xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hd-wmv Or H.264. Which Is Better To Recode?  (Read 66 times)

thomazff

• Archived User
Hd-wmv Or H.264. Which Is Better To Recode?
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »

Hi, I just bought a X360 and will be streaming my movies with WMP11 to my xbox360.

I will need to put subtitles on all my movies, since english isn't my primary language, and doesn't have all that knowledge about the codecs.

My main doubts are:

Which is faster to recode? I use a AMD 64 X2 3800+.

Which will give me a better quality? Without having to leave my PC on forever.

Which can keep the 5.1 audio?

PS: All sources are mkv or xvix.

jev3gs

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »

I really can't answer all your questions, except one important question.  If you want to do HD quality with 5.1 audio your only choice is WMV.  I believe all the other codecs have a 2GB limit for video sizes if you want 5.1 audio.  I would just stick with WMV.  It currently takes me about 5-8 hours to 2 do a 2 hour video.  I would stick with WMV, it has been working great for me.

robert74

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(jev3gs @ Jul 30 2008, 12:13 AM) View Post

I really can't answer all your questions, except one important question.  If you want to do HD quality with 5.1 audio your only choice is WMV.  I believe all the other codecs have a 2GB limit for video sizes if you want 5.1 audio.  I would just stick with WMV.  It currently takes me about 5-8 hours to 2 do a 2 hour video.  I would stick with WMV, it has been working great for me.

h264 will only work 2 channel stereo on xbox 360 not 5.1 so yes, wmv-hd is the best and will give you great results. Now, if you are picky and want the best quality possible...you can try Alex ZambelliĀ“s Powertoy which lets you use advance settings for the wme. The results are fantastic.