xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do I Play Divx Files?  (Read 80 times)

startstatic

• Archived User
How Do I Play Divx Files?
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »

Sorry I'm a noob. If you could please answer my question and then criticize me after. I have DIVX files burned to a DVD-R and the files won't play, I don't know what the deal is. Should I just convert them to AVI or how do I solve this? Is there somewhere I can check to see what version of xbox software I have? I need a way to just play the files if its converting them fine.

If its downloading some software to my windows xp and streaming them thats fine also. I have been looking for solutions but can't find jack and I know they are out there! Please help, I would like to just put a disc in and have them play!

This post has been edited by startstatic: Jan 2 2008, 05:48 AM

startstatic

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »

WOW 28 views and not even one single response... THANKS "COMMUNITY"

jamsplodge

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »

Well do you want people to come on and say... "sorry, don't know"? These Divx files you have.  Are they files with the extension .divx?  If so just rename them to .avi and the 360 should recognise a divx file and download the codec (if you have a connection to live) I figure you probably need a hard drive too.  360 will NOT recognise files with the .divx extension.  You shouldn't need to do any actual conversions other than renaming, which means that unfortunately your disc is wasted.  I would try streaming using WMP11 before writing the files to discs.

This post has been edited by jamsplodge: Jan 2 2008, 04:42 PM

startstatic

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »

thank you so much. sorry about what was said above, i was having a bad day. i appreciate your response! i'll try it tonight.

startstatic

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »

Did not work. I changed it from .divx to .avi, it asked if i would like to to do this as it may become unusable and i clicked ok. i then burned it to a dvd-r and put it into the xbox and it comes up as "mixed media disc" still and says press A to select but doesn't allow me to do so. This is the same outcome of all my other methods of trying to rig this clunky white box...

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »

A little more info on your part would make receiving answers a bit easier.  A little less attitude goes a long way as well.
1. Have you installed the December dash update?
2. Have you downloaded the optional media support codec?
3. Are you trying to launch the disc from the main xboxlive blade or have you went to the media blade and then down to videos, selecting the file source as current disc?
4. Are the DivX files you are trying to play encoded with DivX 5.0 or higher?

Here are some limitations on DivX/XviD playback:
·         File Extensions: .avi, .divx
·         Containers: AVI
·         Video Profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2, Simple & Advanced Simple Profile
·         Video Bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30fps.
·         Audio Profiles: Dolby® Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel, MP3
·         Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions.

-Since the optional media support is actually for Mpeg-4 part 2 Simple and Advanced Simple Profile, the DivX file must be encoded with version 5.0 or higher as earlier versions were not based on this encoding profile.
A simple freeware application, that you can use to check your video files, is called "GSpot"

This post has been edited by StrictPuppet: Jan 4 2008, 04:26 AM

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(startstatic @ Jan 4 2008, 02:49 AM) *

Did not work. I changed it from .divx to .avi, it asked if i would like to to do this as it may become unusable and i clicked ok. i then burned it to a dvd-r and put it into the xbox and it comes up as "mixed media disc" still and says press A to select but doesn't allow me to do so. This is the same outcome of all my other methods of trying to rig this clunky white box...

You're almost there.

The media won't show under the DVD tray - you need to go into Videos on the media blade and select your disc from there.

BTW, the reason for the lack of responses was purely down to no information from yourself. Had you mentioned above (i.e Mixed Media Disc) in the initial post, you would have gotten a lot more replies. Just writing 'the files won't play' doesn't give us a lot to go on.

*EDIT: sorry StrictPuppet, didn't mean to echo what you'd already written!!

This post has been edited by Martinchris23: Jan 4 2008, 07:37 PM

ngarutoa

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

heya-have u tried the same avi's on a flash drive to make sure they work on the x360 also?

umm, i read on a similar post about someone recommending Nero Burning Rom, & burning the files to dvd etc with the UDF selection in Nero-Please post results, pass or fail if it works- Cheers

*edit* -i never renamed any of my divx to avi etc, & had to create a 2nd Profile (silver) to get the codec to stick to my x360 to allow offline xvid playback too.

This post has been edited by ngarutoa: Jan 4 2008, 09:59 PM

startstatic

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »

thanks for all who commented, sorry about the lack of details. i'll keep trying and look into everything! yall guys are great

startstatic

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

SUCCESS.

I put the disc in, it comes up "mixed media disc".
Go to VIDEOS > CURRENT DISC and it tells me that I need to download update which I do.
Now it plays all my videos!

No renaming or anything was done. I have about 32 DVD-R's with .divx extensions on them burned with Nero and it reads every single file except for really old movies which I wouldn't expect it to read. Why are some people having to rename their files to .AVI?

If the file was renamed to .AVI it wouldn't make any difference if it was not encoded with DIVX 5.0 or later correct?

startstatic

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »

FAILURE lmao

It did let me play .divx a first time and perfectly.

Unfortunately when tested out my DVDs again the files now show a "no smoking sign" or "non" sign next to them and will not play the .divx files anymore.

I guess I will either

A. Buy a DIVX DVD PLAYER
B. Transfer all DIVX files from DVDs to my harddrive and rename them .AVI and stream them from the computer.

If I went ahead with B could anyone provide me with a link on how to do this?

If you could provide any input or better options then A and B please share.