xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nielsen report reveals average game console usage  (Read 44 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Nielsen report reveals average game console usage
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | April 8 13:36 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From edge-online.com:

The research firm said Wii owners used their consoles 6.8 percent of the total amount of time that they could have used the system during Nielsen's measurement period during December 2008.
This compares to Xbox 360's "Active User Percentage" of 10.2 percent and PS3's 10.6 percent, which both led the way amongst current and last-gen consoles.

In average usage days, Wii trailed all other consoles except for GameCube with five days (GameCube had 4.5 days). PS3 and Xbox 360 were used 6.8 and 7.1 days average, respectively.

Wii also was last in terms of daily average number of sessions with 1.78 sessions, versus 2.42 for PS3 and 2.15 for Xbox 360.

Full Story: edge-online.com

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »

first in sales, last in usage.

on the 360 note, i wonder if gamerscore was developed in part to monitor statistics like this

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »

The number look about right. I never play my Wii while my PS3 gets used a little more than my 360.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »

I am a little surprised PS3 pulled ahead of the 360...  What surprises me the most is the figures of both the ps3 and 360.  If I am reading it right, it works out to about 2.5 hours a day usage on average.  

Do these figures include time the ps3 is spent playing blu-ray movies?

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »

The Nielsen's measurement make no distiction as to what each machine is actually being used for when it's on.  We only assume it's for gaming but many people do in fact use the PS3 for blu-ray playback.

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »

do the 360 figures include time spent Netflix watching and dvd movies?

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Apr 8 2009, 05:52 PM) *

do the 360 figures include time spent Netflix watching and dvd movies?

i would assume its the same as if the ps3 time counts blu-ray usage. odds are that either both of these scenarios are counted, or neither of them are counted.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »

Nielsen's sample includes 17K U.S. television households

In order to be a part of their test sample do you have to own all three of the consoles?.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

This compares to Xbox 360's "Active User Percentage" of 10.2 percent and PS3's 10.6 percent, which both led the way amongst current and last-gen consoles.

Probably because people feel they have to use their PS3. They paid more for it so their logic convinces them they have to get more use out of it.

I do have a point

1212kiwi

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »

You read the article wrong.  its 11.4% for the 360.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »

yes, edge mis-reported the figures. if you check the nielsen source (http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-con...040609_fnl1.pdf) the correct numbers are:

Active User Percentage:
XBOX360:  11.4%
PS3: 10.6%
Wii: 6.8%

(10.2% is for the original XBOX)

This post has been edited by spinr34: Apr 9 2009, 03:05 AM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Apr 8 2009, 11:54 PM) *

In order to be a part of their test sample do you have to own all three of the consoles?.

No you don't. The panel sample is supposed to be an even spread so the total number of consoles of each type will identical in comparison to the type of user.
so there will be an even spread of city analysts age 25 using each console.
Unless Nielsen have a copy of every game for every console there is no way they can split this into games vs dvd/BR usage, unless they simply ask panel members.

Probably because people feel they have to use their PS3. They paid more for it so their logic convinces them they have to get more use out of it.

I do have a point

Or maybe the PS3 is not at the manufacturers having problems repaired as much so can be used more.... This is merely to emphasise that in fact your point is not logical (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 9 2009, 11:50 AM) *

Or maybe the PS3 is not at the manufacturers having problems repaired as much so can be used more....

ouch, thats a low blow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) as previously mentioned though, the actual data shows the 360 as being used more than the ps3

carniver

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »

Some JRPGs on the 360 can do what they call "auto-leveling", do those times count as actual usage times?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 02:54:00 AM »

Well, the arguments are all moot:

http://kotaku.com/5205249/nielsen-drops-th...rs#viewcomments

Remember that study of video gamer habits Nielsen released earlier this week showing the Wii in third place and the Playstation 3 in seventh, last even after the GameCube and original Xbox? It was wrong.

Fast Company reports that they've been told that the graph was mislabeled. The real graph, which now appears in the official report and in the image above, shows that the Wii is in second place, after the PS2, for console usage and the PS3 is in fifth place, beating out the GameCube and original Xbox.

Whoops. I hope there aren't any other mistakes in the oft-cited, typically trusted data. Reached for comment this morning, a Nielsen representative said the report does not contain any other errors.