xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CES HD DVD Event canceled due to Warner announcement  (Read 417 times)

warmaster_670

• Archived User
CES HD DVD Event canceled due to Warner announcement
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »

its also funny, all these sad little whiney sony bashers, they complain, yet they have no problem with cds, which sony had a part of, and it will be even funnier when BR crushes HDDVD, and if it becomes the standard, you wont have a choice but to buy it or not get any new things that come out on it.

its also pretty funny they hate sony but love microsoft, sony hatings just a trend, just like microsfot hating was a trend before it, people think there cool when there do it.

axess68

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »

IMO, this was an intensely stupid move by the HD-DVD camp. Why cancel a chance to fight back when you're on the ropes. It doesn't make much sense to give up like this. I have both formats (both the 360 HD-DVD drive and the PS3), so I'm not really too affected by this. But, competition ALWAYS benefits the consumer. If Blu-Ray is the ONLY format, will the prices come down, stay where they are, or even increase? Consumers, on the whole, seem to want to spend the least amount possible when it comes to movies. So, DVD sales are still very very strong.

I have a friend who has always been a complete videophile and audiophile since we were kids. He always had the nicest stereos and other electronics. And he surprised me the other day when he said that, at this point, he has no desire to upgrade to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. He is more than happy playing upconverted DVD's on his 1080i DVD player over his Sony Bravia. I was surprised I stepped past him in the technology dept. First time in my life I had stuff better than him. LOL!

I currently have 4 devices that upconvert my regular DVD's (PS3, X360, Xbox XBMC, dedicated 1080i DVD Player) and some upconverted DVD's beat out their Blu-Ray and HD-DVD counterparts---Terminator 2 and The Punisher being the prime examples.  That being said, I don't have many HD-DVD's or Blu-Rays (4 HD-DVD's and 10 Blu-Ray's). The only time I buy the more expensive format is when it is a series that benefits from the Hi-Def treatment (like the Harry Potter series). Otherwise, upconverted DVD's are fine by me.

It's sad that the HD-DVD camp are turning limp like this. I honestly wish both formats would stay and continually lower their prices due to respective competition.

warmaster_670

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »

normally i would agree competition is good, but not when its a format, to many peop,ke get screwed, its better to have a single format, then have all the individual compaies have the fight over that, players would still go down as one wants to outsell the other, the only thing i could see not going like that is movies, where most are a standard price

wobblyfart

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(ric27 @ Jan 6 2008, 01:03 AM) View Post

Whoever has the best games and on line service at the end will win and I believe MS has the edge

Am I the only one who finds the irony of this statement most humorous...give the current state of xbox live dead rolleyes.gif

thor99

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(wobblyfart @ Jan 7 2008, 09:14 AM) View Post

Am I the only one who finds the irony of this statement most humorous...give the current state of xbox live dead rolleyes.gif

I think So, due to the fact that this is an Hi-Def Format thread, not to stray of base with with you but live is anything but dead, the masses can still get online even during the recent downtime.. even IF say 10,000 blink.gif  people could not log on, that number would pale to the 1,000,000+ people that had no trouble logging on. rolleyes.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3]