xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X.264/h.264 And Other High Quality Codecs - Are They Using The Gpu Alo  (Read 71 times)

DuBob4432

• Archived User

with the new update ms has claimed support for h264 (and assuming x264 too, but haven't tried it out).  does anybody know if they are using the gpu in addition to the cpu like computer graphics card manf like have done with those codecs?

the reason i am asking is because i need a way to heat up the gpu for a specific amount of time as i am in the process of creating a new gpu heatsink (learning solidworks and have a friend that owns a aerospace machining company, so i have access to a lot of cnc equipment).  you can see what i am talking about in this thread - i am not the original poster but you can find my response down in the conversation and the first model i created in solidworks is there - a 40fin model over the 34fin model that ms created, and will be out of eithe c10200 or c10100 coppter (certified oxygen free, 99.99% pure, or oxygen free - 99.95% - depending on prices) - my design of the new gpu heatsink will be cut out of copper, which is what all of the best cpu/gpu heatsinks are made from in the computer world, and basically the 360 is a computer with a bad cooling setup.

some of you may just say to game and take readings.  well, that is good but i would like to take out as many variables as possilbe and i honestly can't sit down and game for 2-3 hours at a time, so if i convert one of my movies that i own (a long one, like gladiator) flavor of mp4, put it on flashdrive, then i can periodically take temps or even look into a probe and temp reading software to hook up to my laptop and have it take readings every x amount of time to see if a copper heatsink is much better than the stock one ms put on their units.  obviously the xbracket mod will be done along with some other mods, but they will stay constant throughout the test.

or any video that pushes the gpu hard whether it be some 720p demo of a movie that is at least 30mins long - as long as it pushes the video, that is what i am after.

thanks in advance for your time,
bob

mrwhitesnor

• Archived User
X.264/h.264 And Other High Quality Codecs - Are They Using The Gpu Alo
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »

X262 does not work NICE..lol its crashing on me .. ALL the damm time..lol and the quality sucks.. (@ xbox360) pc its awsome. for the rest.. donno tongue.gif