xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DTS Sound Output is Coming to the Xbox 360 HD-DVD?  (Read 214 times)

Elemino

• Archived User
DTS Sound Output is Coming to the Xbox 360 HD-DVD?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »

I don't know what the bandwidth limit is on the optical connectors on our receivers, but I know that the plastic fiber itself can carry much more data than the s/pdif is limited to. I think it's time for a system overhaul by manufacturers. Funny how sony is all behind the blu-ray, HDMI, and Sony/Philips Digital InterFace, but they have yet to come up with a solution for this problem. (If it is in deed a problem)

Craptastic!

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(bourke @ Nov 30 2006, 01:25 AM) View Post

Wrong:

EVERYTHING gets converted to Dolby Digital at the moment.

DTS is NOT passed through as it should be!

TrueHD and DTS are DOWN-CONVERTED to DD 5.1.

And Caldor is correct about S/PDIF not being high enough band width to handle TrueHD - TrueHD *requires* at least HDMI 1.3.

Get your facts straight!

Wrong:

I just put the DTS DVD of Saving Private Ryan in my HD-DVD player and guess what?  My receiver picks up the audio as a DTS stream.

As I already mentioned in my initial post, DTS-HD does get down converted to Dolby Digital and I never said otherwise.

Get YOUR facts straight!

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Craptastic! @ Nov 30 2006, 07:02 PM) View Post

Wrong:

I just put the DTS DVD of Saving Private Ryan in my HD-DVD player and guess what?  My receiver picks up the audio as a DTS stream.

As I already mentioned in my initial post, DTS-HD does get down converted to Dolby Digital and I never said otherwise.

Get YOUR facts straight!

I'm not connected to the chain of discussion but:
What do you think that proves?  That the external drive can use the same standard DVD playback software as the internal drive uses?  If you had a HDDVD with standard DTS on the disc what you've done might have been a propper test.  The issue is the software they wrote to run the HDDVD playback is currently configured to downmix everything to DD5.1.  If you run a standard DVD anywhere in the machine it's going to use the standard DVD playback software which isn't hobbled by this feature.

Craptastic!

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

Point taken and I stand corrected.

Since I currently don't have an HD-DVD with DTS track, a search over at AVSForum confirms that all audio tracks on HD-DVD get converted to DD.

whatnub

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »

Really? I saw DTS on the box.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(bourke @ Nov 30 2006, 01:25 AM) View Post

Wrong:

EVERYTHING gets converted to Dolby Digital at the moment.

DTS is NOT passed through as it should be!

TrueHD and DTS are DOWN-CONVERTED to DD 5.1.

And Caldor is correct about S/PDIF not being high enough band width to handle TrueHD - TrueHD *requires* at least HDMI 1.3.

Get your facts straight!

Heh, for some reason that conjured up the image of the 360 trying to take a big fat dump through it's optical port and not quite managing to do it.  I really need to get some sleep... rotfl.gif

sideysid

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 04:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(Caldor @ Dec 1 2006, 03:01 AM) View Post

Its not about technical things its about studios locking down the content on secure digital interconnects, and thats HDMI.

You can get Doly TrueHD etc through 5/6/7.1 analogue outputs, so what has that got to do with anything?

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(sideysid @ Dec 21 2006, 12:08 PM) View Post

You can get Doly TrueHD etc through 5/6/7.1 analogue outputs, so what has that got to do with anything?

It's because studios are more worried about "exact copies" for some reason rather than people copying of analog sources. DVD's originally had the digital audio connections locked for copying but analog always works.
Pages: 1 [2]