xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Jamcast Audio Streaming Server - Beta Sign-Up  (Read 173 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Jamcast Audio Streaming Server - Beta Sign-Up
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »

Jamcast Audio Streaming Server - Beta Sign-Up-- Posted by XanTium on June 11 00:19 EST
We received this news from Software Development Solutions. They are working on a UPnP-compliant audio streaming server to stream your music from your Windows PC to your (for example) Xbox 360:

Software Development Solutions, Inc. is pleased to announce our UPnP-compliant network audio server for Windows - code named "Jamcast". This software was designed to be 100% compatible with the Xbox 360!

Within a matter of weeks, we will be releasing Beta 1 to a small, well-targeted group of testers who are interested in providing product feedback that will help drive the success of our product. Beta testers will be selected based on library and listening demographics (primary audio file format, size of library, type of device, etc.). We're trying to keep the testing group manageable, so unfortunately not all applicants will be selected.

Feature Highlights:
- Runs on Windows XP, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows ME, and Windows Server 2003.
- Recognizes metadata from MP3 (ID3v1.1, ID3v2), WMA / WMA Lossless, FLAC / OGG (Vorbis comments), ALAC / AAC
- MP3, WMA (all flavors including Lossless), FLAC, ALAC, OGG, & Shorten can all be transcoded to a configurable-bitrate MP3, WAV, or LPCM
- M3U, PLS, WPL (Windows Media) playlists supported
- Supports Windows Media DRM 10 for Network Devices
- Podcast support (integrated RSS aggregator)
- Rich AJAX-based web user interface allows you to browse your entire library (including album art), search, create playlists, control your devices, and configure the server
- Access your collection and playlists from across the internet (supports transcoding to low-bitrate MP3 to minimize network traffic)
- High-performance import routines and integrated collection database
- Library Monitor detects changes to your collection in real-time
- Works with all UPnP-compliant media renderers

To apply, please visit http://beta.sdstechnologies.com and fill out the application form. We'll contact the selected applicants via email as soon as Beta 1 is ready to ship with instructions on how to access the beta community and download the latest code.

Nascasho

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »

Looks cool. And sounds cool. Can't wait.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »

I don't fully understand for its for, but is this an alternative to windows media connect? Everytime my pc loads, WMC scans my entire 30gig music folder, and since its doing that, my virus scanner scans everything. It takes about 5 minutes for the PC to be usable, unless i ctrl+alt+del and kill wmc.

postaldude25

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(flashfreak @ Jun 11 2006, 07:45 AM) *

I don't fully understand for its for, but is this an alternative to windows media connect? Everytime my pc loads, WMC scans my entire 30gig music folder, and since its doing that, my virus scanner scans everything. It takes about 5 minutes for the PC to be usable, unless i ctrl+alt+del and kill wmc.

have you ever heard of   Start/run and typing msconfig and turning of the stuff that you do not want running when windows boot up....

proger

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 04:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(postaldude25 @ Jun 11 2006, 03:18 AM) *

have you ever heard of   Start/run and typing msconfig and turning of the stuff that you do not want running when windows boot up....

There is also a nifty free program called quick startup.. makes it a bit easier than msconfig.

HansiHusten

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 05:12:00 AM »

finaly something for my 2003 server! great
now we need smb stream for vidz and mp3s like in the XBMC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »

I no longer have to upgrade my beloved windows 2000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

Spency234

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »

Yknow what would be really nice?  A way to play Shoutcast stations on your Xbox 360.  Does anybody know of a way to do this?

icedemon360

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

A company called "TwonkyMedia" make a upnp server thingy that let you listen to shoutcast streams on the xbox 360. It isn't free, and by the sounds of it, this doesn't look like its going to be free either.

BTW TwonkyMedia's offering is pretty good.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lurk.gif)

Spency234

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »

Thanks for the heads up icedeamon!

Looks like I can install this on my Dreambox too (god I love that thing.)

sdstech

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(flashfreak @ Jun 11 2006, 12:45 AM) *

Hi flashfreak,

That's exactly right, this is an alternative to Windows Media Connect and essentially serves the same overall purpose.

It's worth noting that, unlike WMC, we maintain a database that is written to disk, so once your library has been scanned once, it doesn't ever need a full rescan (unless you explicity invoke one).  Any changes that you make to your library (additions, deletions, updates to metadata, etc.) are automatically detected and incrementally updated in the background as needed.

Many thanks to this great community for an overwhelming response to our beta program signup.  I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have about the Jamcast server or the beta program here in these forums, via private message, or at [email protected].

Regards,

Scott
Senior Software Developer
Software Development Solutions, Inc.

danjohnston

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

Be very cautious when dealing with this scott streaker guy.

He ripped me off for my layout which he is probaly using now. can anyone confirm? (see screenshots in link)

some interesting reading material ....

http://danjohnston.org/2005/jamcast/

This post has been edited by danjohnston: Jun 17 2006, 06:49 PM