xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mce Neccessary?  (Read 114 times)

infamous_Q

• Archived User
Mce Neccessary?
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:47:00 PM »

If i go to xbox.com/pcsetup it gives me the option of setting up my PC with the 360 by installing something, but i can install it on XP SP2. Does this give me access to video/music/pictures kinda like how MCE would? Or for videos (the biggest concern) do i still need to install MCE? Thanks!

mobettaut

• Archived User
Mce Neccessary?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(infamous_Q @ May 17 2006, 11:18 PM) *

If i go to xbox.com/pcsetup it gives me the option of setting up my PC with the 360 by installing something, but i can install it on XP SP2. Does this give me access to video/music/pictures kinda like how MCE would? Or for videos (the biggest concern) do i still need to install MCE? Thanks!

When you go to the link (if i remember correctly), it gives you 3 options, one of them being XP SP2. This just installs windows media connect (WMC) which gives you access to music/pictures on your PC to your 360. You need Media Center Editon (MCE) on your PC, then you can install one of the other options which is Media Center Extender (MCX). This gives you access to video/music/pictures on your PC as well as other online services which stream onto your 360. So in the end, if you have that and install MCX then you can click that "Media Center" button on your 360 which takes it into Media Center through your PC onto your 360.
From what you are saying, you only have XP SP2 so you wouldn't be able to install MCX (which needs MCE), and that is what you need for videos.

infamous_Q

• Archived User
Mce Neccessary?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:55:00 AM »

damn...any idea on if its worth the change (from xp pro...actually this may be home) to MCE? I've heard bad things about mce...any advice?

jtom617

• Archived User
Mce Neccessary?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »

you might want to consider using your resources and get windows xp media center edition, you can stream video and tv, along with images, and music. Its pretty nice!  pop.gif

deadparrot

• Archived User
Mce Neccessary?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »

Pick up an OEM copy of MCE.  I've not had any problems with it.