xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Fall Update07: Still a Crummy DVD Player  (Read 625 times)

Devedander

• Archived User
Fall Update07: Still a Crummy DVD Player
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Dec 6 2007, 03:25 AM) *

Why on earth would you ever need to de-interlace a progressive (non-interlaced) signal? Am I missing something?

I think you missed the part where there was an i after the 1080 denoting it's interlaced information...

QUOTE(Exobex @ Dec 6 2007, 04:07 AM) *

I'd expect the PS3 to offer better DVD playback... look at the price of the f***ing thing!!!

Ummmm.. the cheap PS3 is right on par with the expensive xbox and regardless if a $10 DVD player can do it well, $300 vs $500 is not a legit excuse for being a poor performer.  There is no way that a triple core processor based system with an advanced graphics card should not be capable of doing good standard DVD playback.  

tha754boy

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

I'm still using a standard definition TV so I could care less about all the HD bullshit you guys are whining over. In my opinion, it does a damned good job as a dvd player  blink.gif

Akrat

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

Forget HD DVD and DVD's... Have you tried playing CD's in it?  Simply AMAZING!!!!

SEHF

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »

I think the playback is fine on DVDs, but I'm not really as obsessed as some people.  I haven't used the HD-DVD addon, yet.  Hopefully, MS will improve its DVD and HD-DVD playback so people who care can't complain as much.

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »

Hahaha. This guy is an idiot.

My Elite 360 running HDMI to a 1080p tv with a 1080p HD-DVD provides the same superb picture that any other HD-DVD player with HDMI and the same 1080p HD-DVD will.

I'd love him to come over and watch my 56" 1080p with any of my 50+ HD-DVD titles and try to find *anything* I am missing in terms of quality. Because I'm not missing anything: HD-DVD's still look absolutely phenomenal, and loads better than any HDTV signal I receive via antenna or through satellite.

Maybe the 360's DVD player is lacking, but for him to say the HD-DVD player provides sub-par playback quality is completely false. He didn't outright say this but in saying that the 360's HD-DVD player scored a "0 out of 100" in his 'test' insinuates that the 360's HD-DVD playback is pitiful. When, in fact, it's no different than any other HD-DVD (or even Blu-ray for that matter) players' quality.

And I *am* one of those A/V nerds/geeks and enthusiasts.

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »

guess i should be glad that my 360 will never see a DVD...

edit - i just read BasicAir's post and i believe everything he has said for years, so the HD DVD 360 add-on has to be good - he's got strict standards for his entertainment...

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »

In my opinion, if you have to run a bunch of test apps just to tell that there is a difference then it isn't even worth worrying about.    

The 360 is a game console first and foremost, DVD playback is just a side benefit.  Very few people buy an Xbox as a sole replacement for a stand-alone DVD player.  Microsoft shouldn't even waste their time worrying about the opinion of that guy since the things he wants very few people would ever appreciate.

PerfectGun

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(fiya @ Dec 5 2007, 05:36 PM) View Post

MS is like the mother of 13 million crybabies; she just can't feed all of them at once! unfortunately, these babies have internet access...

Best quote of the day right there!!  

But still MS should address it in the next update, the competition is scoring very high in DVD and HD playback.

xboxSlayer

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »

add another one to:

I bought the xbox360 to play games. I have other equipment to play movies.

geniusjc

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »

I'm not inclined to believe anything the guy is printing in his articles.  He didn't even know how to turn off notifications during movies only.  

Being the nice guy I am though, I took the time to look up the step by step instructions on it at xbox.com for him and emailed them to him!

biggrin.gif

Then I kindly asked him not to include any incorrect information about the Xbox 360 in his articles.

faithlesssoul

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »

I bought it for games me to  tongue.gif fuck it being a dvd play or even an hd dvd player i bought for the games and thats it.   pop.gif

chinchillanet.co.uk

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 02:27:00 AM »

id just like to add something here

the guy who wrote all that inane pointless bull that we have all risen to is a complete and utter tool.

Ok, it may not be the most perfect Hd-DVD addon/player available, but tbh who is actually gonna notice?

unless you have a screen the size of a house, and 20/20 vision you really arent going to notice any differences in performance from a 360 HD-DVD addon or a PS3 playing a Blu-Ray disc.

The guy up there ^ somewhere was right when he said that a player outputting 1080p over HDMI to a HD Ready HDMI input screen is going to be exactly that. 1080p!

i mean come on, who the fuck cares? Ive spent far too much time in my life trying to keep up with home cinema, so much so its cost me over £40k to date! ive only just got myself a 1080p samsung lcd, and im still super amazed by everything i throw at it.

HD is HD and 1080p is 1080p. Even if you were to use low quality HDMI cables the picture will still be 1080p!

ze_olc

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2007, 05:11:00 AM »

this review is flawed and pointless anyway; this is the same guy that last time critized so the x360 dvd player while he didnt even know that vga cbale could give an upconverted picture. well, at least, he did get some vga cable this time.
personally i occasionnally use my x360 to watch movies on my ae-900 projector (either dvds or dvds ripped to h.264 with handbrake); i must say they look great actually. sure, a good standalone player can beat that but the fact is playing dvd is just a plus and the x360 does that very well to my eyes.

Nive

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »

IMHO:

A few weeks ago my old premium-console died, so I bought an Arcade. It's connected to a Thoshiba 37" WL58 via HDMI running on 1080i.

I watched "Elizabeth" and the quality was simply amazing.
Even finest patterns and ornamets were shown clearly without any problems. The colors were stunning and beautiful.

Ice Age II also rocked my butt. The fur of the animals looked very plastic. *thumbs up*

So I'm asking myself if it's just easy to satisfy me, or the playback with an HDMI-Cable is way superior than VGA or Component...?  blink.gif

Sorry for my cheesy english... i'm from austria and it looks like my (poor) school-english-skills gone even worse in the past years...

ze_olc

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »

Maybe the 360's DVD player is lacking, but for him to say the HD-DVD player provides sub-par playback quality is completely false. He didn't outright say this but in saying that the 360's HD-DVD player scored a "0 out of 100" in his 'test' insinuates that the 360's HD-DVD playback is pitiful. When, in fact, it's no different than any other HD-DVD (or even Blu-ray for that matter) players' quality.

i agree and i think the guy that made this review is biased; hd-dvd playback on the x30 has been tested by many video enthousiasts and many websites, he is the only one to claim such a stupid thing. i guess he probably never actually test video gear b4.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5