fast, loaded with relevant information with a single click and feels like it belongs in 2008/9 with it's big side-scrolling coverflow-esque UI.  And their BS about not being able to FF/RW?  I guess they never thought to try using a real remote instead of a game controller, in addition to being too dumb to figure out the triggers.  I've got a Logitech Harmony 360 remote to run my whole HT rig, and it works great with Netflix on the 360; there are lots of other options out there as well for a lot cheaper that would do the job.