xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Divx/xvid Faq  (Read 564 times)

NixxDaGod

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »

I'm trying to hard code subs onto a movie using AviRecomp but it keeps giving me an error saying "this file has invalid format" when i try to load the sub file. I tried with a couple different movies and got the same result. i'm using the sub files that were included with the movie i downloaded. Any suggestions?

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »

AviRecomp only supports .txt, .sub, .srt, .ass, .ssa subtitle files.
If your sub file is in a different format, you can use Subresync to change their format.  Subresync is included with Vobsub which you may already have installed on your computer, as it usually is included with various codec packs/video utilities.

If your sub file is already one of the supported formats, there may be something non-standard about it so just opening it with Subresync and then re-saving it should repair any inconsistencies.

Admiral Ackbar

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »

I recently started having problems with my DIVX playback and I'm looking for advice.

Now, I had my PC set up perfectly with my 360. I had my XBOX as a Windows Media Extender and I could stream movies from my PC to my xbox whenever I wanted. It would play DVX no problem and in the past few weeks I've been watching DIVX versions of Futuirama and Start Trek so I know DIVX used to play.

My computer started behaving erratically in the last few months. On Friday I reformatted my PC and reinstalled Vista. However, ever since this point, I've struggled with getting it to work with my XBOX.

The first problem I had was getting my xbox to work as a media extender. It was intermittent. It turns out that nthe problem, and the othe rproblems I was having with my PC, was due to Zona Alrm. Ever since SP1, there have been problems with ZA that affect Vista Systems like Windows Update and Windows Media Center. It took me the weekend to track that down as the cause of my problems, and now I just took ZA off my PC, and it's fixed.

However, I have a new problem and it's driving me  nuts.

MY WME is setup for the XBOX. I can stream regular videos but it doesn't recognize the DIVX codec. If I try to play futurama, I just get the Blue Screen of Death on my Xbox stating that the codec is not recognized. I have no idea how reinstalling my WME affected the codecs in the xbox. But they're busted. So I guess they need to be reinstalled.

I tried three times to download the Optional Media Update from Marketplace. No good. So thats when I started searchign the net and found this forum.

I've attempted the following fix.

"Microsoft has bundled this codec with the previous optional codecs, so if you have downloaded it before, it can cause problems. The download is tied to your console as well as your gamertag. Simply download it from another account on the same console, this enables it to be used by any other profile on the same console. If you don't have another profile, just create a new silver account and attempt to play a DivX file while that new account is signed in. You will be prompted to install the update. Once this is done, you no longer need to be logged into LIVE to use the DivX playback."

So I created a new silver account called "Divx Fix Test." Then through that account I tried to play my DVIX files streamed from my PC. Again, no good. I tried downloading the update through Marketplace. again no good. I know that when you first play the file, there's supposed to be a pop-up saying that you need to do the update to have the codecs installed. But I can't get the darn thing to pop up. I'm at my wits end about this. It's just a terrible system.

So I'm looking for advice. For example, instead of streaming, do I have to directly try to read a divx file from a USB or hard drive to get the pop-up? When I originally got divx working a year ago, I did not need to do that. When I first tried to stream a divx file from my pc, I got the pop-up saying that I needed the update. I don't know how using a usb might be different, but I'll try that tonight after work.

Can you tell me a little more about the license removal tool? How does it work if I'm not transferring anything? I don't want to screw up my account and the hundreds of downloads I've made over the past year. Because it's not like I have a new xbox or hard drive.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for further advice. Because I used my xboox to stream a lot of movies and video to my 42" tv. It was a big part of my use. And if I can't do that anymore it'll feel like my xbox is crippled.

Admiral Ackbar

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »

Sucess, I fixed it.

No, I stillc na't get videos to play in the Windows Media center on my Xbox. But that may be a WMC problem. I forgot a step on my network. I had to click my xbox and allow it to do media sharing in my network.

Suddenly, the pc started showing up in the y videos and my pictures,. When i play video from that, divx works. It also works from a USb drive. But I guess divx support isn't in WMC or mine has an issue because it wont work from theer.

I did a coupel crappy videos and I may put 'em on youtube later.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

Yes, divx through MCE is not supported, however the beta of Windows 7, and presumably the final version, supports divx in the media center extender.

triodusiecle

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

Q:How can I add thumbnails to individual avi's, cover art etc.. or screen grabs from the avi itself? All I see on the right hand pane is that faded film strip... and i know i've seen an image there before.......
A: Thumbs are only displayed when the media is being served/streamed by WMP11 or the Zune software. You do not get the thumbnail view if the media is on USB or streamed from a UPnP server like Windows Home Server.

I currently use WMP11/Vista with my Xbox 360 and watching movies through dashboard (not extender). Basically, moves are shared through WMP11. Is there a way to put movie covert art (I know how to do it for music) in WMP11 so then Xbox 360 can show them?

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »

None that I am aware of.

Ozzy1980

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Feb 24 2009, 01:59 AM) *

None that I am aware of.

Is there a setting that will allow you to play from one avi to another ie movie.cd1 to movie.cd2???

G19

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ozzy1980 @ Feb 25 2009, 07:29 PM) View Post

Is there a setting that will allow you to play from one avi to another ie movie.cd1 to movie.cd2???

There is no queueing feature to speak of, at least not for movies. It's a joke.

You could easily join the two avi files using VirtualDubMod though. Load 'movie_part1.avi' into VDub and if it asks to rewrite the header, answer 'No'. Then go to 'File' and 'Append segment' and choose 'movie_part2.avi'. Then go to 'File' and 'Save As'. Choose a name/destination for your joined movie, and then down at the bottom of the box change the 'Video Mode' to 'Direct Stream Copy', then 'Save'. It should only take a minute or two to join the two parts into one seamless avi.

wildp

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »

Not sure what i did because i tested this prior to moving overseas (to a country with no xbox live)...divx would previously play without being online.  I just tested this now from and it says i need to connect to live (which i cant).  Anything i can do remotely?  I strangely notice that my updates like the bikes pack on Burnout Paradise is missing too (related?)

I installed the NXE and made sure to upgrade the divx add on prior to leaving.  What a bite in the a**  sad.gif

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

After the NXE update you may need to do the silver account trick again, even if you were able to play divx offline prior to the NXE.  Simply re-updating the optional media download, doesn't maintain your offline playability.  You will have to find a way to connect to xbox live to repair this.

Geiz

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »

Still no news on the NXE Divx front? Im so hoping one genius mind somewhere will find a workaround...
I had been banned for a long time and totally forgot about NXE and so i updated my console with the update, not knowing that the divx functionality would vanish. And streaming to my xbox pretty much summed up my xbox360 usage lately. MAJOR bummer!

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 03:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Geiz @ May 14 2009, 03:57 PM) View Post

Still no news on the NXE Divx front? Im so hoping one genius mind somewhere will find a workaround...
I had been banned for a long time and totally forgot about NXE and so i updated my console with the update, not knowing that the divx functionality would vanish. And streaming to my xbox pretty much summed up my xbox360 usage lately. MAJOR bummer!

Until you can resign content, this will likely never happen.

Geiz

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »

I guess there still is no workaround for the divx codec or way to revert back to the old dashboard right?

MJAussie360

• Archived User
Divx/xvid Faq
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »

I did away with the hassle of the WMP and extender stuff ages ago. Since I only watch my avi files on my xbox, I run them with the TVersity program. It works everything on the fly and smoothly. And the best part is its free, lol.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5