xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wmv Shows Pic On Video But Mpg Does Not?  (Read 119 times)

TeleFragger

• Archived User
Wmv Shows Pic On Video But Mpg Does Not?
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »

ok... so I just got all my mp3's organized with album covers and all.....
I also have 16 mini dv tapes that i ripped to raw avi format and they are HUGE
the 360 wont play them... now it does show the picture preview on the files but wont play them so im guessing it is the audio codec that is wrong..

so I used movie maker on the vista box and converted a few to wmv and it is all good.... they play fine are alot smaller than the raw avi's.... just for testing I tried a few mpg converter programs... free ones..
and even though they did work... the video preview on the file doesnt work.... it just shows the file name in the big box.... but when you run it.. the file plays just great - but the resolution didnt look as good.. guessing the settings must not have been good....

so I am going to convert all my files to .wmv (740x480 @ 30fps) unless there is a better way to be able to view them remotely...

I am just half tempted to put a pc in the entertainment center so I can have everything as divx....
I also use beyondtv for tv recordings.... so have to do wmv just to get them to play through the 360 too...

so recap as all that you probably dont realize the question..
1. why does mpg not show video preview?
2. any other format better to use to stream from pc to 360? dont want to use another app to stream through...
3. any good wmv converters out there (free) that do batch? I have alot of files and movie maker is taking a while....

I think that is it for now....

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:11:00 AM »

I am just half tempted to put a pc in the entertainment center so I can have everything as divx....

Are you aware that you can just encode this stuff as divx (v5 or newer) and it'll work on the 360?

TeleFragger

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Aug 1 2008, 10:11 AM) *

Are you aware that you can just encode this stuff as divx (v5 or newer) and it'll work on the 360?

I tried that with the divx software....
but you cannot stream them from vista ultimate right?

I think a while back I had beyondtv code in divx avi format and it worked... only if I put the show on a pen drive...

is there a way to put them on the vista ultimate machine and have it play?

I was using the old xbox with xbmc....as it works great.. but thought id like to get rid of it and just use the 360.
plus the family videos need to be converted anyway as in raw format the xbox1 doesnt like to play them streamed.... real choppy....

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

Why would you even want to stream them via Vista, especially as they'll play via WMP or TVersity with no transcoding needed smile.gif