xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Different Possibilities In Xbmc For Xbox And Xbox 360?  (Read 124 times)

Pedroshin

• Archived User
Different Possibilities In Xbmc For Xbox And Xbox 360?
« on: August 01, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

Hey, I currently own a soft-modded Xbox with Xbox Media Center connected by connecting to my local network through the ethernet cable, which I use to:
- view videos and movies stored in my PC
- transfer some files between the PC and Xbox by using FlashFXP, such as 3rd party programs for the Xbox and video codecs.

I'm planning on getting an 360, the Elite version. I know it has its own MS's Media Center. My questions are if I can do all what I currently do with Xbox and Xbox Media Center. If I can I would then be sure I could sell it to a games store (after uninstalling all softmods of course).

I've read that you need Datel XSATA if you wish to transfer files and explore the 360's hardrive. But I can do that in Xbox by simply connecting the cable, so is this some kind of MS's restriction on the 360 Media Center?

Thanks for your help!

bknight2k

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »

As a happy owner of XBox 360 i can say media support is very poor compared to xbox and XBMC.

I sill use my Xbox to play media for that reason.

Hoping that XBMC can be ported to 360 soor

Pedroshin

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

Hmm I see. But in order to ever be able to use XBMC in 360, if it does become compatible, won't we have to mod the 360 or can you get it somehow installed on it without having to do so? I'm not planning on modding my 360, since I'll be playing on Live.

nofear04

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pedroshin @ Aug 2 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post

Hmm I see. But in order to ever be able to use XBMC in 360, if it does become compatible, won't we have to mod the 360 or can you get it somehow installed on it without having to do so? I'm not planning on modding my 360, since I'll be playing on Live.

in your case, i would suggest using Tversity to stream your videos and stuff over.

check it out www.tversity.com

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »

In my opinion, using the 360 to watch low-def files is pointless when you have a modified Xbox (original). For low def files, Xbox Media Center can natively stream divx/xvid natively. The 360 cannot do this- you have to either re-encode your files or transcode them on the fly (which is sometimes problematic).

With that said, the original Xbox / XBMC cannot decode high definition files. The file types are supported, yes, but the processor is far too slow to decode the files.

The Xbox 360 is powerful enough to decode high definition video- but filetype support is shaky. You need to encode your files to WMV-HD, H264, or MPEG2 (I believe).

I prefer WMV-HD, as outlined in my tutorial below (signature). A friend of mine encodes on his Mac to H264, but I think my method gives slightly better quality. We're going to do some controlled testing on this soon to find out which of the 3 methods is the best, based on output quality:size ratio and ease of encoding.

Bottom line?

Low def files play natively, with no hassle on the XBMC. For high def, you need to do some converting and use the 360. This doesn't require modding your 360 though.

Pedroshin

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(nofear04 @ Aug 8 2007, 04:21 PM) View Post

in your case, i would suggest using Tversity to stream your videos and stuff over.

check it out www.tversity.com

QUOTE(impimpin206 @ Aug 8 2007, 06:27 PM) View Post

In my opinion, using the 360 to watch low-def files is pointless when you have a modified Xbox (original). For low def files, Xbox Media Center can natively stream divx/xvid natively. The 360 cannot do this- you have to either re-encode your files or transcode them on the fly (which is sometimes problematic).

With that said, the original Xbox / XBMC cannot decode high definition files. The file types are supported, yes, but the processor is far too slow to decode the files.

The Xbox 360 is powerful enough to decode high definition video- but filetype support is shaky. You need to encode your files to WMV-HD, H264, or MPEG2 (I believe).

I prefer WMV-HD, as outlined in my tutorial below (signature). A friend of mine encodes on his Mac to H264, but I think my method gives slightly better quality. We're going to do some controlled testing on this soon to find out which of the 3 methods is the best, based on output quality:size ratio and ease of encoding.

Bottom line?

Low def files play natively, with no hassle on the XBMC. For high def, you need to do some converting and use the 360. This doesn't require modding your 360 though.

Thanks for your answers guys! Really helpful! As it is then I'll keep my Xbox for low-def vids and use Tversity and filetypes to WMV-HD, H264, or MPEG2 to play hi-def vids on the 360  smile.gif