xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rumor: Walmart Selling HD-DVD 360 Addon for 130usd?  (Read 184 times)

xtreme_360fw

• Archived User
Rumor: Walmart Selling HD-DVD 360 Addon for 130usd?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »

Just got back from Wally-Mart myself, still selling for $200 there.  This story is false.  I even spoke with the electronics manager and he said they would never sell it for that low, at least, not yet!  This has gotta be some Bluray propaganda for sure!  Ugh!  dry.gif

=Xtreme=

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

I read an article the other day that people who do this research are actually including PS3 Games as Movies because it's Blu-Ray media so the numbers are highly inflated/exaggerated. I dunno were the article was.

Walmart are probably getting money incentives of Sony if they sell Blu-Ray only products and players to. Seems all about Deception to me.

Anyhow if you get a HD-DVD 360 Player can't you still make your home movies and just buy the media if you have a HD camcorder and HD-DVD burner? So it's not totally dead if you can still use it.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »

It's still $199 CDN for the HD-DVD addon before taxes here in Toronto. I still won't touch it, whether it's on sale or not.

sometihng I really liked, was the fact that as a console gamer, I was never forced to pay for and subsidize the HD-DVD by being forced to pay for it be default in the base or premium units for 360. unlike our friends with the Sony Ps3, where EVERYONE pays for bluray, whether you want it or not, whether you need it or not.

this isn't indicative of whether BluRay or HD has won the war. This crap is what.. less than a year on the market. I'm seeing alot of BOTH type of the media left on shelves. I find people just aren't convince that these two new video formats are worth our time or money at this point. Especially with the overall cost of enjoying these formats really being far higher than just the cost of the movies.

New TV's. new Audio equipment, etc all needed to really make it worthwhile.

If it drops in price for real.. maybe it'll be worth buying as a media drive, save some wear and tear on the internal drive that plays games.

For me.. despite the higher rez etc.. the new video formats aren't "better" for me. I also don't see them having the staying power or longevity that DVD has had.

The next gen beyond HD and Blu Ray is already being worked on and talked about. I really don't feel like spending a fortune on this new gen of video formats when the next next gen isn't far off.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »

dont forget the HD DVD player can be used on your PC.....
PS3/BlueRay cant..

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(LESTAT @ Mar 21 2007, 03:10 PM) View Post

dont forget the HD DVD player can be used on your PC.....

that.. is probably the only good argument I've seen for buying an HD-DVD add on.

TheIceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »

I dont know if people are buying more BR than HD. But what I can say for 100% sure is that they are making more BR movies than HD.

As far as someone saying there is not much difference between standard movies and HD nd BR. Well all I can say to that is simply not true. There is a night and day difference between DVD and HD/BR. Anyone that actually has a HD tv and not either one of these new formats has simply wasted their money on their tv set. DVD looks horrid compared to HD and BR.

As far as a new format coming out thats totally different than HD and BR. I seriously doubt that. It's gonna end up being either one or a player that uses both.

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »

Well, I can saftely say wal mart has been pushing BR since the beginning and leaving hd dvd as an after thought. I mean, HD movies at walmart are still a joke period; they're in a tiny little impossible to find side cabinet marked all over the place blu ray placards. The hd dvd movies are in there too, about 1 for every 10 BR discs... and there's usually a pile of random discs just chucked in the bottom so nobody can see them. Last time I went to buy one, I had to get a salesman to open the case.. and when I asked for the disc, he looks at me and goes "Are you.. sure you want to buy that?". After asking him if they were planning on moving the hd titles to a more prominent part of the store, he said no, citing the reason that most consumers wouldn't know the difference between them and normal DVDs.

While he may be right, that sure says a lot about the demographic that typically shops at wal mart...

Now, Target on the other hand is at least reasonable about HD movies.. They have their own section, on a two part rack with one side for blu ray and the other for hd dvd. On a display insert on both sides, they have specs of each (disc capacity, HD sound and picture, etc), as well as the devices their compatible with (They specifically mention the xbox 360 add on for hd dvd and the ps3 for blu ray).

In any case, if wal mart is clearing out their hd dvd stuff, they'll be clearing out their blu ray stuff too. There's no way they'd be 'declaring a winner' at this stage in the game (Unless sony pushed a large sum of money their way to do so...).

oxjeremy334

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »

Different Wal-Marts have different prices.  Usually at a smaller Wal-Mart, where space is a factor, then you see clearance prices on items that are not on clearance in Wal-Mart's nationwide.  I've seen official wired xbox360 controllers on clearance at my local Wal-Mart for months.  I guess that Wal-Mart is moving to only selling Wired PS3 controllers (haha).  I've even seen core 360's on clearance at a few walmarts (for $291.00).

SphtKr76

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(generalnewbie @ Mar 21 2007, 01:13 PM) View Post

Question about the HD DVD addon.

Does the HD DVD addon upscale regular DVDs? Is it restricted to VGA or Component
I still don't have a standalone DVD player that can upscale other then my xbox.

The HD add-on will play HD movies at 1080p over VGA, and up to 1080i over component. Likewise, it will upscale standard DVD's over VGA, but is limited to 480p through component.

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nytemunkey @ Mar 21 2007, 02:00 PM) View Post

The reliablity of a forum named "cheap ass gamer" is really in question here.

CAG is a very good site.ive fount lots of killer deals that i would have missed had that site not been up.

i've also heard the same rumor on a few other sites such as sickdeals and many members confirmed it to be true.i beleave the HD players werent sellin well at some walmarts so they marked them down.i run into that alot at my local walmarts. one will have something on closeout but the others dont.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

maybe the price is planned to drop in the near future?  Maybe when the new elite 360 comes out.

anton2015

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »

You guess are lucky in the states, here we dont even have Walmart

elitegamer360

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »

HD-DVD or Blu-ray I dont give a shit, I hope this shit ends soon I cant wait to buy the HD winner format.

Nytemunkey

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(anton2015 @ Mar 22 2007, 01:12 AM) View Post

You guess are lucky in the states, here we dont even have Walmart

Believe me, you don't want a walmart anywhere near you.

QUOTE(ThUgLoVe @ Mar 22 2007, 12:17 AM) View Post

CAG is a very good site.ive fount lots of killer deals that i would have missed had that site not been up.

Site maybe alright, but not the FORUM. At least for news.

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »

Well, I am glad I already chose HDDVD...

'The Matrix' Trilogy Comes to HD DVD

Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 06:59 PM ET
Tags: Disc Announcements, Warner ( all tags)

In one of the biggest catalog announcements yet for HD DVD, Warner Home Video has set a May 22 arrival for two extensive box set collections of the blockbuster 'Matrix' series.

The revolutionary sci-fi trilogy, which grossed over $600 million in the U.S. alone, has long been rumored to be in the planning stages for next-gen release. Thought to be a "killer app" -- the kind of trojan horse title that would entice non-early adopters into the high-def fold -- Warner is already gearing up for one of its biggest-ever HD DVD releases.

The studio will unleash two different configurations, both streeting simultaneously on May 22.

'The Complete Matrix Trilogy' will span three discs and include each film in the trilogy -- 'The Matrix,' 'The Matrix Reloaded' and 'The Matrix Revolutions' -- plus a four bonus disc with extras, 'The Matrix: Revisited.' Each film will also include an Interactive Movie Experience (IME) feature exclusive to the HD DVD, which will deliver an video commentary featuring interviews with the cast and filmmakers, behind-the-scenes footage and more.

'The Ultimate Matrix Collection' will replicate the extensive standard-def box set of the same name which debuted two years ago. In addition to the three IME-enhanced 'Matrix' titles and 'The Matrix Revisited,' an additional 35 hours of bonus materials will be included.

Warner has not yet issued full specs for either box set, including whether what, if any, supplemental features will be presented in 1080p. But we'll certainly keep you posted.

Suggested list price will be $99.99 for 'The Complete Matrix Trilogy' and, for only $20 more, you can grab 'The Ultimate Matrix Collection' for $119.99.

No Blu-ray version of either 'Matrix' set has been announced. However, Warner says it plans to release a comparable version later this year, once Blu-ray's much-touted BD-Java environment is finally ready for prime time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3