xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb Stick And 360 For Watching Movies?  (Read 58 times)

I Am Aurora

• Archived User
Usb Stick And 360 For Watching Movies?
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »

no you wont be able to watch movies. If there is a fall update, we might be able to stream video via Windows media player beta 2, until then, you gotta burn dvds.

j3y q

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »

why would anybody perform illegals as such as burning dvds but lately when i watch my "bakckups" i sutimes see skipping or a lil freezeing

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(leamingtonspaceman @ Sep 16 2006, 09:07 AM)  

I have XP on my laptop so I can't stream movies to my 360 with the new Windows Media Player 11. I'm a bit fed up with wasting discs by burning movies in order to watch them on my TV via my DVD player. If I bought a 2GB USB stick, put the files on there and then plugged this into my 360, will I be able to watch the movie files on my TV through my 360 from the memory stick?

If so, what files will it support? Will it support XviD and DivX?

Cheers for any help guys

1. you can't stream video from winxp unless you do a little bit of system hacking.
2. you can't play video from USB devices, and thats not an accident and is unlikely to change in the future
3. there is no way to play divx/xvid or anything like that on the 360. even streaming from a media center pc, the formats the 360 supports is very limited.

if you have an old xbox lieing around, your best bet is to just use xbox media center. thats what i do. i have my 360 and xbox side by side.

timver

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »

Hey on a search I say this old thread and figured now that the new fall update is out is this now possible to do?

I want it for watching home movies that I have now on my PC. Save to a USB stick and watch on my large screen TV. So can XBOX360 do this now with the new NXE update?

Thanks

dpbmt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »

yes, it was able to do it along time ago.

Millerboy3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »

very long time ago... theres also now a 3rd gen zune. xD  wow!  i still like using my zune to do this so much easier and 0 buffer time when playing.

nicknack

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(leamingtonspaceman @ Sep 17 2006, 12:36 AM)  

I have XP on my laptop so I can't stream movies to my 360 with the new Windows Media Player 11. I'm a bit fed up with wasting discs by burning movies in order to watch them on my TV via my DVD player. If I bought a 2GB USB stick, put the files on there and then plugged this into my 360, will I be able to watch the movie files on my TV through my 360 from the memory stick?

If so, what files will it support? Will it support XviD and DivX?

Cheers for any help guys

You can play files on your xbox through a usb, you just have to go video library and select UBS device.

I can play files from a USB stick on my 360 there AVI files, Only thing i've noticed when plugging in usb things to my 360 id that it won't pick up my portable hard NTSF Formatted or my ipod fat32 formatted, but it does pick up my usb stick FAT formatted, hope this helps.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »

This thread is very old.  At the time it was not possible to play vids from usb nor divx files.  This has long since changed.

Thread closed to prevent further helpful tips.