xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Watching Hd Movies / Shows On The 360  (Read 83 times)

BoDEAN

• Archived User
Watching Hd Movies / Shows On The 360
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »

No responses. Hmm

Metsada

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »

nope, the xbox supports various codecs. One of them is indeed xvid/divx. But also the h264 codec is supported.

This means that you can watch a lot of the hd series posted on the web, the problem is that you often need to recode a little bit. The xbox only supports a select number of different containers like: avi, mpeg, mp4 and wmv. Most of the hdrips are posted as mkv's, although its still the same codec, your xbox will not understand the format. There is however an easy fix that can be achieved by various programs. One of them is GoTsent. With this program you can extract the video and audio from a mkv file and put it in another container such as mp4. With GoTsent this will only take 5 minutes. (because you dont need to recode the entire video).

The only downside to this method is that you are restricted to stereo audio since the xbox only supports 5.1 sound when it comes in a wmv container. A lot of the movies/series posted on usenet can be downloaded as hdwmv, giving you hd quality videos and 5.1 sound.

reddragon72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Metsada @ Mar 17 2008, 06:58 AM) View Post

The only downside to this method is that you are restricted to stereo audio since the xbox only supports 5.1 sound when it comes in a wmv container. A lot of the movies/series posted on usenet can be downloaded as hdwmv, giving you hd quality videos and 5.1 sound.

First the gotsent method has horable sound quality since it does 2ch AAC lowend.

second the WMV and Xvid/Divx containers do 5.1 surround. WMV is using the WMA codec and Xvid uses AC3. Right now HD movie reencoded in Xvid with 5.1 AC3 will stutter do to an issue with the 360 Xvid codec. I am currently working on that. But as of now HD with 5.1 can only be done in the WMV-HD format which is covered very clearly and thouroughly in ChrisLynch posts. Just do a search for him and visit this site to see all the info on the 360's playback FAQ's http://blogs.msdn.co...ayback-faq.aspx

BoDEAN

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »

Well I'm trying to watch the first season of Farscape.  The files are .avi
It is said to be a "(DVDrip)"

When I copy them over to the 360, they are listed, however when i try viewing them, I get a codec error. So the best way to solve this is what?

BoDEAN

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »

Overwhelmed by the help here...wow.

I guess I will just use this app AVI Recomp.  Its a tedious process doing it to each file, but it works. Too bad there isn't a more efficient way.

Silus_Wyvern

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »

Farscape is a good show currently watching season three smile.gif I'd say easiest solution to your problem would be use TVersity and stream it. TVersity can transcode on the fly to a format that makes your 360 happy. Long as you have the codecs on your pc your good to go that and your not using a weak pc.

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »

Well I'm trying to watch the first season of Farscape. The files are .avi
It is said to be a "(DVDrip)"

also we do not support piracy