xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga Upconvert - Adapters...  (Read 68 times)

Geirskogul

• Archived User
Vga Upconvert - Adapters...
« on: November 15, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »

VGA is analog, and DVI is purely digital.  To both convert it to digital while keeping the resolutions and doing it fast enough not to loose video/sound sync while having lagless gameplay will cost a pretty penny.  You may have better luck just buying an upscaling dvd player.

Geirskogul

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Fatz_z @ Nov 16 2006, 01:45 AM) View Post

Thanks for the reply. You may be right, hard to wait for them to come out with an HDMI cable though.

It wouldn't be a simple "cable".  It's been stated many times that the 360 simply isn't capable of digital output.  It can't be just "enabled" through a FW update, it's just not possible.  HDMI is PURELY digital.  It would have to be a cable that had a converter for the VGA signal as well as circuitry to encode the HDCP encryption to the converted VGA signal built in.  

In short: I think it's HIGHLY unlikely.  Of course, I may be proven wrong in the future, but there aren't any plans for it right now.  biggrin.gif

elmo_sni

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(Geirskogul @ Nov 15 2006, 03:33 PM) View Post

VGA is analog, and DVI is purely digital.  To both convert it to digital while keeping the resolutions and doing it fast enough not to loose video/sound sync while having lagless gameplay will cost a pretty penny.  You may have better luck just buying an upscaling dvd player.

DVI-d is purley digital... most TV's that use the DVI connection are DVI-I (hybrid), but since you're only going to go from DVI-I <-> HDMI it's not possible.

hmm what are the pricing ranges of signal conversion units anyway? pretty high... especially at that resolution

and this is more along the lines of a " a/v forum " question