xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pachter: 1 Million Xbox Live Gold Members to Join Netflix by '09  (Read 174 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Pachter: 1 Million Xbox Live Gold Members to Join Netflix by '09
Posted by XanTium | July 25 23:27 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamedaily.com:

One of the big announcements from Microsoft during the company's E3 conference was its new partnership with Netflix to bring streaming movies from the service to Xbox Live. And while Microsoft sees the deal as a way to enhance the value of their videos service, the real winner is probably Netflix.

According to Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter, the "low hanging fruit" of 10.5 million Xbox 360 owners in the U.S. could be a boon for Netflix as it looks to add more revenue though digital services. "As Microsoft rolls out deployment of Netflix on Xbox Live, we expect to see as many as 1 million Xbox Live Gold members become Netflix customers," he said. "We think that this could happen by the end of 2009."

Full Story: gamedaily.com

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »

I know I've been thinking about it.

Kerii

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »

94.3% of analysts still full of shit and making up numbers by mid 2011.

News bloggers still gobbling it up and reporting said numbers to fluff up their site till the end of time.

Kerii

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »

Well then, please DO explain why the number he arrived at is so logical?

Why is 1 million more likely than 1/4 or 1/2 a million? How about 3 million? 6 million?

There are so many variables to the XBL Gold + Netflix + home theatre setup + broadband access formula that would make console market share seem like child's play.

And he hasn't even gotten those predictions right.

An HD Wii? Complete total PS3 domination by end of the generation? The guy's a complete utter nutcase that just pulls numbers and ideas out of his ass.

Tiptup300

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:55:00 AM »

I won't be in that million... I have slow internet, so it's either:

- wait a few hours to download a movie for a monthly fee.
OR
- wait a few hours to download a movie.

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »

i know  i will get it since its cheaper than going to the video store....

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »

I already have Netflix and use a home-theater PC for streaming - however, I'll give the xbox service a shot when it comes out just for the fact that the 360's boot time is considerabley shorter...

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »

I'm considering signing up myself since I don't have any premium cable channels.  The only thing holding me back is there is no HD content as far as I know.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(Tiuk @ Jul 26 2008, 05:50 PM) View Post

Can't get it in Canada, and even if I could, my shitty ISP has a hard cap of 60 Gb/month. I'm not going to blow a large chunk of it streaming netflix videos.

Trying living of 25GB cap a month...Rip off britain FTL sad.gif and let me guess if they ever launch netflix here it will be a bomb...think Ill stick to finding some dirt cheap HD-DVD's thanks dry.gif

thepunisher302

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »

I'm guessing this feature will allow you to stream as many movies as you'd like for a monthly fee rather than having to pay-per-movie like XBL already offers, or am I wrong?

iLLNESS

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(thepunisher302 @ Jul 26 2008, 08:04 PM) View Post

I'm guessing this feature will allow you to stream as many movies as you'd like for a monthly fee rather than having to pay-per-movie like XBL already offers, or am I wrong?

exactly how it works

pretty much ALL the netflix packages have internet streaming/downloading so get the cheapest one if u dont plan on getting any hardcopies sent to you

i think its like $8 a month with unlimited 'rentals' via the netflix online service..

and as for this not being in canada... i dont think canada and the us have a different region system on xbox live so unless netflix doesnt allow canadian memberships it should happen on live. and it netflix still doesnt, just use a fake address and confirm your payments with your bank when signing up with netflix. just dont send anything out and use internet only

thepunisher302

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 02:32:00 AM »

Sounds good to me, $8.00 a month for something better than any movie channel you'd pay for on cable? Sign me up.

Mystakill

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »

I don't understand the Gold requirement, other than as an extortion point to bump up Gold subscriber counts.  I just canceled my Gold account last month after having once since the beta on Xbox 1.

I'd rather pick up a Roku Netflix box than renew my Gold membership just to watch old Netflix content.  I'm already paying Netflix to watch their content; why should I have to pay Microsoft *every year* too?

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

For one, you can get two years of the xbox live gold service for the price of that box and also you can play games online.  There isn't much point to owning a 360 if you don't play online unless you really like single player games.

My only concern is that I canceled my Netflix account a few months ago, but from what I remember, it was only the older movies that you could stream.  I dont remember ever seeing a new release that had the option to stream.  Hopefully with all these new customers they will be getting, they will do something about that to give us a better service.

This post has been edited by trentdadi: Jul 27 2008, 07:04 PM

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

I think the streaming service mainly benefits those that are interested in the TV episodes available - it allowed my wife and I to catch up on HEROS smile.gif  Sweet deal
Pages: [1] 2