xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trouble With Mce 2005  (Read 94 times)

Total_Noob

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« on: November 27, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »

Iv had problems streaming media right from the start with my 360...

I started out using WMC with a network cable running direct from my pc to my 360. This occasionally decided it would connect but very rarely.

Next, out came WMP 11 and it was with this i got best results. Still using my cable direct from pc to 360, WMP 11 never failed to connect. I then went out and bought a Safecom SWAMR-54108 wireless adsl router. I still managed to get WMP 11 to work flawlessly without forwarding any ports what so ever.

Then.... i bought Media Center. Iv seen videos of the media center extender and liked what i saw. But so far iv had no luck getting my box to connect, i just see this screen every time i attempt it...

(IMG:http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l172/Lakey91/CannotBeContacted.png)

I have forwarded all the ports (i think! im not really sure how port forwarding works) and iv tried it with McAfee turned off, still no luck. I have windows firewall turned off so that cant be affecting it. I have also tried with my old direct cable from pc to 360, that didnt work either! Oh yeah and yesterday i reformatted my machine to see if that would work.... what a waste of 5 hours!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im having trouble keeping myself from throwing my 360 out the window! Oh, heres a pic of it just for reference....

(IMG:http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l172/Lakey91/IMGP3349.jpg)
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

kesava108

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »

Hi

check this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916179/en-us particularly step 3 create MCRD user group manually. I tried everything else i found here but this one step has helped me connect twice. Make sure u have july rollup update 2 as well.

Oh and then i use transcode 360 which has worked like a charm for me to watch eveything i have ever downloaded. Most say vlc is better but i couldn't get it going. Good luck.

(IMG:http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/keshava.png)

This post has been edited by kesava108: Nov 27 2006, 08:25 PM

Total_Noob

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

Thanks for providing me with that info kesava however it did not help.

I think i must not have forwarded my ports correctly.

Heres a shot of my routers interface thingy, now i know not all routers are the same but someone out there may be able to help....

(IMG:http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l172/Lakey91/ports.png)

My local IP settings:
   My Router:  192.168.123.254
   My PC:        192.168.123.166
   My 360:       192.168.123.198

Oh yeah i should add that Xbox live is also working flawlessly without forwarding any ports...

Man this is so frustrating!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

MaxP

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »

damm damm damm......
what a sweet 360..
stunning example.

anyhow to the problem...

your using wireless (but have also tried wired con)
there whould be no need at all to open any ports to allow the 360 to speak with your MCE pc.
the ports you open only allow for machines external to your router (ie the tinternet) to access your PC on them ports.

it might be an idea to remove any ports you have added to try and resolve this problem.
infact i would pretty much insist that you do this pretty smart like.

EDITED***** in fact dude this is really very important you remove them port forwards*********

i was initialy concerned about maybe it the performance of your wireless but you said you have tried wirelees and wired....so lets not worry about that.

just had a little idea... unfortunatly the wife is in control of the TV (im a non celeb get me on the tv is on all week) so i cannot test it.

but i seemed to recall with one of my many reinstalls that once i was totaly unable to get the PC to see the 360 during the set up of the extender. this if i recall was becasue the 360 as far as it was concered with *married* to my previous installed OS.

have a look on the 360 in the options there is a setting to test the media center connection.
if the 360 is still *married* to your previous set up then the 360 will test this and fail and then it asks if you want to set up a new connection. this sort of frees up the 360 so that when you run the setup on your PC it will see the 360 as being *looking* as such.

like i say i cant get on the 360 at the moment and i seem to recall a situation like this....
it might just be the smoke but give it a ago.

good luck..

even if it isnt working 100% your 360 is still in need of a good humping.
sweet sweet looking box indeed.

This post has been edited by MaxP: Nov 27 2006, 09:44 PM

Total_Noob

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »

Thanks MaxP for your advice and glad to see you like my 360 but.....

IT DIDNT F***ING WORK AGAIN!!!!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

And as my original post wasnt clear... I aint using wireless to connect my 360, the wireless is for my laptop and my psp, the 360 is simply plugged into one of the routers ethernet ports.

Anyway i accidentally clicked 'Update Extender' instead of 'Add 360' and i was presented with the following screen....

(IMG:http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l172/Lakey91/update.png)

This kinda suggests the PC knows the 360 is there so im totally confuzzled as to why they dont just connect!

Anyone else got any suggestions??? If not i guess im back to using WMP11... not what i want.

Cheers

MaxP

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »

Mate....
just incase your making a very simple mistake.

you cannot just use media extender built into to MCE to conenct to your 360.
there is a bit of 360 specific software you need to install onto your MCE PC.

im thinking maybe your used to just using media connect within MCE and hence trying to carry on the same way...

have a looksee here
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/pcsetup

the second page will give you a drop down list of several setups and when you select yours it will prompt to download a file to your MCE PC.
install this file and it will update your MCE extender to work with the 360 and then carry on with the installation.

again might be totaly off the mark here.

Total_Noob

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »

Hey guys, sorry i havnt posted in a few days, been a lil busy with mock gcses...

Anyways.... @MaxP - Yeah i have tried EVERYTHING, i am using the 360 extender from xbox.com and i have all the .NET Framework 1.1, 1.1 SP1 and all the other crap that comes with it.

Problem comes when i try to connect to the 360... I enter my 8 digit code, press continue on the 360 and next on my pc... Then nothing happens, i just see the message 'Xbox 360 cannot be contacted'

Once, my 360 did display a 'connecting to media center' screen for a second but nothing on my pc and connection still failed. Since then however i have tried some 50 times more and not seen this screen once.

SO.... it looks like i just wasted £80 on media center!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Unless anyone else has any suggestions of course...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

MaxP

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Total_Noob @ Dec 2 2006, 07:16 PM) *

Problem comes when i try to connect to the 360... I enter my 8 digit code, press continue on the 360 and next on my pc... Then nothing happens, i just see the message 'Xbox 360 cannot be contacted'

dude your shit just got a whole load more confusing.
im pretty sure the creation of the 8 digit code is a two way process between the PC and the 360.
so the two must be communicating to get that far but then as soon as you try to connect it all goes titsup.com

i have an idea but it is a total out there without foundation idea.
im raking my brains to try and think of a situation which might fit with your discription of whats happened.
where it initialy displayed the connecting to media centre screen, which then diapeared and now dosnt return at all.

when the 360 connects to the media centre this is no different that a remote desktop of sorts.
the actual picture you see on the 360 screen is driven by a process on your MCE.
hears wild speculation....

the first time you tired to connect this process was running, hence the initial connecting too screen.
this caused the process that drives the MCE extender to crash and now it wont restart.
hence each sucesive time you try to connect it tells you instantly there is no media center.

hows that for a bit of a stab in the dark.....

things to try now.
test the 360 with a firends know working MCE PC if possible.
try and find out which process runs the extender on the MCE PC ( i will have a quick looksee)
and check out if it is runnong or not and if its possible to test it somehow with out using the 360.

hey all is not lost....
after seeing your spiffing case i started my own WIP.
the case is comming a long a royal treat....
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=568701

Darkenigma75

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Myabe someone on this board can help me out. I have been having difficulties with my 360 and MCE 2005 since day one. I have downloaded the roll up, but everytime I try and install it it tells me I don't have MCE 2005. When I check MCe it says its 2005. I can't install Media Player 11 either.  Anyone know what might cause this, cause it's really starting to piss me off.

Rouge4342

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

Hey Total_Noob

I have exactly the same problem as you, and was wnodering whether you got the problem resolved in the end.

I've done all the things suggested on this post so would be grateful if you have the magic answer.

I too have Windows Media Connect working fine on the Xbox, andXbox Live works fine. I can play all my music on the Windows MCE PC from my xbox but only via the Music selection on the media dashboard and not Media Centre. I've been working on this since late January.

I've disabled McAfee, deleted the privacy tool in McAfee, turned off Windows Firewall, but still have problems

Cheers Rouge

kornesque

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »

just to help, the process running extender is "ehxxx.exe", i just can't remember which one. there's 3 or 4 of that series running. i think ehrecvr is the one...again, just to get you on the right track for the process. also, have you tried un/reinstalling extender on the PC? i've heard of people having problems after trying to update the extender and this seemed to be the fix.

This post has been edited by kornesque: Feb 11 2007, 05:32 PM

Rouge4342

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »

Hi kornesque

Thanks for your thoughts...

I checked the processes running and you are right there are 3 ehXXX.exe running.

Also I had heard previously that it was a good idea to remove the Media Centre Extender software when trying to connect the Xbox which I have been doing each time I try something different.

I have a sneaky feeling that my issue maybe the DLink DSL G604T ADSL Router between my Xbox and MCE PC. The reason being that when I try to connect the extender, the software complains that a firewall exists that may be blocking connection!! even though I have diabled both the McAfee and Windows Firewalls.

Anyone had success using this type of router with Media Centre?

Frustrating  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

skankx

• Archived User
Trouble With Mce 2005
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »

1st of all the ports you have forwarded are forwarded for the wrong ip.... it should be the xbox ip not the laptop ip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

i also noticed you have selected both (UDP/TCP) thats not a good idea.... use this for reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911728

After you have corrected the above. I would go to my network connections and run the home network wizard.

Im pretty sure you will conect just fine after this..... i occasionally loose connectivity and have to run the wizard 1 in every 6 weeks or so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif) but its no big deal once you know whats causing the problem.

Hope this helps dude

P.S

Yes i like the look of your box but im a little concerned just how well you keep your machine from over heating with that internal neon???

This post has been edited by skankx: Feb 21 2007, 01:34 PM