xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Orb Networks: Free PC To TV Service For 17 Million Households  (Read 253 times)

openxdkman

• Archived User
Orb Networks: Free PC To TV Service For 17 Million Households
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 04:47:00 AM »

Mmm...
If bandwidth of their site is very huge, then it will help collapsing internet global bandwidth a bit more.
If not, it will be a permanently congested service...

Still need some pure local LAN solutions. Problem of XBMC is that xbox1 will slowly vanish over time.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »

well as i was going threw all there support they says you can setup orb to run purly on lan buy some port fowarding tricks. like i said im not juging it just yet but the beta is indded unstable slow and finding ways to workaround those glitches are hidden around the site and form post. relly a insanly specked pc to tanscode to wmv is relly getting out of hand. a simple install of mencoder/mplayer windows or linux and i can tanscode realtime on my old 333mhz. and that is not a joke i befor mencoder was for windows i would use linux to encode mystuff couse insteed of taking all day it took simply realtime on a rather slow and old pc. now i have a newer pc and still everything is dirt slow compared to the linux stuff. relly do windows softwhere wrighters intently make there encoders slow.

dinzy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(794 @ Mar 22 2007, 10:43 AM) View Post

exactly...well put...xbox with XBMC still works the best.

at least others are trying though - now if only we can get the appletv hacked for larger hard drive and divx/xvid then that would be a sweet piece of equipment - very sleek and portable

AppleTV is crap.  The damn thing costs 300 bucks, only plays Apple formats,  and only puts out 720p.  What an overpriced POS just like the stupid MAC.  For 400 bucks you can get a 360 and stream M$ formats AND play games.  If MS opened up and allowed direct streaming of all media it would be king, but just like Apple they want to lock you to their store to get the content you want, or have to go through some hoops to view it.  It's rather obnoxious considering the fact that they do ( or will soon) let you order stuff on demand and in HD and that convenience alone is reason to purchase the content.  Letting people stream other content from their PCs is hardly a form of competition that needs to be squashed.    

1nsan3

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »

i tested this Orb out, Video Quality is just crap. I know there still beta, but Ive been using Tversity for a while now. On windows xp pro. I will never touch media center thats just junk im not going to install media center just to use VLC360 screw that.

TVersity hasnt let me down yet. Quality inst perfect, but it sure is better than ORB, i streamed the same internet video through both ( 1 at a time ) orb was choppy, and laggy at times,
Tversity was a bit smoother, and not so laggy hardly ever.

But its the end user depends where u are YOUR bandwidth YOUR computer etc.

HansiHusten

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »

Will try it on my 2003 Server and will report if divx and co will work fine, hope so!

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(infamous_Q @ Mar 22 2007, 07:04 AM) View Post

yeah this seems just like a tversity rip off to me...

Orb has been out for quite some time..  It also streams to cell phones.

I wish XMBC was the answer, but the processor is too slow.

reidy-

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

Hi will it stream in high definition, and in general I realy need .TS files

Jonm888

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »

Does anyone know if this will stream Netflix's Watch Now?

scuzzell

• Recovered User
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

I don't know why some people are saying this is crap. I have been using Orb for quite some time now and am very pleased with the results. I do not have a 360 but use Orb to stream video to my PDA over WiFi and also to my laptop when I'm not home.

The PDA is usually on my Home WLAN connection and the bitrate is adjusted accordingly. The result is usually a crystal clear picture.

Using the laptop over the internet the picture is not perfect but it's pretty good. Between 80-90% of the quality of directly watching my TV tuner card.

Orb is a fantastic service (and for free too!) and I recommend it for anyone, not just 360 owners.

~Scuzzell

audi_a8

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 02:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(scuzzell @ Mar 23 2007, 12:17 AM) View Post

I don't know why some people are saying this is crap. I have been using Orb for quite some time now and am very pleased with the results. I do not have a 360 but use Orb to stream video to my PDA over WiFi and also to my laptop when I'm not home.

The PDA is usually on my Home WLAN connection and the bitrate is adjusted accordingly. The result is usually a crystal clear picture.

Using the laptop over the internet the picture is not perfect but it's pretty good. Between 80-90% of the quality of directly watching my TV tuner card.

Orb is a fantastic service (and for free too!) and I recommend it for anyone, not just 360 owners.

~Scuzzell

people on this forum have a xbox360 so they have installed orb only to use it for streaming. But the result is crap! thats why we see a lot of complaints...

Raven2x

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(dinzy @ Mar 22 2007, 04:09 PM) View Post

AppleTV is crap.  The damn thing costs 300 bucks, only plays Apple formats,  and only puts out 720p.  What an overpriced POS just like the stupid MAC.  For 400 bucks you can get a 360 and stream M$ formats AND play games.  If MS opened up and allowed direct streaming of all media it would be king, but just like Apple they want to lock you to their store to get the content you want, or have to go through some hoops to view it.  It's rather obnoxious considering the fact that they do ( or will soon) let you order stuff on demand and in HD and that convenience alone is reason to purchase the content.  Letting people stream other content from their PCs is hardly a form of competition that needs to be squashed.

Uh, only plays apple formats? Last time I checked H264, AAC, and mp4 container arent apple formats buddy.
Lot more standard then fucking WMV.
But yes, the 360 being opened to streaming all formats would indeed be king.

Scarpad

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 05:10:00 AM »

Like Previous Orb setups this is pretty easy to do, it works pretty well adjusting the quality to your connection.
My only problem , and it's not really an Orb issue is that it dumps all your media into one Gigantic list. I have over 600 files and scrolling thru those to fine one is a hassle. On the PC side it adhere's to folder structure. The Newly released Apple TV handles streaming video the same way and it's just not convienient, if there were a way around this I would probably use orb, it's the best solution on the 360 I've seen
Pages: 1 [2]