xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vista Movie Maker  (Read 71 times)

Storm28

• Archived User
Vista Movie Maker
« on: February 03, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »

I have Vista Home Premium and installed the k-lite codec pack. I downloaded a sample HD mkv and dropped into Movie Maker. I used the HD for Xbox 360 profile and published. I was able to stream it to my 360 with no problem.

This was pretty easy but I haven't been able to find any discussion of it. Is there any significant degredation that I need to be concerned with? I didn't notice any, but right now I'm pretty far away from 720p TV, and don't want to disappointed if I move to another setup.

Thanks.

MaxP

• Archived User
Vista Movie Maker
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »

Interesting indeed....
will have a look at this as well.

when you say stream do you mean transcode (as in re-encode and stream at the same time) or do you mean you published (re-encoded) the file and then played over your lan as per any normal WMV ?

Storm28

• Archived User
Vista Movie Maker
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

I published and then streamed the finished file. I don't think you can do it on the fly with Movie Maker. I haven't tried though since I wasn't planning on watching anything that quickly.

impimpin206

• Archived User
Vista Movie Maker
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »

Can't control output size. Can't make any quality adjustments. Ick.

pue5tube

• Archived User
Vista Movie Maker
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Storm28 @ Oct 15 2007, 05:25 PM) View Post

I have Vista Home Premium and installed the k-lite codec pack. I downloaded a sample HD mkv and dropped into Movie Maker. I used the HD for Xbox 360 profile and published. I was able to stream it to my 360 with no problem.

This was pretty easy but I haven't been able to find any discussion of it. Is there any significant degredation that I need to be concerned with? I didn't notice any, but right now I'm pretty far away from 720p TV, and don't want to disappointed if I move to another setup.

Thanks.

i have been using movie maker on vista a lot lately to convert mkv files to wmv-hd and the included profile works great!  i just convert the audio with nicwmenc from the mkv to wma pro 10.  then i sync the video from movie maker with the 5.1 audio track using window media stream editor.  ta da!  720p xbox 360 wmv-hd file that looks and sounds great!  movie maker works very fast as well (utilizes 2 cores efficiently?).  anyway, my only dilemma is i need to convert mkv files that are 1280x544 sometimes and movie maker doesn't produce the results i want.  i tried recreating the included xbox 360 profile but it's not quite right.  since there are no 360 profiles available to look at, i'm just using a lot of trial and error to recreate it for the 1280x544 aspect ratio.  the 360 profile must be wrapped in the executable for movie maker.  any ideas on how to obtain the movie maker 360 profile settings??  and i need more than just the video and audio bitrates wink.gif  thx!