xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Microsoft's Xbox Live chief on bans: not 1 Million  (Read 311 times)

j3ll3

• Archived User
Microsoft's Xbox Live chief on bans: not 1 Million
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »

These were people that were pirating software.

no ffin wonder. your POS console still is unreliable... still is scratching discs... has overpriced accesoires, DLC, and subscription fees

"called in to MS"...

these people at Xbox Support.. don't know shit.. they have no clue what they're talking about

i don't see why you would trust any Xbox Support employee.. If you do.. You're hopelessly gullible

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(j3ll3 @ Nov 21 2009, 03:12 AM) View Post

has overpriced accesoires, DLC, and subscription fees

if you cant afford to pay you don't play man, thats life. go make some more fucking money.  cant afford luxurys? go buy a ball-n'-cup or play out side.  just because you cant afford shit doesn't mean you its ok to steal it.  shit is selling at the price its set at other wise it would be cheaper.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2009, 03:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(kohr @ Nov 20 2009, 08:09 PM) View Post

Even if a percentage of people are not actually backing up a retail game, which they did buy, Microsoft is still making money off these people. Their making money off  these users via their Live Gold subscriptions. So by doing what they've done with this massive ban, their actually loosing xbox live renew subscriptions from these bannings.

That is unless these banned pirates go out and buy new consoles, and new live subscriptions. But that's likely not going to happen much. If these banned pirates have money to go buy a new console, well then they would of probably bought games their games to begin with instead of pirating them.

Actually I think many people WILL do this.... people have spent money on DLC etc...  Most people will probably keep two systems.  One for live.. one to "beta" test games..  The games they like they will now actually go out and buy for multiplayer.  

There are other crimes too... I have bought about 5 systems because of the RROD.. I have not sent them back to Microsoft because they were modded...  

I know modded voids my warranty and can get me kicked off of live..

weeda420

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »

I am still pretty sure that MS has just started the banning because they want to sell all the rest of the arcade-version of the xBox. The arcade is going to be taken from the market... so what else is a better idea as to bann all the "bad guys", so they have to buy a new arcade to play on... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

...and by the way: I know a lot of people who sent their modded box to MS after RROD, of course after remodding it, there was never any bann and they all got a repaired box, even though all the seals were broken...

This post has been edited by weeda420: Nov 21 2009, 03:32 PM

kneehighspy

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(rorush @ Nov 20 2009, 11:24 PM) View Post

* MW: It's a cat and mouse game. These were people that were pirating software.

Not true alot of peolple including myself got banned for making backups of games we own and playing them, maybe they should look at a different approach and if you own a game you register and if and when it stops reading send it back and get a new copy, why are you paying 70 dollars that you know will end up scratched and not working. it is b.s

while i do agree with you 100%, but ever since the dawn of floppy disk based software, the manufacturer has always had a return / replacement program to replace disk / discs at a nominal fee.  even if that fee were / is $25 in todays pricing, it does beat paying full retail for replacement.  it's part of the licensing agreement in the back of every game / software manual.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(kneehighspy @ Nov 21 2009, 02:31 PM) View Post

while i do agree with you 100%, but ever since the dawn of floppy disk based software, the manufacturer has always had a return / replacement program to replace disk / discs at a nominal fee.  even if that fee were / is $25 in todays pricing, it does beat paying full retail for replacement.  it's part of the licensing agreement in the back of every game / software manual.

You shouldn't need to pay for a replacement - you don't own the media or the game, you're just paying for the right to use it. So when the media scratches (which is prone on DVD-ROM), just ask them for another copy for free. If they wanted to eliminate the excuses for piracy they would have done this a long time ago.

Syn201

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(j3ll3 @ Nov 21 2009, 11:12 AM) View Post

no ffin wonder. your POS console still is unreliable... still is scratching discs... has overpriced accesoires, DLC, and subscription fees

"called in to MS"...

these people at Xbox Support.. don't know shit.. they have no clue what they're talking about

i don't see why you would trust any Xbox Support employee.. If you do.. You're hopelessly gullible

you think any tech support guy (or girl who know ever less) anyplace knows anything
all your dlc ect comments will apply to ps3 as well they will be charging for there live service to soon
if sony would not6 put such a stupid price tag on thing then maybe we could all afford there games console
oooo it play blue l ray well wopidey fucking do so does a 70 gbp blue ray player  or i could just watch it on fricking dvd and not be anely retentive about the apernt quality loss which most people cant even see without a frigging 54 inch tv ..

torbjorn

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »

my console was banned..

and if it werent for the fact i had insurance on it and some coke accidently dropped on it, so im getting a new xbox,

but NOW im not gonna spend any money on ms..

why kill ur best customers xboxes?

because their som arrogant piece of shit peopl!!

canad

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(estoyloco @ Nov 21 2009, 12:28 AM) View Post

WTF do people keep getting these outrageous XBL subscription numbers from.
I've never paid over $30 for 12month+1 month card since I've owned my Xbox.

$70/yr? really? come on...

$8.99/month or $63/year i just had it taken off my credit card last week for another year by MS in canada

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(damonnomad @ Nov 21 2009, 02:53 AM) View Post

The TOS doesn't just say "hey, backups are illegal k".

It says something to the effect of modification of the console will result in being banned from xbox live etc.

Nowhere in the TOS will it mention backups.

Make all the backups you like, you seem to be entitled to it. You just cant use them.

I'm willing to bet your so called federal law doesn't say that everyone is entitled to make 1 backup AND modify hardware to be able to use it. There will be no voiding of TOS.

Legally, you are allowed to make a working backup. It isn't a backup if it cannot be restored, this has already been tested in court, so MS would have a hard time with stopping people modding their consoles from a legal standpoint, unless they had software that would allow you to backup and restore a game.

Oh and to the people outraged by the 'sanctity of life' comment, I would imagine he said 'sanctity of live' and it was misheard and misquoted.

QUOTE(Syn201 @ Nov 21 2009, 08:10 PM) View Post

all your dlc ect comments will apply to ps3 as well they will be charging for there live service to soon
if sony would not6 put such a stupid price tag on thing then maybe we could all afford there games console
oooo it play blue l ray well wopidey fucking do so does a 70 gbp blue ray player  or i could just watch it on fricking dvd and not be anely retentive about the apernt quality loss which most people cant even see without a frigging 54 inch tv ..

Do you have any evidence that Sony will be charging soon?

SnoopDop

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »

he's right, it was NOT 1 million, IT WAS 999,999 bans

Hellzone

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(SnoopDop @ Nov 22 2009, 05:42 AM) *

he's right, it was NOT 1 million, IT WAS 999,999 bans

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)  like thats a huge difference....
lets be more specific if "PIRACY IS SO BAD"
M$  = Idiot's !!!

wesoo

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(stacker69 @ Nov 21 2009, 05:07 AM) View Post

All I can say is I can see both sides of this long old argument.

I understand why making backups of the games you own is considered "Pirating". And I do agree with people the reason they make backups is to protect their discs from wear and tear. But this is where it gets touchy. There are people out there who make backups and sell them or they borrow games from friends or rent games from shops and make backups and won't buy the game. This is where microsoft gets annoyed.

First of all Microsoft is out there to make money. It's really a GREY area when it comes to creating backups. Microsoft can't control every single game owner to be 100% honest because like I said that you do get some that are just in it for pure "pirating" reasons.

So in order for microsoft to "Try" and control piracy they just have to do what they have to do and that means "creating, copying or making backups of games is just illegal! Copyright laws have been there for a very long time and it will never go away.

Banning people on LIVE was just another way for microsoft to control piracy and I have to admit it was a bit drastic.

That's just my opinion so I hope people don't get offended by it.

if i play with the original game but modd system it is OK or not?
because when i bought my xbox i didn't know it is modd  uhh.gif  uhh.gif

Thundercleese

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(wesoo @ Nov 22 2009, 08:40 PM) View Post

if i play with the original game but modd system it is OK or not?
because when i bought my xbox i didn't know it is modd  uhh.gif  uhh.gif

NOT SAFE to play on live, with original discs or even no discs (arcade games off hdd), NOT SAFE!!!

krandor

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(dokworm @ Nov 22 2009, 12:51 AM) View Post

Legally, you are allowed to make a working backup. It isn't a backup if it cannot be restored, this has already been tested in court, so MS would have a hard time with stopping people modding their consoles from a legal standpoint, unless they had software that would allow you to backup and restore a game.

There is a fair use right to back up software however according to the DMCA you cannot bypass any system designed to prevent you from copying software.  That HAS been tested in court over DVDs (DeCSS) and was ruled that the DMCA does not grant an exception for fair use.  So once you have to circumvent encryption to make a backup you are in violation of the DMCA.  Also, any devices who primary purpose is to bypass protection mechanisms it is also illegal to even possess so anybody with a CK3 or something similar would also fall under that provision.  

The DMCA is a horrible bill that pretty much removes the fair use exception for most things however it is what it is and the DMCA has won in cases related to copying DVDs.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4