xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kmart Goes HD DVD Exclusive *Updated*  (Read 247 times)

bill16504

• Archived User
Kmart Goes HD DVD Exclusive *Updated*
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(joemm210 @ Nov 1 2007, 12:36 AM) *

The hd-dvd player is only 1080I or 720p and doesnt support 1080P but I know I just bought my hdtv 2 years ago and it doesnt support 1080p so 1080I should be great for most people.

I agree. I don't think the general consumer knows the difference between 1080 or 720. Look through your Sunday flyers... there are a boat load of 720p hd tv's being sold. They just see that "HDTV" and cheap price and go for it.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(joemm210 @ Oct 31 2007, 07:36 PM) *

this isnt very big news but I still think hd-dvd is going to win just because they are below the 200 dollar price point.

There are some black friday ads out already and the hd-dvd player is on sale for 169.99 at sears, I dont think sony is going to be able to hit that price for a while.

whoa.. resizing image.

(IMG:http://memberuploads.xbox-scene.com/uploads/2007_10_31/23_16_07_walmartsale.gif)

maybe a HD-DVD player for $100 this tuesday? who knows... definately at or below that 170 mark i think, maybe worth getting considering the 5 free.

This post has been edited by ILLusions0fGrander: Nov 1 2007, 04:27 AM

Lordscr

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(joemm210 @ Oct 31 2007, 11:36 PM) View Post

this isnt very big news but I still think hd-dvd is going to win just because they are below the 200 dollar price point.

There are some black friday ads out already and the hd-dvd player is on sale for 169.99 at sears, I dont think sony is going to be able to hit that price for a while.

The hd-dvd player is only 1080I or 720p and doesnt support 1080P but I know I just bought my hdtv 2 years ago and it doesnt support 1080p so 1080I should be great for most people.

just wanted to mention that HD DVD does support 1080p, some of the cheaper ones don't. My thought's, I can't tell the difference between 1080i or p, and I have an eye for detail.

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 05:35:00 AM »

sd dvd didnt reach critical mass untill it went below the £200 a player mark, then all hell broke loose, so from a standard retail point of view its good news, however, my concern is which way warners are going to go.
if the stay hd dvd then its deep joy all round, but if they go blu,......... blink.gif

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 05:48:00 AM »

http://holiday.ri-WalMart.com/?section=sec...le117144-lLink1

HD-A2 for 99 bucks, check the link!

sorry mods, i posted a new topic in the hd/lcd/video forum, hope you understand!

This post has been edited by hamwbone: Nov 1 2007, 12:49 PM

AcidLacedPenguiN

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »

I know its just kmart, but news like this can easily tip the scales in the format warz. I wasn't conscious of the market during the beta/VHS wars, but didn't VHS win despite the beta's superior specs because it was the first one to get to a "joe blow" affordable price?

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(AcidLacedPenguiN @ Nov 1 2007, 12:27 PM) View Post

I know its just kmart, but news like this can easily tip the scales in the format warz. I wasn't conscious of the market during the beta/VHS wars, but didn't VHS win despite the beta's superior specs because it was the first one to get to a "joe blow" affordable price?

VHS succeeded in the UK because the major equipment rental firms at the time RR, DER MultiBroadcast, who were all owned by Thorn only rented out VHS machines. The result was more people rented movies on VHS than Beta, so the selection of movies available were heavily weighted to VHS in the rental shops. It became a natural progression.
The masses in those days rented because the price of VCRs was so dear compared with today's prices. I worked for DER all through the period from introduction to the demise of Beta and saw it happening first hand.
The same factors will not play a role in this format war, as renting is a very small factor in hardware terms now. Price point for sales could well be a deciding factor, but it will not be the only one.

KaRiL

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »

From Kmart in an interview with Highdefdigest.com
There have been numerous statements in the media today, attributed to Toshiba, indicating exclusive support for the HD DVD format in Kmart stores. These statements are false. Kmart intends to support both the HD DVD and Blu-ray platforms, and has no plans to support either platform exclusively.

Link
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)

Poopchute

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(eeboarder @ Oct 31 2007, 03:24 PM) View Post

I guess Blu-Ray will just has to worry about Pamida next......
Remember that fine store? It's still out there.

Yeah I have a Pamida in my town.  Clintonville WI...Its where I bought Halo3.  
Yes I BOUGHT Halo3...
Pages: 1 [2]