xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Get Past The 4gb File Size On An External Hard Drive For The Xbox360  (Read 329 times)

faithlesssoul

• Archived User

Get past the 4gb file on an external hard drive for the xbox360
wmv hd files
First off as we all know the xbox360 will not read ntfs external drives so that sucks right because
we all would like to play some our wmv hd files on the xbox360. And most exceed the the 4gb file
size limit for fat32 as we know the xbox360 will read a fat32 drive no problem.
plus dual layer disc cost a lot of money and streaming can be a pain and some times the video
will lag even when its a lan line network.so i did some searching around and found out that apple
yes i said it apple on some of its computers and ipods use a file system called hfs+ is a type
of you guessed it fat file system(that aka will get you passed that 4gb limit).the only problem is  that file system windows will not read on by its self.
so and thus in lies a new problem so i did some more searching and found a little software call macdrive 7
(http://www.mediafour...ducts/macdrive/)
it works on xp and vista what this program dose is let
you format a windows base ntfs or fat32 drive it the hfs+
format and not only dose it let your windows base computer see it.it will all so let you put files aka wmv and wmvhd files in it that are over 4gb limit of a a normal fat 32 drive.so you can play wmv hd content
under the xbox360 media blade out of an  external hard drive.the program (macdrive7)(there is a trial there but its only seven day)(step 1)is very easy to use to get you set up you need to chose a drive i chose a seagate free agent 320gb external drive for my weapon of choice other drive should work fine for this to.
(step 2)install macdrive 7 let it restart and you will see a peace symboled in the right hand corner next to the time at least in window xp.(step 3) double click
on the macdrive icon it will have list of stuff it dose
you will see create a mac disk there are two choices
click the format or repair drive tab.(step 4)it ask what would you like to do click on the second one that says modify mac volumes  create format and delete mac volumes then click next.(step 5)chose your drive in the list that you want to format (note that this format will erase the drive you chose so make sure you chose the right one you want to change.)(step 6 click on initializes drive it then should ask you do you want to format this drive all data will be lost click next
it will then format your drive in this great hfs+ fat
format that will let you put wmv hd files that are bigger than that 4gb limit of normal fat32.
your are now done with this tut. just a quick note you do need to have this program in the computer to read
that drive if not it will not show up plus you will know what drive it is it put a little red apple icon next to the drive that is in this format after you are done you can just drag and drop wmv hd files strait in to this drive.plus you drive still has full function
in window like any other drive you might all so have in you system.i hope this has helped people get the most out of there xbox360 as possible. written by faithlesssoul aka frozenchicken in the #fw channel.
peace out    
 pop.gif

quall

• Archived User
Get Past The 4gb File Size On An External Hard Drive For The Xbox360
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »

Great way to get around it!, but man your formatting really needs to be cleaned up in that post.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

Nice, I don't have my Mac Mini on but surely OSX can format it as HSF+ as well for free in Disk Manager (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)?

This post has been edited by bucko: Jul 2 2007, 05:57 PM

moddingswede

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 2 2007, 10:57 AM) View Post

Nice, I don't have my Mac Mini on but surely OSX can format it as HSF+ as well for free in Disk Manager biggrin.gif?

I'm 99% sure it can. Oh, and nice find faithlesssoul.

pr0ph3t-

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »

Lol you act like you found it out yourself, tough luck buddy, no credits for you, cause I've seen it before, right here: http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=301528

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »

I too have seen it before... but he didn't claim to be the one who found it. And he didn't simply copy and paste from that article. He wrote a guide (which could be cleaned up ALOT) to help other people to do it also, and the guide IS by him (although he should credit the source he found the info as I doubt he found it out completely on his own).

Congrats on the guide, but you should really revise it so it's not one huge block of text.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by cerealkillajme: Jul 2 2007, 06:50 PM

pr0ph3t-

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »

so i did some searching around and found out that apple
yes i said it apple on some of its computers and ipods use a file system called hfs+ is a type
of you guessed it fat file system(that aka will get you passed that 4gb limit).the only problem is that file system windows will not read on by its self.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

Well sorry I didn't read the entire block of text. Maybe he did figure it out himself. Who cares, he didn't copy the guide directly as far as I can tell, so I don't see a problem with it. Even if he did see the shred of info around the net, which is usually "HFS+ formatted drives work on a 360", at least he turned it into a guide with a bit more info in it, it actually tells you step by step what you need to do to get it working, and AFAIK it's the only full guide to doing it, so...

ElementR7

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 2 2007, 12:57 PM) View Post
Nice, I don't have my Mac Mini on but surely OSX can format it as HSF+ as well for free in Disk Manager biggrin.gif ?

yeah i can do it on my macbook dont see why it would be a problem

faithlesssoul

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

i did for the xbox scene and the windows user that do not have a mac. plus if you have a mac and
a pc windows base box you still only could see the drive it in osx not windows if you did not have that macdrive software. i do not claim to be the first i just did it help people that might be looking through the forums
and might be having problems with wmv filesor just do not want to network or do not want to burn big media
files so  i hope in the end i hope it helps a few people thanks. biggrin.gif

museumsteve

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »

I wrote the original post on avforums (which was then copied to digital-forums by someone).
I'm glad faithlesssoul posted here cos my original post was made simply to share the good news so the more people know the better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Now if only someone would show me a way to play x264 on 360 I'll be well chuffed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (without re-encodes/transcodes)

impimpin206

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(museumsteve @ Jul 28 2007, 11:29 PM) View Post

I wrote the original post on avforums (which was then copied to digital-forums by someone).
I'm glad faithlesssoul posted here cos my original post was made simply to share the good news so the more people know the better smile.gif

Now if only someone would show me a way to play x264 on 360 I'll be well chuffed wink.gif (without re-encodes/transcodes)

NOT POSSIBLE.

nofear04

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »

can anyone confirm if they can do this for an mp3 player that allows for a hard drive partition  seperate from their music...[i.e ipods and creative zen visions]

nofear04

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(nofear04 @ Aug 8 2007, 07:51 AM) View Post

can anyone confirm if they can do this for an mp3 player that allows for a hard drive partition  seperate from their music...[i.e ipods and creative zen visions]

it doesnt work sad.gif...stuck with fat32

twobells

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »

No Luck.

I went to format a drive to htfs+ and installed Mac drive 7.0, the installation was flawless.
However, when I try to format a drive using 'modify mac voulmes' the mac drive 7 disk manager stops responding almost as soon as you hit the 'modify button'.

I am running a fully-updated Vista OS and VISTA can see all the drives which register as 'healthy' and are all currently NTFS.

My attempt at self-support has been a nightmare, i couldn't find a single entry anywhere about 'mac drive 7 disk manager not responding' or 'mac drive 7 won't list drives'.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

tb

This post has been edited by twobells: Dec 5 2007, 02:37 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3