xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tutorial: How To Convert Dts Track To Ac3  (Read 318 times)

noremacyug

• Archived User
Tutorial: How To Convert Dts Track To Ac3
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »

some of you may run into the problem of having a DTS track that you need converted to AC3 when converting your MKV files to WMV.  some one click solutions were suggested in the MKV to WMV thread, i haven't tried any of them.  however, i did see it mentioned in a post that none of them worked.  so, i'll put up this method (which does work) and then you can use whichever method you choose.

first and fore most, i take no credit for pioneering this.  i've merely regurgitated, in a somewhat condensed form, what i read here .  also, all the programs used are freeware and i will give the links to where you can obtain them for yourself or you can simply download the .rar file i uploaded containing all that you will need to do this simple procedure.  (if the redistribution of the files in the .rar is going against a rule somehow, then delete the link and i apologize)

lets get started :-)

apps you will need:
MKVtoolnix & MKVextract  (you should already have this if you are following impimpin206's tutorial.)
BeSweet
Tranzcode

alternately, here is the .rar file containing MKVtoolnix & MKVextract, BeSweet, and Tranzcode

Step 1.
download programs or extract them from the .rar file........ duh.  :-P

Step 2.
install mkvtoolnix via the MKVtoolnix Setup file.  (if you already have MKVextract installed, skip to Step 5)

Step 3.
once setup is complete take the files located in MKVextract and place them in the MKVtoolnix folder. (default directory is C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix )
IPB Image

Step 4.
either create a shortcut for MKVextractGUI, or prepare to go back there each time you wish to start MKVextract.  now open MKVextract.
IPB Image

Step 5.
once MKVextract is running point it to the MKV file which contains the DTS track you wish to convert.  set the output location to wherever you want the extracted file to be located, put a check in the box next to the listed DTS track. then hit the extract button.  (if you already have the raw DTS track then skip this step)
IPB Image

Step 6
now, open up Tranzcode by opening the Tranzcode folder and click on TranzGUI.  simply select the DTS track you just extracted as the input in Tranzcode.  now. for the output. create a folder (because tranzcode will bust the DTS track into 6 WAV files) and then select that folder for the output.  then select "6 Mono WAV", after that you can click run.
IPB Image

Step 7
once Tranzcode finishes, open the BeSweet folder and open the BeLight app.  once open, click on "File" and then click "Create Mux File."  next, click on the box with "FL" on it.  navigate to the folder you created containing the 6 WAV files and click on the WAV file with "FL" at the end.  then proceed to do that for the "C" (Center Channel), "FR" (Front Right Channel), "LFE" (Low Frequency Effects), ect.  when you have that done make sure to set "Select the Output File" to AC3 and then check the box for "Load automatically this .mux file for input."  set a save directory of your choice and  then you can click OK.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Step 8
after you click ok you will automatically be taken back to BeLight and it will have automatically loaded the created .mux file.  now all you have to do is set a few options.  go to "Presets" (located at the top) and then select AC3->5.1-448kbps.  you will see that the AC3 tab below is selected and the other settings reflect the preset you selected.  you can leave the bitrate alone or decrease/increase as you wish.  i always uncheck the "Dynamic Compression" box, it's your call.  that should do it, click the "Start Processing" button and then it will create your AC3 file.  (i don't see any options for output location so i assume it places the file wherever you saved the .mux file during Step 7. i always just work from my desktop so i can easily delete everything after i'm done.)
IPB Image

i hope that helps a few peeps that need the DTS->AC3 conversion.

noremacyug

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »

if this helps anyone, please give it a bump so that it can continue to do so rather than fall to the wayside.

007craft

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »

Seems to have worked well.  However a few things

The .rar file you posted seems to contain stuff not in the original site programs.  Like when I downloaded tranzcode from their site it was only the .exe and a list of commands (no gui) and when I downloaded besweet from the site it did not come with belight.   So I just used the .rar you posted

Also, When selecting bit-rate, is 448 enough?  The file I have is DTS 1536 kbit/s.  How much quality is lost in the audio using only 448kbps?  The max BeLight seems to allow is only 640?

This post has been edited by 007craft: Oct 25 2007, 07:22 PM

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(007craft @ Oct 25 2007, 11:43 AM) View Post

Seems to have worked well.  However a few things

The .rar file you posted seems to contain stuff not in the original site programs.  Like when I downloaded tranzcode from their site it was only the .exe and a list of commands (no gui) and when I downloaded besweet from the site it did not come with belight.   So I just used the .rar you posted

Also, When selecting bit-rate, is 448 enough?  The file I have is DTS 1536 kbit/s.  How much quality is lost in the audio using only 448kbps?  The max BeLight seems to allow is only 640?

448 kbps should be enough, though I think most scene releasers use 640 kbps. I've never seen higher than 640 kbps AC3

noremacyug

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »

yeah, tranzcode and besweet don't come originally as i have packaged them in the rar file, that was my main reason for packaging them like that.  i provided the links to the programs in case people wanted to check for updated versions, as well as to provide a link in the event that my redistributing the programs was against a rule that i was unaware of.

if someone wanted to, they could google and find all the gui's and whatnot i've added into the rar file.  but to save work and to keep people from getting confused, as i did when i was originally figuring out how to do this, i just packaged exactly what i had.  that way you all see what i see and can walk right through the tut. perhaps i should have mentioned to just download the rar file from the get go.

thetman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »

I used this guide to convert Fear and Loathing DTS to AC3, when I loaded it into TMPGEnc it came out 30 mins longer than the video.  I recoded anyways and the audio was in sync, anyone know why that was?

noremacyug

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(thetman @ Oct 26 2007, 02:00 AM) View Post

I used this guide to convert Fear and Loathing DTS to AC3, when I loaded it into TMPGEnc it came out 30 mins longer than the video.  I recoded anyways and the audio was in sync, anyone know why that was?

the times i've used it the audio track generally comes out to be a few seconds longer/shorter, nothing no where near 30 mins.  not sure what caused that, but glad it was in sync and worked.

zachisevil

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »

I need to convert an AAC track to AC3, how to I do that?

noremacyug

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(zachisevil @ Oct 27 2007, 11:20 PM) View Post

I need to convert an AAC track to AC3, how to I do that?

after a quick google search i found that vlc player will apparently trascode aac to ac3.  dowload it and give it a go.  use the file->wizard function to get started.

The_one_111

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

Hey,

THanks for the Guide.  Tranzcode does not want to work on my machine (vista).  Is there any other piece of software you could suggest.
Thanks

noremacyug

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(The_one_111 @ Oct 30 2007, 05:34 AM) View Post

Hey,

THanks for the Guide.  Tranzcode does not want to work on my machine (vista).  Is there any other piece of software you could suggest.
Thanks

have you obtained the most recent version of tranzcode?  the one i have packaged is older.  give the newest one a go and let me know.

The_one_111

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »

still no luck

Thanks though

noremacyug

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(The_one_111 @ Nov 1 2007, 01:41 PM) View Post

still no luck

Thanks though

may try this, i found this in another thread here at xbscene.

QUOTE(mergedown @ Nov 25 2006, 10:46 AM) View Post

Actually Transcode does work under Vista. You have to update your .Net Framework to SP1 and then install Transcode to the your Users/MCX1 directory.

Took me a few tries, but it works for me now.

evans05

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »

i did my first test on this and it just came out as a notepad file? thats not right is it, when i then click the file it said error, im transcoding one now but its still on 00.00%. any ideas

no dnt push the emergency panic button. i figured it out now, transcoding like a dream. thanks alot buddy

This post has been edited by evans05: Dec 15 2007, 12:42 AM

noremacyug

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(evans05 @ Dec 14 2007, 06:11 PM) View Post

i did my first test on this and it just came out as a notepad file? thats not right is it, when i then click the file it said error, im transcoding one now but its still on 00.00%. any ideas
no dnt push the emergency panic button. i figured it out now, transcoding like a dream. thanks alot buddy

glad it worked out for ya.  enjoy
Pages: [1] 2