xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DreamWorks Animation, Paramount choose HD DVD  (Read 300 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
DreamWorks Animation, Paramount choose HD DVD
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | August 20 15:15 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From reuters.com:

Viacom Inc's Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc said on Monday they will release their DVD titles exclusively on HD DVD ahead of what they say could be the biggest holiday season ever for DVDs.

Paramount had sold titles in both the new high-definition formats -- HD DVD and Blu-Ray -- but settled exclusively on HD DVD after deciding that it offered better quality, lower-priced players and lower manufacturing costs, Kelley Avery, president of Paramount Home Entertainment, told Reuters.
"This has been the biggest summer on record for movies, it will be the biggest fourth quarter for popular movies for consumers," Avery said. "At the same time, we have HD DVD players that are truly affordable."

Paramount's first releases under the exclusive HD DVD program include "Blades of Glory" on August 28, and the summer blockbusters "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third", due for release later this fall.

The exclusive agreement does not include movies directed by Steven Spielberg for DreamWorks SKG, a Paramount unit. It does include all other movies distributed by Paramount, DreamWorks, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films.

Full Story: reuters.com

Achtung

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »

Well this war just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »

I wonder how much the HD-DVD camp contributed to Paramount to help 'persuade' them.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

As I've stated before, all I care about is a quick end to this two formats crap - and unfortunately this probably won't help that....

Maybe I should just get a HD-DVD add-on once I have a DX10 card so I can have both formats.  I have a copy of high-def Serenity here that I really would like to watch again...

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Aug 20 2007, 08:38 PM

joey27

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »

Time for me to buy the hd-dvd player for my x360. A buddy of mine just sent me this email. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The connector on the back of this HD DVD-ROM is a common Mini-ATAPI connector used for UltraATA laptop hard drives. A converter would literally cost you $10 with shipping. Toshiba uses the same connector on all of their UltraATA laptop drives so that is undoubtedly why Microsoft went with this connector since they were already in mass production, and could be included with no extra cost, or production time since it would come prepared for casing directly from Toshiba.

Makes perfect sense since even the Toshiba drivers for this drive work perfectly for using this on my PC. I wonder if it works in Vista x64 editions

Can someone please tell me if I can use the xbox360 hd-dvd with vista 64

This post has been edited by joey27: Aug 20 2007, 08:50 PM

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(joey27 @ Aug 20 2007, 12:41 PM) View Post

Can someone please tell me if I can use the xbox360 hd-dvd with vista 64

You should be able to, IF you have an HDCP compliant video card.  (at least that's what I've heard...)

handles25

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Aug 20 2007, 08:32 PM) View Post

I wonder how much the HD-DVD camp contributed to Paramount to help 'persuade' them.... laugh.gif

"MONDAY AM UPDATE: Here's the official Hollywood announcement today. Note how there's no mention of the money Paramount (I'm told $50 million) and DreamWorks Animation (I'm told $100 million) is receiving for "promotional consideration" from the HD DVD side to continue with what is widely recognized as the losing high-def format."

From

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

This is an interesting development.  The HD-DVD camp just paid out the ass to get those studios to side with them.  Transformers and Shreck the third were Paramount/Dreamworks flicks that did good numbers at the box office.

pieceish

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(handles25 @ Aug 20 2007, 08:50 PM) View Post

"MONDAY AM UPDATE: Here's the official Hollywood announcement today. Note how there's no mention of the money Paramount (I'm told $50 million) and DreamWorks Animation (I'm told $100 million) is receiving for "promotional consideration" from the HD DVD side to continue with what is widely recognized as the losing high-def format."

From

This is an interesting development.  The HD-DVD camp just paid out the ass to get those studios to side with them.

Obvious bullshit. HD-DVD didn't pay jack. It is just so sad that the blu-gay fanboys cannot believe it and are now crying fowl.

elitegamer360

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

If HD-DVD wins at the end that will be good for me and it will be a big blow to sony and its useless Blu-ray PS3's but the problem that its hard to foresee such future.

handles25

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(pieceish @ Aug 20 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Obvious bullshit. HD-DVD didn't pay jack. It is just so sad that the blu-gay fanboys cannot believe it and are now crying fowl.

So Paramount and Dreamworks just sided with a dying format for shits and giggles?  I highly doubt that it is bullshit (perhaps the exact figures).  Those two studios would not do that unless they were bribed to.  Perhaps you should know that I am no Blu-ray or HD-DVD fanboy (I refuse support either format.  Both camps are shitting all over the consumer as far as I see it.) nor is the author of that blog.  For the most part the author of that blog knows whats happening in Hollywood before it does.

Its ironic how you use "Blu-gay" in a post and then call people fanboys.

Why do you only have one post BTW?

This post has been edited by handles25: Aug 20 2007, 09:14 PM

dezza9995

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Aug 20 2007, 08:44 PM) View Post

You should be able to, IF you have an HDCP compliant video card.  (at least that's what I've heard...)

Worked fine for me m8. I only have analogue connection on my LCD monitor so the HDCP didnt make any difference to me though.

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(handles25 @ Aug 20 2007, 12:50 PM) View Post

From

This is an interesting development.  The HD-DVD camp just paid out the ass to get those studios to side with them.  Transformers and Shreck the third were Paramount/Dreamworks flicks that did good numbers at the box office.

how does the saying do? "just because it is on the internets..." i am sure you are smart enough to figure it out though.

the words "promotional consideration" are not found anywhere in the quoted press release! in other words, this blogger is clearly quoting his own imagination, or quite probably some other ps3/blueray fan.

instead of reading blogs posted by people who may or may not know anything, perhaps you should read the interviews and the press release yourself. it appears to me that these studios made a business choice based on cost of production and cost of ownership for the consumer. both reasons make sense so what of it?

handles25

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

I don't care what anyone says.  This deal involved big bucks from the HD-DVD camp.  To think otherwise is ignorant.

Next time I won't quote any other source and just post it as my opinion.  Of course the studios are not telling how much they were bribed.  I always thought it was "Money makes the world go around" not "Just because we feel like supporting a perceived dying format makes the world go around".

QUOTE(STICKY_BUD @ Aug 20 2007, 09:14 PM) View Post

instead of reading blogs posted by people who may or may not know anything, perhaps you should read the interviews and the press release yourself. it appears to me that these studios made a business choice based on cost of production and cost of ownership for the consumer. both reasons make sense so what of it?

Well then thats the worst business decision (if no money was involved) Ive ever seen.

TexT

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(handles25 @ Aug 20 2007, 09:01 PM) View Post

So Paramount and Dreamworks just sided with a dying format for shits and giggles?  I highly doubt that it is bullshit (perhaps the exact figures).  Those two studios would not do that unless they were bribed to.  Perhaps you should know that I am no Blu-ray or HD-DVD fanboy (I refuse support either format.  Both camps are shitting all over the consumer as far as I see it.) nor is the author of that blog.  For the most part the author of that blog knows whats happening in Hollywood before it does.

Its ironic how you use "Blu-gay" in a post and then call people fanboys.
Why do you only have one post BTW?

What about Sony buying out Blockbuster?.. people didn't seem to be too concern about that. But when MS does it its bad.

handles25

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(TexT @ Aug 20 2007, 09:23 PM) View Post

What about Sony buying out Blockbuster?.. people didn't seem to be too concern about that. But when MS does it its bad.

I'm not saying its bad or good.  I'm saying money and lots of it was involved, which makes things interesting, just about the time it looked like Blu-ray was pulling away.  I didnt put my first post in this thread to start an attack.  I just thought some people might find what others are saying interesting.  I guess its just fun to argue on the internet with strangers(or protect your personal interests).  I don't feel that way anymore so have fun with this thread guys.

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(handles25 @ Aug 20 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post

I don't care what anyone says.  This deal involved big bucks from the HD-DVD camp.  To think otherwise is ignorant.

Next time I won't quote any other source and just post it as my opinion.  Of course the studios are not telling how much they were bribed.  I always thought it was "Money makes the world go around" not "Just because we feel like supporting a perceived dying format makes the world go around".
Well then thats the worst business decision (if no money was involved) Ive ever seen.

you do not follow much business news then.

i am not here to argue, i was simply interested in the news of the post. see, i am one of the members who reads others posts here and i saw your quote, which is clearly gossip so i chose to comment on it.

oh and even if it is your own opinion, it is an ill-informed one. sure, it could be true, but you have no first hand knowledge of any promotional consideration either.

QUOTE(TexT @ Aug 20 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post

QUOTE(handles25 @ Aug 20 2007, 01:25 PM) View Post

I'm not saying its bad or good.  I'm saying money and lots of it was involved, which makes things interesting, just about the time it looked like Blu-ray was pulling away.  I didnt put my first post in this thread to start an attack.  I just thought some people might find what others are saying interesting.  I guess its just fun to argue on the internet with strangers(or protect your personal interests).  I don't feel that way anymore so have fun with this thread guys.

haha! i am FOR competition. i could care less which format wins because i can afford both players, but i want cheaper dvd prices sooner than later so i can start replacing my library with whichever has the best features(usually hd-dvd).

Pages: [1] 2 3