xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: HD DVD Addon Officially Drops to 130usd  (Read 812 times)

W3bD3vil

• Archived User
HD DVD Addon Officially Drops to 130usd
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigpoohead @ Feb 7 2008, 11:15 AM) *

Edit:  A http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/blu-rays-dirty-little-secret to an article about this very thing.

Very interesting article, a very very strong arguement for HDDVD. I must admit i have a player for both formats but i prefer the HDDVD format but i do buy bluray dvds aswell. I personally hope HDDVD wins, bluray is fine for gaming but that article has convinced me that the production costs of switching to bluray as opposed to HDDVD are insane. Any company that understands the situation and still insists on BluRay deserve to go bust. Its simple maths, $150,000 for an upgrade to HD format or $2,000,000 to reinvent the wheel!!! come on!!!!

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 04:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Feb 7 2008, 05:38 AM) View Post

@Flagg, According to whom?  High Def sales combined make up less than 2% of the total home entertainment industry.  To declare a winner from HD-DVD or Blu-Ray at this point is just plain dumb.  

Not really.  Except for the two studios that are required by contract to support HD-DVD for another year, every other studio has gone Blu-Ray exclusive.  It's pretty much a given that Paramount and Dreamworks will follow suit as soon as they are able to.

Furthermore if you take a look at amazon.com's best sellers list right now it is pretty telling.  The 360 HD-DVD add-on is currently outselling both models of PS3 (ranked #1 in that category).  In electronics the Toshiba A3 is currently ranked number 14 and the flagship A35 is ranked in the 60s somewhere.  THERE ARE NO STANDALONE BLU-RAY PLAYERS IN THE TOP 100 and they rarely ever show up there.  The Toshiba A3 is also the best selling high-def player at Best Buy.  

This is no big shock.  The Xbox HD-DVD add-on was dumped at $79.99 with 6 free movies.  How could it not sell at that price?  The Toshiba A3 is similarly discounted.  That's what happens when something is sold at clearance prices - it clears out.

Bottom line is that movie studios can flip-flop at the slightest increase in cash flow.  

They could, but they won't.  The studios chose blu-ray for a reason, it wasn't because blu-ray was slightly ahead, it was because the studios believed that ultimately blu-ray would win the war, and by choosing sides they can hasten the end of the format war.  The studios desperately want the format war to end, because the biggest reason that people are reluctant to buy a HD player is that a format war causes people to stand back and wait for fear of picking the next betamax.  There would be no benefit to a studio flip flopping now, as it would cause even more customer confusion, which is exactly what the studios don't want.  I know you don't want to believe it, but I don't care how many HD-DVD players Toshiba sells in the next few months, no studios will be switching back.  You may not be aware that Toshiba offered large sums of money to several studios, including Warner to go HD-DVD exclusive.  The fact that they chose to back Blu-ray exclusively for no money should show you how much the studios are interested in ending the format war.

Furthermore if you want to talk about selling things at a loss let's have a look at the PS3 which is being sold at an average loss of $125 a unit.  I can guarantee you that neither the 360 add-on, nor the Toshiba standalones are being sold at more of a loss than that.

You'd be surprised at how much of a loss Toshiba is taking on the hardware.  The models being sold for around $120 are almost certainly being sold at more than a $125 per unit loss.  Yes, the PS3 has been sold at similar and even larger losses, but that's because video game machines work on a completely different business model.  They are almost always sold at a loss because the royalties from game licensing are very large (Fees can be $20 or more per disc), whereas royalties for a consumer format like HD-DVD or Blu-ray are only pennies per disc.  It's simply not a sustainable business model to continually sell HD-DVD hardware at such a large loss, and Toshiba simply does not have the capital to sell millions of units at that kind of loss, whereas Sony can and will sell millions of PS3s at a similar hardware loss.

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 7 2008, 08:41 PM) View Post

I don't really follow correctly so may be wrong here but a film on either format released by a Studio supporting only one of the formats is not available on it's opposite format in any country.
It sounds like you are saying a BR exclusive in one country is published in another format (HD-DVD) in a different country . Not true.

Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Terminator 2 ,
Rambo, Rambo II, and Rambo III are all Blu-ray Disc exclusive in the US... whereas they are all HD DVD exclusives in Australia!

There are many many more in Europe (mainly from German, French and Dutch studios), and most of the releases include English soundtracks - the only down side is that the menus are usually not in English.

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 04:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigpoohead @ Feb 7 2008, 06:15 AM) View Post

Sorry but you are wrong, lets take bruce almight as an example, its a universal studios film, exclusive to HD-DVD in america, not available on bru-ray (Amazon) in america, but its distributed by buena vista in europe, who is a blu-ray exclusive over here, so is on blu-ray or on HDDVD on import from america from Amazon

Edit:  A link to an article about this very thing.

That article is from September, and it was true at the time.  However, Warner will definitely be stopping production of HD-DVD movies after April for all regions, and I don't believe that any BD exclusive studios are producing HD-DVD movies in any region anymore.  Amazon.co.uk turns up no movies from BD studios produced in 2008.

bigpoohead

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 05:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Flagg3 @ Feb 7 2008, 01:29 PM) View Post

..I don't believe that any BD exclusive studios are producing HD-DVD movies in any region anymore.  Amazon.co.uk turns up no movies from BD studios produced in 2008.

Like The Invasion in the UK on HD-DVD released in march, by warner.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »

I do realise that some studios supported both formats. I am referring to the fact that studios who are now exclusive to one or the other format don't still make both depending on region.
 As in the example given re- Warner.
I am in no doubt there are movies available now in both formats, that have already been released. There are bound to be as some studios were in support of both formats.
If I follow correctly you are telling me that for example future Warner (or any single format supporting studio) films will still produce and sell movies in other regions on a format they officially do not support.
 Sorry I still don't follow. I am going to re-read the article again.

QUOTE(bigpoohead @ Feb 7 2008, 01:02 PM) View Post

Like The Invasion in the UK on HD-DVD released in march, by warner.

Warner is dual format until the beginning of May.
As are some of the others I just checked. at the time of release these studios were supporting both camps.

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 7 2008, 10:41 AM) View Post

I don't really follow correctly so may be wrong here but a film on either format released by a Studio supporting only one of the formats is not available on it's opposite format in any country.

From the article
what might appear to be independent studio is often a front company for a major... back catalogs are not always owned by the original production studio even if they are still in business

It would seem the reason is down to original ownership of the film.
I misunderstood your post and thought you were referencing releases actually made and owned by single format supporting studios. I think I understand correctly now (probably not)

bigpoohead

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 7 2008, 02:10 PM) *

If I follow correctly you are telling me that for example future Warner (or any single format supporting studio) films will still produce and sell movies in other regions on a format they officially do not support.

Correct.
An example of a warner movie, after may, Twister, will be released on HD-DVD on the 17th of May.
Also take my pervious Bruce Almight example, a universal studio production, thus HD-DVD exclusive, is available on Blu-ray in europe and on HD-DVD on import from the US. This is because european studios own the rights to distribute the movies produced, and can release them on what ever format they have chosen. Warner may be exclusive in the US after may, but a studio/distributor over in another country may have distribution rights to it and be HD-DVD exclusive or format neutral.

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 7 2008, 11:10 PM) View Post

Warner is dual format until the beginning of May.

May 31st I believe it was originally - and has since been extended to mid-June I think you will find.

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 7 2008, 11:10 PM) View Post

You mean as long as that studio owns the distribution rights to that movie in EVERY country of the world - not nearly as common as you might think.

Due to this factor, and despite the Warner defection, the ratio of Blu-ray Disc titles to HD DVD titles sits currently at about 500 : 450.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2008, 06:16:00 AM »

Yes I see what you are meaning.
That being the case then why is everyone claiming it matters which side of the fence a Studio comes down on.
It would mean another country could still distribute future films on HD DVD.
So I can still find a country that will release warner films after May on HD DVD and simply import them?

bigpoohead

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 7 2008, 02:52 PM) *

Yes I see what you are meaning.
That being the case then why is everyone claiming it matters which side of the fence a Studio comes down on.
It would mean another country could still distribute future films on HD DVD.
So I can still find a country that will release warner films after May on HD DVD and simply import them?

Yes you can.
The reason people are probably complaining are for 3 reasons (mostly due to the first).
First, due to the way it is being portrayed in the media, because of who the vast majority of the large publications are owned by, people think that these exclusives will actually be exclusive all over the world, where as they likely will not, and likely because of this some shops have also decided to stop selling HD-DVD.
Second, there is the covenience of purchasing, finding and importing is harder than just going to your usual shop and buying or renting.
Third, there is the actual discs, if you import one, you may end up with menus not in your own language, I would think that you would want it in your own language.

Edit:

Also the importing of movies is less of a problem for HD-DVD, it being region free, but for blu-ray owners, if they live in a country that a movie they want in on only HD-DVD they will have a harder time playing a imported movie, they will have to hope that they can find a region free version of it or buy another region player.
Also the smaller publications probably take the press releases and other publications about the exclusives at face value, like the public will/probably has done, and write about it in that view, which is a bending of the truth, as the studios can only guarantee the exclusive distribution in the US.

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »

Someone know, how region coding work on Blu-Ray, for example: titles in europe are playable in USA?

PS: I know HD-DVD is region free

Update: Found-it: http://en.wikipedia....ay#Region_codes

You can import HD-DVD titles, but yo can't do the same for Blu-Ray (Update 2: Quote from wikipedia: As of early 2008, about two-thirds of all released discs were region-free)

bucky007

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »

Desperate measures, guessing they're trying to clear there stock before BR take over.

briguymaine

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(karmaboyx @ Feb 7 2008, 12:22 AM) View Post

$79.99 at amazon.com

hows about a linky?

eduardor2k

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(briguymaine @ Feb 7 2008, 05:10 PM) View Post

hows about a linky?

i've checked amazon dot com, and the cheapest HD-DVD addon is 100 bucks, even if the search page, says it's 79$.

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_1

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(karmaboyx @ Feb 6 2008, 04:22 PM) View Post

$79.99 at amazon.com

Um I just checked Amazon.com and the price is $155.67.

http://www.amazon.co...y...1537&sr=8-1
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6