xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microsoft: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Officially Discontinued  (Read 226 times)

gsmiley

• Archived User
Microsoft: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Officially Discontinued
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 12:51:00 AM »

I am cleaning up on hd-dvd movies now that they are so cheap. I can't wait to get Beowulf on tuesday. HD-DVD may be dead, but there are a few movies and box sets worth getting.

m3kal

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 04:07:00 AM »

We'll im glad its came to an end anyway, i was going to buy the hd player but it was worth the wait, ive got myself the ps3 now for blu ray films and also it can be updated unlike the standalone blu ray players!

rob7bt

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 04:33:00 AM »

Does any one on here think microsoft might even go with the newer HD-VMD?

i.e:
http://www.nmeinc.com/ML777S.htm

spoone

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »

i remember MS talking about choice for the customer when they released the HD DVD addon.
well, the choice was made... sad.gif
the brand playstation is still very strong and sony might be able to achieve their goals now(as in "get back to the top and dominate the consolemarket and the livingroom").
MS needs to release a blue ray addon as soon as possible.
if they released a new console in 2010 (as rumored) that would be too late because by then everyone at least would have seen a PS3 in someone elses house and already know how good it is. and why would you buy something new that nobody has any experience with and would be much more expensive because it would be MSs new console as opposed to the (by then) probably really cheap PS3?
so, MS, do what you told and offer the choice.
RELEASE A BR ADDON!!!

spoone

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(Seina @ Feb 24 2008, 08:26 AM) View Post

Blu-Ray is still competing with DVD. Until then it's just like Laserdisc, a videophile format. Microsoft won't need to worry about it until their next console.

Are you really serious?
If HD-DVD won would it be the the LaserDisc "videophile" format?

They were equal formats and rivals to the bitter end.

Yes, it will replace DVD and be the format of choice in 5 years.
From there it will last another 10. (a brave prediction I know)
By then we will be looking at a mature HDTV industry and the next generation of HD storage media.
And maybe even by then DLC might be able to compete but until that day it will only compliment the home theater experience.

QUOTE(rob7bt @ Feb 24 2008, 12:09 PM) View Post

Does any one on here think microsoft might even go with the newer HD-VMD?

i.e:
http://www.nmeinc.com/ML777S.htm

No.
Its a step backwards.
I think we will see a Blu-Ray add-on before then.
But we might see a XBMC360 homebrew port that could support everything HD-VMD could and more...
thats if homebrew ever gets a strong foot hold on the 360.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »

Meh guess I have some history in my room. It still works glad they are supporting warranty an all, although I am tempted to mod it.

Now I just need a load of cheap movies XDXD.

Shod

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »

Id of thought the next logical step AFTER disc based distribution would be "solid state" distribution, such as SD card / Memory sticks etc etc.

Once things have moved to the point where you can get enough space to fit a full HD movie + extras on a memory stick (for example), then surely this will be the distribution choice for the future?

Disc based content can  be slow to load, can get damaged easily, jumps and skips when using it on the move (portable dvd players etc), and just generally old tech.

Distributing HD movies on solid state means that they are quick to load (think menus, features etc), harder to break, and ready to use straight away in whatever device you wanna use it on wether it be at home or on the move (portable devices are getting more popular) without having to rip it and mess about with it.

Games, movies, audio can all be distributed in the same way - also think about DRM for copy protection etc and to me this seems like the obvious choice in the longer term.

EDIT: - That HD-VMD thing just looks like a re-packaged HD-DVD to me, don't really see the difference?

Johnwinger

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »

So long...fair well you piece of junk Microsoft product.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Feb 24 2008, 12:03 AM) View Post

I completely disagree that DL is the way to go in the future.. it will NEVER be mainstream...for a couple reasons..1) the VERY thing you mention... Bitrates... ISP's can't handle HD streaming, plain and simple.. I can't even fathom the amount of bandwidth they'd need to allocate just to support all their customers stream HD.
 2) Customers won't go for it.. most people are practical they want to OWN what they buy, they don't want a DL, they want to physically be able to hold it...
 Why do you think there has been no major DVD quality streaming?? bandwidth.. and you honestly think people will buy a DL and never have a hard copy?

3) The picture quality of downloaded HD movies and the picture quality of HD-DVD/Blu-ray movies are far off I believe. The "true" HD experience is with a HD-DVD/Blu-ray player. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

QUOTE(spoone @ Feb 24 2008, 06:27 AM) View Post

i remember MS talking about choice for the customer when they released the HD DVD addon.
well, the choice was made... sad.gif
the brand playstation is still very strong and sony might be able to achieve their goals now(as in "get back to the top and dominate the consolemarket and the livingroom").
MS needs to release a blue ray addon as soon as possible.
if they released a new console in 2010 (as rumored) that would be too late because by then everyone at least would have seen a PS3 in someone elses house and already know how good it is. and why would you buy something new that nobody has any experience with and would be much more expensive because it would be MSs new console as opposed to the (by then) probably really cheap PS3?
so, MS, do what you told and offer the choice.
RELEASE A BR ADDON!!!

spoone

I still would love a dual format add on... but I doubt MS would go through the trouble of doing that after ditching HD-DVD.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Shod @ Feb 24 2008, 05:48 PM) View Post

Id of thought the next logical step AFTER disc based distribution would be "solid state" distribution, such as SD card / Memory sticks etc etc.

Once things have moved to the point where you can get enough space to fit a full HD movie + extras on a memory stick (for example), then surely this will be the distribution choice for the future?

Disc based content can  be slow to load, can get damaged easily, jumps and skips when using it on the move (portable dvd players etc), and just generally old tech.

Distributing HD movies on solid state means that they are quick to load (think menus, features etc), harder to break, and ready to use straight away in whatever device you wanna use it on wether it be at home or on the move (portable devices are getting more popular) without having to rip it and mess about with it.

Games, movies, audio can all be distributed in the same way - also think about DRM for copy protection etc and to me this seems like the obvious choice in the longer term.
EDIT: - That HD-VMD thing just looks like a re-packaged HD-DVD to me, don't really see the difference?

Disc based content doesn't load that slowely. In fact, I spend more time waiting for the 'unskippable' scenes reminding me not to pirate the movie to finish (seriously, aren't these just keeping honest people honest?), than I do for all loading time. While downloaded 'HD' content from the marketplace may look better than DVD content, I must admit it looks very similar to upscaled content. Aside from that, it takes quite a while to download these 7+GB movies from XBL (while we're speaking of load times). With MS's recent addition of x.264 support, I'm suprised they don't use it for delivering better HD content (beats WMV). Lastly, if the movies didn't expire in 3 days, it'd probably be a lot more appealing (especially if you compare against Comcast's 'On Demand' service).

Even if you don't consider all the above, then consider that the cost of manufacturing SD cards and such is greater than the cost of disc manufacturing (in other words, making a disc, costs less than making a disk).

mikeyblueyes

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

this is the end of hd-dvd.now blu ray is the new format,i hope they make a blu ray player

88 Ecko Unltd 88

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »

r they gonna take them off the shelf or are they going to continue to sell them till their all sold?

Arch0n

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 04:21:00 AM »

I think that now the HD DVD add-on has been discontinued,  we'll see a BR add-on at some point in the near future. It would be dangerous for M$ to ignore it and continue with this "our console sales are all about the games" mantra because now the competion is offering not only a pathway into next gen gaming but simulateously a clear cut path into HD home video.

We're not looking at a 2004 scenario where 'everyone' either has a PS2, gamecube or xbox. We're looking at a very large untapped market who can now ask themselves whether they want HD video at a reasonable price with their next gen console without the previous confusion of which format is best/will last the longest.

Andronicus

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »

Any guesses at how long untill M$ has a Blue-Ray add-on?

Based on previous statments from M$, I would suspect that they will have one out either early summer, or for the Christmas rush.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »

Several problems with HD-VMD though.  Don't get me wrong, I love what they have done but there is the following to consider:

1. Thus far outside of the one website there is no way to purchase movies or players here in the US (other websites or B&M stores)
2. The hardware costs more at this point than HD-DVD
3. They only have 125 titles ATM and many of them are the Bollywood type titles which don't appeal to most here in the US.

Point is that if HD-DVD failed with a much larger market proliferation and cheaper hardware with more titles I don't see how players that are more expensive and an i-net only purchasing method is going to take off.  Furthermore I haven't seen any new releases added to the existing list or even a coming soon and that list has been around for at least 2 months.
Pages: 1 [2] 3