xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gates picks challenging year to leave Microsoft  (Read 85 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Gates picks challenging year to leave Microsoft
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | December 30 23:59 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From seattlepi.nwsource.com:

Just as Microsoft's past year was characterized by launches, the next will be defined by a departure.
But even as Bill Gates leaves his full-time executive role, the company will be grappling with some of the biggest competitive challenges in its history, particularly on the Internet.
Here's our annual look at what to watch at the company in 2008.

* XBOX: The coming year will be pivotal in the video-game console industry, where Microsoft's Xbox 360 is competing against Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3. Entering the past holiday season, the Xbox 360 and Wii were neck-and-neck in worldwide market share, with the PlayStation 3 trailing.
Microsoft has said it wants its Home and Entertainment Division, which includes the Xbox business, to reach sustained operating profitability in the company's current fiscal year, which ends June 30.

Full Story: seattlepi.nwsource.com

the_nerdy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »

Hate to say it, but Bill Gates doesn't play a big role in Microsoft anymore,  It is a group of people tht decide things and Gates is just a name that is known.

I belive this will have no impact if very little.

mlapaglia

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »

if i have heard correctly, bill gates has been training his replacement for a good 5 years, with this guy following him and learning how to do everything gates does on a daily basis, and this is the last year before he parts.

Microsoft has been preparing for Gates' full-time shift to philanthropy since 2005, when the plan was announced, and it has already installed executives Craig Mundie and Ray Ozzie to fill his roles in the business, working with Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer.

sorry, two years.

This post has been edited by mlapaglia: Dec 31 2007, 09:01 AM

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »

I hope that crazy guy Steve Ballmer doesn't mess things up, hes been known to throw chairs at people for them signing with Google.

ChoZ3nWon

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »

all i have to say is developers,developers.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Dec 31 2007, 02:13 PM) *

I hope that crazy guy Steve Ballmer doesn't mess things up, hes been known to throw chairs at people for them signing with Google.

What do you think the title "CEO" means?  Steve Ballmer has been running the day to day business in company for years.  Bill Gates is just the name that everyone knows.

...don't know where or why you made up that story about chair throwing.

CHRONOSTORM

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »

in the everchanging world of technology no matter what year or season or week he would leave they could always come up with some way to make it look like it could be somehow detramental to microsoft's productivity.

NEWS HEADLINE!
Microsoft is developing new updates to Microsoft Vista and bill gates is no where to be found. could he be in the restroom?! microsofts developers are going to start crumbling in on eachother with out bills direction!
 biggrin.gif

i'm sure MS will continue on and prevail through it all.

codecxbox

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »

I said before. Xbox360 is the perfect electronic thingy for licensing,lol...