xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Microsoft: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Officially Discontinued  (Read 225 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Officially Discontinued
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 23 20:10 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From Microsoft's Xbox PR Blog:

As a result of recent decisions made by Toshiba, Hollywood studios, and retailers, Microsoft plans to withdraw from HD DVD.  Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360, but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support for all Xbox 360 HD DVD Players in the market.  As we stated earlier, we do not believe this decision will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace.  HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own.

wilson2010

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »

i'd buy one if the freaking thing was cheaper  smile.gif

biscoito

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »

it makes me wonder ... can a HD-DVD player be used as a DVD upconverter ?

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(biscoito @ Feb 23 2008, 10:28 PM) View Post

im fairly certain TwistedSymphony stated in another thread that without either an HDMI or a VGA cable that you can not upconvert.

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »

They can't get much cheaper on ebay. About $50 including shipping and a few movies.

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(wilson2010 @ Feb 24 2008, 03:24 AM) View Post

i'd buy one if the freaking thing was cheaper  smile.gif

Clearly MS will not issue an official price drop for it, but I expect shops will want to clear stock ... so they'll start selling it cheaper soon.

QUOTE(biscoito @ Feb 24 2008, 03:28 AM) View Post

The Xbox360 can already upconvert DVDs without HD DVD Addon.
If you're talking about standalone HD DVD players, yes they can be used to upconvert DVDs and they are pretty good at it considering the price shops are now selling these devices for.

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »

Holy Cow!  I didn't see that coming.

jester.gif

qweewqaz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »

this sux sad.gif

HackMy360

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »

This could be the end of HD DVD sad.gif  sad.gif

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(HackMy360 @ Feb 24 2008, 05:09 AM) View Post

This could be the end of HD DVD sad.gif  sad.gif

lol your kidding right? Or have you been in a cave for a few weeks?

deeceefar2

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »

As much as Microsoft would like to claim they have comparable HD media, the stuff on xbox live doens't even compare in quality.  So in my opinion even with the low attach rates of the HD DVD drive they still have to come out with a blu-ray drive.  If they dont' then I along with many other techies are going to be recomending to friends who are looking for a blu-ray player to buy a PS3.  That is going to turn out to be a HUGE market boost for Sony.  They just have to throw a small amount of marketing at it and everyone will be buying PS3s as the next gen video disc player, and xbox 360 is going to be left out in the cold for anyone looking for HD disc players.

Before someone jumps on me and claims that the Xbox Live market place is great for High Def content; It isn't!  Not only isn't there an option to buy, but most if not all of the content has very low bit rates, not that much better then DVDs when compared to blu ray.  Let's not forget the lack of even 5.1 audio support in most of the movies as well.  Don't get me wrong I think download is the way to go in the future, just Microsoft is botching that lately.  They need more content, it ALL should have at least 5.1 audio, HD content needs to double in bit rate, they need to have options to purchase content or a subscription service, they need to improve the player controls a bit(my XBMC box pwns it) and all that needs to be out in the next 3 months.

If it isn't, PS3 is the console to get for HD content because there are farm more sources for Blu-rays then there are for xbox-live downloaded movies.  I'd guess most people, myself included who have been holding off purchasing until the war was over, well that time is now.  Microsoft is caught without much of an offering in the HD content area, and they aren't squawking if they have any new improvements to their service coming.  Just as icing on the cake, as much as I love my 360, I wouldnt' be surprised to see Sony pass it in overall sales just after Christmas this year.  Unlike the 360 the PS3 is quiet, doens't have high failure rates, comes with a larger hard drive, more power for video processing, blu-ray disc playback, and many more things that make it more ideal as the market begins to mature this generation.

Just throwing this out there, I love my Xbox 360, and until now have never considered a PS3 but I'm finding it harder and harder to turn away, and let's be honest Microsoft isn't exactly doing all they can to ensure the success of the console.  I mean we still don't even have clan support in Live yet, and that should have been out when Halo 3 was released.  I hope if anything this serves as a warning to Microsoft, "you've been given all the chances in the world to succeed, but your slowly throwing them away."  

Things to do to beat Sony(forget Nintendo for the moment they're playing a different game):
1. FIX THE MANUFACTURING PROBLEMS
2. Quiet your machine
3. add blu-ray support
4. put more programmers into live feature add mode possibly raise the price 5 or 10 bucks per year
5. keep up the job with the game release schedule
6. put pressure on studios to speed up releases
7. FORCE the studios to give you at least 5.1 audio and 720p content
8. Increase hard drive size and for a REASONABLE price
9. Integrate Zune and XBox Live for Music and Movie sake
10.  Add a subscription model for the movies
11. Grit your teeth because Sony just got a whole lot more competitive

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

I completely disagree that DL is the way to go in the future.. it will NEVER be mainstream...for a couple reasons..1) the VERY thing you mention... Bitrates... ISP's can't handle HD streaming, plain and simple.. I can't even fathom the amount of bandwidth they'd need to allocate just to support all their customers stream HD.
 2) Customers won't go for it.. most people are practical they want to OWN what they buy, they don't want a DL, they want to physically be able to hold it...

Why do you think there has been no major DVD quality streaming?? bandwidth.. and you honestly think people will buy a DL and never have a hard copy?

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »

DL HD content will never work for anyone interested in a truly high def experience. You would need to download a 30GB + file to come close to the quality of audio and video you could get from a Blu-Ray or even the now defunct HD-DVD could provide.

I too download HD TV shows all the time on Live and love it. But it is by no means the type of quality I get from a real HD disk.

HackMy360

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Feb 23 2008, 08:12 PM) View Post

lol your kidding right? Or have you been in a cave for a few weeks?

LoL  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  yea I was kidding I also have the 360 HD DVD drive and although I am kinda mad that its all over I kinda wanted it to end seeing as the only movie I have is king kong I cannot wait for the clearance sales

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »

If stores drop the price to like, $30, I'd buy one. Use it as an external DVD drive, and keep the remote.
Pages: [1] 2 3