xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Live Ban = Good Marketing Strategy?  (Read 127 times)

fatc2k3

• Archived User
Live Ban = Good Marketing Strategy?
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »

Seems to me that MS could have slapped the ban on live just in time for Xmas. Knowing that people will go out and buy a new console which will obviously boost their figures in the Console war runup to christmas. Just an opinion.

lukero1977

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(fatc2k3 @ Nov 21 2007, 02:51 PM) *

Seems to me that MS could have slapped the ban on live just in time for Xmas. Knowing that people will go out and buy a new console which will obviously boost their figures in the Console war runup to christmas. Just an opinion.

lol, it's a funny opinion. It will certainly push sales up.

fcukMS

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »

Nice reasoning. Have to say it does make alot of business sense...Since the arcade bundles are out and there is the whole war with the wii is going on along with Christmas around the corner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

lukero1977

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »

the wii war is a battle in itself, they would outsell everything if you could get them.

I have a console on it's way back from m$ as we speak so if I get banned I'll just use that one.

Devedander

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »

I would say that 2 days before black friday, right before a 4 day weekend, early enough not to conflict with right before xmas rush... it's about the perfect time...

This post has been edited by Devedander: Nov 21 2007, 08:50 PM

robpury

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »

It sure seems to be working out that way since most people that have been banned have an extra 360 just for xbox live. Microsoft wins and loses at the same time because we're still modding, just not on live.

fatc2k3

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Devedander @ Nov 21 2007, 09:43 PM) *

I would say that 2 days before black friday, right before a 4 day weekend, early enough not to conflict with right before xmas rush... it's about the perfect time...

Living in a real world .....where people have to earn cash to buy things....

Console banned and still want live = Buy a new console....May have till wait till payday???
Falling inline with xmas figures.

No decision is likely to be made at MS without money in mind. There has been no change in the way they detect firmware , as quoted "It appears that modified fw is NOT being detected, and is instead once again due to 'bad' discs". therefore MS could have made this ban happen whenever they chose. ??

What an ideal time?

Ken_D

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

IMHO, I can't see *why* MS bans consoles from XBL. MS doesn't get it's fiver-a-month from the user, they don't get the revenue from XBLA sales, and most users won't run out and get a new console - they'll just keep on playing backups (no, I don't condone it). Wouldn't it make more sense for MS to knock anyone 'caught' down to a Silver account, so they can at least still get the revenue from XBLA?

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ken_D @ Nov 22 2007, 12:13 AM) *

IMHO, I can't see *why* MS bans consoles from XBL. MS doesn't get it's fiver-a-month from the user, they don't get the revenue from XBLA sales, and most users won't run out and get a new console - they'll just keep on playing backups (no, I don't condone it). Wouldn't it make more sense for MS to knock anyone 'caught' down to a Silver account, so they can at least still get the revenue from XBLA?

If you actually read through a lot of the posts, the banned users do go out and buy new consoles, which they then connect back to live. they end up keeping the banned console for offline use.
MS knows that XBL is a drug  to most users and people will still want a fix.

frozenballs

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 22 2007, 12:18 AM) *

If you actually read through a lot of the posts, the banned users do go out and buy new consoles, which they then connect back to live. they end up keeping the banned console for offline use.

lol it is addictive i even have a backup console on my shelf with no mods ready to go if my modded one ever gets banned

fatc2k3

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 22 2007, 02:18 AM) *

My point exactly ....