xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Microsoft's Xbox Live chief on bans: not 1 Million  (Read 313 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft's Xbox Live chief on bans: not 1 Million
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 20 16:48 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From venturebeat.com:

We sat down this week with Marc Whitten, the general manager of Xbox Live, to catch up on the latest with the service at the Streaming Media West show.

* VB: There were stories that talked about how Microsoft knocked out a lot of modders from Xbox Live. I recall that early on there were maybe 1 or 2 percent of the people who were using modded machines. Why would there be such a large number now? One report said it was a million modders knocked out.

* MW: It's a cat and mouse game. These were people that were pirating software. We try to keep sanctity of life from a safety and anti-cheating perspective and we protect our partners. We didn't release the number. I cannot explain to you why people would think it was a million people. It wasn't a million people. Check the veracity of that claim. It was one news source. I think we do a really good job understanding what people are doing on the system. That applies to intellectual property (piracy) and how we treat the community in terms of harassment. We are committed to making it better and better.

Full Interview: venturebeat.com

LeeDude

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »

1 million or not... I was 1 of a LOT.  I really don't care much other way, but I've spent over 200 dollars in rock band songs and it won't let me play them. That's stupid. Period.

topnut

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »

does anyone else hate it when these reps/execs  (especially cammy dunnaway of nintendo) keep promoting their product when they are giving an interview? Like they are always saying : "we are committed to so and so and our product is this and that" Its my pet peeve and anyone can tell what they are saying is an act.

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(topnut @ Nov 20 2009, 05:04 PM) View Post

does anyone else hate it when these reps/execs  (especially cammy dunnaway of nintendo) keep promoting their product when they are giving an interview? Like they are always saying : "we are committed to so and so and our product is this and that" Its my pet peeve and anyone can tell what they are saying is an act.

agreed, he pretty much turned the interview into free advertisement. Oh well people are gonna keep modding and M$ will keep banning simple as that.

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

Well if it wasn't a million, how many was it?  It's a simple enough question that he could've answered.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(topnut @ Nov 20 2009, 10:04 PM) *

Can you blame them?  With the way the news and print media are, everyone has to carefully craft their words for fear of being misrepresented.  The media thrives on quoting statements out of context, mis-representation, presenting opinions as fact, and manipulating statistics.  They no longer simply report the news and the events of the day, they try to create and manipulate it.  ...even Xbox-scene.com is guilty of that.

canad

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »

Maybe they realized how stupid it was for them to make public what they had done.

- what about lost revenue!? They just laid off a 4000 people? Lets see 500,000 systems (X) $70year/12 month LIVE membership = $35.000.000 million/year

- all the people buying banned units now they got to deal with complaining and not understanding why the system they just bought there kids for christmas doesn't work

- xbox acknowledging they have a pirating problem. advantage sony

the negatives go on and on, good job M$ !

The_Flash

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

My favorite is how he worked "sanctity of life" in there.  Please.  This is Xbox and video games, not a Pro-Life rally.

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

This is just MS doing the PR back peddle because banning that many people from their community has givin' them a lot of negative publicity.

rorush

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

* MW: It's a cat and mouse game. These were people that were pirating software.

Not true alot of peolple including myself got banned for making backups of games we own and playing them, maybe they should look at a different approach and if you own a game you register and if and when it stops reading send it back and get a new copy, why are you paying 70 dollars that you know will end up scratched and not working. it is b.s

GOTitCUZiMODDED

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(LeeDude @ Nov 20 2009, 04:00 PM) View Post

1 million or not... I was 1 of a LOT.  I really don't care much other way, but I've spent over 200 dollars in rock band songs and it won't let me play them. That's stupid. Period.

You modding your system, clearly knowing the risks of getting banned and losing your DLC especially after spending that much on purchases...  That's stupid.  Period.  

Seems that you little kiddos think Microsoft owes you something or a "get outta banned" card just because you purchased X amount of DLC?  RTFTOS!  Now the HDD crippling is a bad move and I never was a fan of buying too much DLC for this reason exactly.  Use your brains next time kids.  If you have that much cash to spend on MS Points, then buy an extra box for only Live, and the other to continue your theft of games.  It's been discussed many times throughout the previous ban waves.  That way, M$ and Verbatim continue to make money, you stay on Live, you don't lose your DLC... win, win, win, win, win.  Just my two cents.

estoyloco

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(canad @ Nov 20 2009, 11:47 PM) *

Maybe they realized how stupid it was for them to make public what they had done.

- what about lost revenue!? They just laid off a 4000 people? Lets see 500,000 systems (X) $70year/12 month LIVE membership = $35.000.000 million/year

- all the people buying banned units now they got to deal with complaining and not understanding why the system they just bought there kids for christmas doesn't work

- xbox acknowledging they have a pirating problem. advantage sony

the negatives go on and on, good job M$ !

WTF do people keep getting these outrageous XBL subscription numbers from.
I've never paid over $30 for 12month+1 month card since I've owned my Xbox.

$70/yr? really? come on...

scottmuller28

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »

More like 3 million or more banned.

People in Australia do pay $70.00 a year for xbox live or $10.00 a month. Those people really get the best end of the stick. M$ should raise the price there as they avoided the GFC and majority are still employed. Then they could make live cheaper for the rest of the world. Just a thought.

This post has been edited by scottmuller28: Nov 21 2009, 12:44 AM

hawkeye06

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »

How can he say it is people that are pirating software? Maybe some people just do backups!?! blink.gif

Why should the people that do backups only be banned too and have their system corrupted?  I'm sorry but since the xbox can scratch the shit out of disks there should be some question as to whether I can make a backup of my game and not get banned to avoid forking out another $60 for a game that is Microsofts fault.

Zack_sparrow

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »

in live, there are 200million ..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4