xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Media Center Extender Shootout: 360 vs Linksys vs D-Link Extender  (Read 127 times)

DeMoN_DARREN

• Archived User

Thank god my Shuttle PC is linked straight to the HDTV.... (show off....)

If i was looking for an extender, I would go with the 360 thought, for the same reason I would go with the PS3 for a blu-ray player

Mr. Me

• Archived User
The Media Center Extender Shootout: 360 vs Linksys vs D-Link Extender
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »

Linux Media Center beats all.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »

I have no problems with my 360MCE set-up with my Vista Home Premium x64 PC why would I want to buy another unit. Also a lot of people use Tversity which is free as well and does nearly all MCE does. Surely if you have a 360 you wouldn't really be bothered by much of the noise it makes since you are already used to it?

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(xjustsumloserx @ Jun 20 2008, 06:58 AM) View Post

so is being able to use multiple extenders the only main difference between the XP media center and vista?  I am wanting to set up a mediacenter/extender sometime soon, but I was more leaning to do LinuxMCE.  Are there any other advantages to using vistas?
I don't know about using multiple ones, but Vista has more features than XP's version. Looks better too, imo.

Johnwinger

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »

I have both the 360 and the PS3.

I use my 360 more for media sharing than my PS3 because the PS3 has so many issues with media sharing, such as file type incompatibilites and slow transfer rates.

The 360 has a huge range of support and is amazing even for High-Definition content. Easily fast forward and rewind just like a normal DVD movie.

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »

Sage TV kicks the crap out of both of them.  It has all the same options as MCE and a few more (like online streaming) at it costs less for the program and extenders.  My dad is presently running 3 on his.  And it has Windows and Linux versions.

XBMC kicks the crap out of all of them but I don't think it counts as an extender.

ryanpeterson

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »

Why limit yourself to such limited file formats?  Check out PopcornHour  pop.gif , http://www.popcornho...om/onlinestore/, where you can play any format available.  Granted, it doesn't have the slick UI that the XBox has, but being able to play just about any movie type makes up for that.  Just throwing another option into the mix since the existing media extenders are so terribly limited.