xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dual Booting Winxp And Windows Mce 2005 On Same Pc?  (Read 94 times)

mark_in_2k

• Archived User
Dual Booting Winxp And Windows Mce 2005 On Same Pc?
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »

As the title says, I'm wanting to install MCE 2005 so that I can stream vids (specifically Hi-Def) from my PC to my 360.

I currerntly have WinXP Pro installed on my PC. Is it safe for me to install MCE on a separate partition so that I can stream my vids? I won't be doing any recording, just purely for vid playback on my 360.

I don't have an official "Windows Media PC" but I do have the install discs and I've been told that it's possible to install to a non-official WMPC.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

tommiwan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(mantra79 @ Jan 10 2006, 09:24 AM) View Post

Why dont you just install mce instead of a partition mc is just xp with the extra content anyway. I doesnt matter  if its an official mc pc  you can still make your pc a media center just add a tv tuner and mce and it would be.

I agree.  this is what I did.  My pc is one that I built and I installed media center 2005 OS, the streaming works well.  It just takes a while to set up.

create

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »

If I were you I would dual boot to test how MCE is going to work with your hardware/network and if you can get it to connect to your X360 for your technical intentions before you fully commit. The reason I say this is because I have installed MCE in VMware and am having slight issues streaming vids and music; I am still testing. My point is that without having a machine with hardware and drivers certified by MS to work with MCE, the OS behaves quirky for various things, even if the intention is only to stream files and not to watch/record TV etc.

Just my 2 cents.

mrjkwik

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »

one reason to consider dual booting....

i've got a dual core amd pc, and from my understanding, mce is still very buggy when it comes to running on dual core.  so you'd only want to boot it when your gonna need it.  and keep another version of xp for your full time os.

just a thought.  i dont even have a 360 yet, so i havent done it.  but if i did, its probably the route i'd take

mark_in_2k

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(SteveOA @ Jan 24 2006, 01:37 AM) View Post

why would you want to dual boot, MCE is the same as winxp pro but with the Media center capibilities, and you can upgrade if you have the disc's and it doesn't have to be a wmpc

I just wanted to test out MCE with my 360 before I went ahead and reinstalled all my software and apps on the PC.

Anyway, I've since tested MCE under a dual boot and last weekend I decided to switch completely over to MCE without any problems whatsoever. My main reason for testing was I was sure my hardware would be enough, but it's running great, no performance hits. at all...and it's great streaming hi-def movies from my PC and watching them in all their glory on my HDTV biggrin.gif

Bradley687

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »

I ran WIN MCE on a virtual PC 2005 to understand and test how xbox would stream mpg files. I was very disappointed because i've used XBMC on XBOX 1. There delay to connect to MCE edition. Then i viewed a mpg file on 360. Stream was OK but it took like 10 seconds to wait for the file to play.

Overall i thought it was sluggish and the delay between streaming files is noticeable.

Now granted i ran XBMC on a virtual PC and i was disappointed when compared to the XBMC. I thought it be more reponsive.

Still its the only choice on XBOX 360 until there is development for a better app that streams videos.