xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Microsoft: Why Silver Xbox Live Users Can’t Access Netflix-360 Service  (Read 308 times)

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
Microsoft: Why Silver Xbox Live Users Can’t Access Netflix-360 Service
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »

i never knew M$ was money hungry. lol  I have gold and i wont ever use your crappy netflix service. if i wanted a bunch of drm crap i would have my friend kick me in the balls.

EdiT: I dont really get it. If M$ is always so money hungry, then why dont they allow everyone to purchase DRM movies ? Doesnt that mean that they are turning down money ? That excuse of adding value to current gold accounts is bullshit. Value to gold accounts should be added in a better way.

This post has been edited by tomgreen99200: Oct 10 2008, 07:20 PM

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »

albert's answer makes no sense at all. i doubt MS would route netflix traffic through live so, his argument about bandwidth costs go out the window. if all you needed was a gold live sub and no netflix sub to stream netflix to your 360 then, that would make sense. however, this makes no sense, other than the fact MS wants more gold members. i mean, why didn't he just say that instead of stumbling over his words and making up some nonbelieveable bullshit.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Oct 10 2008, 08:11 PM

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(tomgreen99200 @ Oct 10 2008, 02:15 PM) View Post

i never knew M$ was money hungry. lol  I have gold and i wont ever use your crappy netflix service. if i wanted a bunch of drm crap i would have my friend kick me in the balls.

EdiT: I dont really get it. If M$ is always so money hungry, then why dont they allow everyone to purchase DRM movies ? Doesnt that mean that they are turning down money ? That excuse of adding value to current gold accounts is bullshit. Value to gold accounts should be added in a better way.

you can still buy videos from the marketplace,the difference is that only gold members can get the netflix hookin, a completely separate feature.

microsoft makes no money from this (it is tied to your netflix account), so they make it an incentive to buy xbl gold.

PHC oMaLz

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

seriously why all the crying the uk and other countrys outside the us will not have this service so be lucky they gave you the ability to do this from your 360. I know you can steam it to your pc already and to really break it down to stream from netfix is not $15.00 it $8.00 with one dvd at a time sent to you. If you dont want to pay for it then dont use it.  also find a friend who has it and just party up with them and you will be able to watch the flick with them since they have an accout. can we use common sense here.

300+ ms point to dl a movie from live if you dl 2 movies a month is > than a $8.00 a netflix account that has instant steam..... seriously our you really going to cry over this.

This post has been edited by PHC oMaLz: Oct 10 2008, 09:55 PM

ir0nw0lf

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(794 @ Oct 10 2008, 06:21 PM) *

while i agree that no one should whine about the cost of XBL since it is so cheap - i, too, am left wondering concerning the arguments about increased bandwidth and such.  it seems like you are just paying MS for the privilege to use netflix on their service.

netflix streaming normally costs (1) netflix subscription, (2) internet service, and (3) PC.  Using it on the 360 costs (1) netflix subscription, (2) internet service, (3) 360, and (4) XBL service.  it does lend more credit to the benefits of a gold membership and so maybe keeping it off silver reinforces those with gold memberships the value of their product - regardless if they participate with netflix.

Technically, unless you only use your ISP and PC/Xbox 360 for Netflix, then the cost of the internet service, PC and/or Xbox 360 are moot and irrelevant points in this case, since you would already have them.  That makes the only honest cost issue the Gold service + Netflix, and if you already have Netflix w/streaming even that is a moot cost.  I am on the fence over MS requiring Gold in this case.  I think a more honest explanation would be in order from them.

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

Although it sucks, it is a wise business decision. MS has to add value to the customer, but they also have to add value to themselves. What they should do is add a bronze account(free) and charge $20/yr for a silver account for all features other than online gaming. Just a thought.

trey85stang

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Fyb3roptik @ Oct 10 2008, 04:22 PM) *

Wow...i love it when people bitch about gold....listen....its $50/yr. If you cant afford that go mow some lawns or something geez...
I mean if you already have netflix, then why are you bitching? You pay netflix $15/month to use the streaming service, so suck it up and spend $50 for a yr of xbl.....

you're bitching about it too are you not?  hypocrite?  Ill just spend $100 on the roku rather then pay $50/yr to stream netflix over the xbox.

QUOTE(DMAddict @ Oct 10 2008, 11:02 PM) *

Although it sucks, it is a wise business decision. MS has to add value to the customer, but they also have to add value to themselves. What they should do is add a bronze account(free) and charge $20/yr for a silver account for all features other than online gaming. Just a thought.

online gaming should be free.... everything else they can charge for.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Oct 10 2008, 12:37 PM) View Post

microsoft makes no money from this (it is tied to your netflix account), so they make it an incentive to buy xbl gold.

I would imagine they do.  They put money into the dev of the dash integration etc..

I look at it this way... Netflix approaches MS with an idea....

NF - Let 360 users stream our movies through your console.
MS - Whats in it for us?
NF - 10 cents per gamertag/year
MS - Thats cool, we have 30 million + gamertags issued.
NF - Errr....ummmm... how many  LIVE Gold subscribers do you have?
MS - 10 million...
NF - USA only.
MS - 6 million
NF - Ok we will go with that one instead.
MS - Ok, but we want 10c per year for LIVE Gold members and 3c per show streamed....
NF - $^%&%$#*.....ok

Does the ability to stream Netflix help MS sell consoles??  Probably not many..... Does it help Netflix sell subscriptions??? Probably lots more.

Mystakill

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Fyb3roptik @ Oct 10 2008, 10:22 AM) *
Wow...i love it when people bitch about gold....listen....its $50/yr. If you cant afford that go mow some lawns or something geez...

It's not the cost; it's the principle.  Netflix is Microsoft's purported value-add for Gold for those of who gave up on multiplayer (XBL beta '02 to this past March for those who care...)  Penello's answer is complete BS, and I'm pretty tired of his thinly-veiled contempt for his own customers.  If he performed this poorly anywhere else, he'd have been out on his ass a long time ago.

Personally, I'd rather spend $100 on a Roku box, which can play streams from Netflix, Starz, and others as future deals are negotiated.  There's also TVersity and PlayON software for streaming quite a bit more (Youtube, CNN, Hulu, streaming radio, etc.), and both of those will also work on my PS3 when my 360 RRoD's again.  Four out of my five 360s RRoDed.  The fifth one probably would have, but it was DOA on arrival from the McAllen, TX service center (they shipped it DHL...)

I also recently upgraded both my computer and my wife's to XP after two years of fighting with 64-bit Vista  Enough's enough.  Too much of Microsoft's management is obviously asleep at the wheel.

This post has been edited by Mystakill: Oct 12 2008, 04:05 AM

eramir

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »

I have a nexflix sub and no gold member sub the facts are MS jumped at the chance to make more money. I was debating between another  PS3 or a 360. I'm going w/the PS3. It's not the amount for gold but MS contiues to make mistakes, I think the only reason things at MS haven't change is because of brand loyalty.
I don't have near as much problems streaming content from my PC to my PS3 as I do streaming to my 360, MS has an update my 360 streaming is screwed until I make time to research for a solution (don't know why there both run MS software???)
MS mistakes:
Trying to push HD DVD
360 was 399 and HD DVD was 199.00 ----399+199= same as a PS3 but you didn't need that add-on to think about.
Window Vista- memory hog
charging for one care...wtf

Don't get me wrong I do play games on the 360 but if the game comes out on both systems I'll purchase it for the PS3. Unless it's a 360 exlusive
Maybe someone from MS will read some of these forums and try to make changes, or.....................maybe not. lol

But after venting I'm still waiting for Gears of War2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

This post has been edited by eramir: Oct 14 2008, 06:03 PM

synthetamine

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(muppetnuts @ Oct 10 2008, 04:44 AM) View Post

Will we be getting the netflix service in the UK, or do we have to wait and wait for the BT equivalent?

Will it be a public or private tracker? Will trade for demonoid
Pages: 1 [2]