xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Not Reading Portable Device  (Read 62 times)

Ninjazn

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Not Reading Portable Device
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »

I have a portable 250GB Western Digital hard drive, and I had connected it to the Xbox 360 in the past and it worked fine. Today I wanted to watch Pirates of the Caribbean on my Xbox 360, so I transferred the file from my PC to the portable hard drive, but since the file was 9 gigs, the portable device said it couldn't take it. I looked for a solution and did this: File too large for portable device

After I did what that website told me, I was able to put the 9 GB movie on my portable device. However, now when I connect it to my Xbox 360, the console does not detect the portable hard drive. I have turned it on and off, and tried using both the USB ports on the Xbox 360 console. Still no luck. Anyone know how to fix this?

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »

What you're saying is that you've converted your drive to NTFS...

...which is not supported via the 360!

What you need to do for 4GB or larger files is format as HFS+. Backup everything you have on there to another source and either format as HFS+ on a Mac, or get MacDrive 7. You will need to completely wipe the drive and start again, but HFS+ works fine with the 360. You will need MacDrive 7 installed on any PC wishing to access this drive in the future however.

Ninjazn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »

Ah, I didn't realize that by changing the format of the hard drive, the Xbox 360 wouldn't recognize it. To change it back to the way it was, do I just right click on it and click "format"?

Thanks in advance.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »

Yeah, you can just reformat the drive as FAT32 - it will in the dropdown options.

Remember by doing this, you'll wipe all information from your drive so be sure that you back anything up that you want to keep.

Ninjazn

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »

Fat32 wasn't in any of the options to convert back to. Any ideas?

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »

Ah - XP won't allow you to format an FAT32 drive over 32GB. It automatically sets it to NTFS.

You will need a third-party application like PartitionMagic, which will then allow you to do this.

(I bet you never thought what hassle you could cause by converting a drive, eh? wink.gif )

Ninjazn

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

I got Partition Magic, and that didn't work either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »

Well PartitionMagic will definitely let you format a drive over 32GB as FAT32. You get the main option when you create the partition to choose which file system to use.