xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Does Ms Get Subtitles In Xbl Movies?  (Read 84 times)

dbldown768

• Archived User
How Does Ms Get Subtitles In Xbl Movies?
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »

So it seems im kinda stuck encoding movies in WMV format, if want to watch them through Media center extender.  I know i can play divx from the blade, however i would rather use the MCE interface.  Can someone tell me how MS handles movies downloaded from XBL that contain subtitles?  Do they display them, or to they only offer movies that dont have them.  As far as i know, you can only force subtitles to be always on in a movie, or completely off?

chrislynch

• Archived User
How Does Ms Get Subtitles In Xbl Movies?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(dbldown768 @ Mar 7 2008, 07:46 AM) View Post

So it seems im kinda stuck encoding movies in WMV format, if want to watch them through Media center extender.  I know i can play divx from the blade, however i would rather use the MCE interface.  Can someone tell me how MS handles movies downloaded from XBL that contain subtitles?  Do they display them, or to they only offer movies that dont have them.  As far as i know, you can only force subtitles to be always on in a movie, or completely off?

Subtitle display in WMV is not an on or off setting.  They are burnt into the video, with no way of "turning them off."  If you are encoding to WMV, you will need to enable subtitle filters (either in TMPGEnc, or VobSub & Haali Media Splitter, etc.) to burn in the subtitles while you encode.

I too find it upsetting that Microsoft still has yet to add Divx/Xvid codec support with the Media Center Extender component of the 360.  I too use MCE to watch my movie collection.  Just all of them are in WMV format, not Divx/Xvid.