xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Running Vista Media Center on Xbox 360 - Video  (Read 223 times)

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
Running Vista Media Center on Xbox 360 - Video
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »

This is news? iv done this like a month ago with my own vista beta 2 and 360 (i ordered the DVD from MS) i personally like vista MC more than 2005 its more organized than 05 ohh well at least this news wasent of a new firmware hack...

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 12:38:00 AM »

I know i'm gonna pick up the Vista version that has the media center on it.  I already bought XP pro when I got my PC.  I don't really wanna buy the currect media center cause it is mostly XP pro with MCE.  Where as vista will be build with it in mind.  Not as some add-on app.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 01:11:00 AM »

Why would I buy such a machine with raw, pure power while it's only multimedia purpose is being useful as a Media Extender? Who would think that I want to have two damn radiators online just for playing one movie on my TV? Oh yeah, sure I can control my media center remotely but what do I get for it? I can manage my recordings? I never watch TV and do not even know what I would want to record. Watch movies over the network? They didn't invent file transfer/sharing/streaming protocols for nothing.

The Xbox 360 is powerful, as a lot of people claim. I can't wait until Xbox Media Center 360 unleashes the full potential of this console. Until that time, I stick with my Xbox and Xbox Media Center for my multimedia needs. It's a shame that MS again trusts the open-source community, who will make their console more popular.

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 04:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Jul 28 2006, 02:18 AM) View Post

The Xbox 360 is powerful, as a lot of people claim. I can't wait until Xbox Media Center 360 unleashes the full potential of this console. Until that time, I stick with my Xbox and Xbox Media Center for my multimedia needs. It's a shame that MS again trusts the open-source community, who will make their console more popular.

Could not have said it better...still patiently waiting for XBMC360...

...and using my original Xbox(s) daily for playing videos and other media...

Valver

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »

Worth noting is that MS very stupidly region locked Vistas beta MCE support so it only works with *US* 360s.  FFS.

I have a 360 and MCE2005.  I live in the UK.  I want to be able to try Vista with my 360 but theyve locked me out.  Nice work.  grr.gif

(further info:  http://forums.xbox.c...8/ShowPost.aspx )

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 07:40:00 AM »

i actully like the way the extender works...
wiht my xbox i have alot of video and music files on the system...
BUT i also have those same files on my computer...(i know i could set up a share but thats my point)
media center is basicly an advanced sharing between the pc and 360
i like it for music and pictures
and if i have to use a transcoder or converter to watch my other videos fine.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »

MS just don't get it. The 360 is an independent device, and it should not require a PC to be used for it's full media playback potential. XBMC for 360 would really unlock it's potential.

They could even offer the DivX/Xvid codec on marketplace for a few points, I'm sure they will make a fair bit of money from it.

PS I am also from the UK and I cannot try the functionality as it only supports US consoles.   grr.gif

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(tutu @ Jul 28 2006, 10:04 AM) View Post

MS just don't get it. The 360 is an independent device, and it should not require a PC to be used for it's full media playback potential. XBMC for 360 would really unlock it's potential.

They could even offer the DivX/Xvid codec on marketplace for a few points, I'm sure they will make a fair bit of money from it.

PS I am also from the UK and I cannot try the functionality as it only supports US consoles.   grr.gif

Perhaps you don't get it. XBMC is not meant to run as a standalone on the console. It's designed to run with windows and only windows. You do realize MS makes the extender without it being built in with the 360? All they did was take that an integrate the key components into the 360. now I could agree with the Xvid/Divx but there is transcode 360 out for that so why should MS provide that? MS may not be able to offer it. They do not have the license for Divx/Xvid so therefore even if they wanted to sell it, they can't until they come with an agreement with the creators and/or ownership of that format.

tutu

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(amb7247 @ Jul 28 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

Perhaps you don't get it. XBMC is not meant to run as a standalone on the console. It's designed to run with windows and only windows. You do realize MS makes the extender without it being built in with the 360? All they did was take that an integrate the key components into the 360. now I could agree with the Xvid/Divx but there is transcode 360 out for that so why should MS provide that? MS may not be able to offer it. They do not have the license for Divx/Xvid so therefore even if they wanted to sell it, they can't until they come with an agreement with the creators and/or ownership of that format.

First of all -  XBMC is Xbox Media Centre, a homebrew application/dashboard for the Xbox. The 360 is powerful enough to playback various media without a PC, it does not need a media extender. XBMC on the Xbox is superior to the 360's media capabilities in terms of video.

It would NOT be a big deal for MS to issue a dash update that allows increased playback functionality. It's simple software engineering, not some magic  biggrin.gif

I'm sure "Media Extender" would be useful however, but since I cannot even try it as it only support US consoles at the moment, I cannot judge it.

As for Divx, MS could easily license it and have it paid for by people who want it on the market place.
Pages: 1 [2]