xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Wont Turn On After Flash  (Read 112 times)

nicknicknick

• Archived User
Xbox Wont Turn On After Flash
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)  Now this one has perplexed me.  Lets start from the beginning.  

Bought a 360 premium on 11/08. Was totally stoked, hit up blockbuster, rented a couple games and went from there. Everything worked fine for a couple weeks.  I admit im a total newbie but i lurk through these forums quite often and im somewhat computer literate.  
So i cracked the case, found out it was a benq drive (assumed so) so i hit the forums.  Got the right chipset sata card, had a couple issues with the noob tutorial but found my way around it.  Read the orig. flash, backed it up, used the xtreme firmware (thank you xbins), erased and wrote everything fine.  I turned off and turned on the xbox plenty of times (had drive recognition issues at first) and had no problems during the procedure, till now.  After a successful xbox flash i rushed to the living room with the widescreen to plug in my new accomplishment.  I hit the power button... and nothing happened. hit it a few more times and the center power icon flashed repeatedly, i then realized my dvdrom wasnt plugged in. plugged it in and now the xbox wont power up.  

Ive tried unplugging for 15 minutes, 30 minutes... nothing.  Bottomline, i need my xbox back, and im hoping that someone has experienced this problem before and can clue me into a solution.  

Info about my 360:
Used sata chipset via6421a to flash
latest xtreme firmware 8x speed
flashed with usb thumbdrive and dosflash 1.3 beta
xbox360 Serial # 127684773505
benq model # vad6038
power supply led color= orange
Problem: Xbox wont start. no power no rrod, nothing.  wont start with the controller, eject button, or power button on system itself.  No signs of overheating, no smell from console (burnt or otherwise).  Im totally left in the dark.  Hopin anyone can help. Thanks.

Only signs of xbox alive is when drive is disconnected then the power icon flashes quickly.  Only done this twice after 20+ attempts to start, could be coincidental after i plugged in the drive.

Oh and i have a nyko intercooler for the back, to help rule out any overheating thoughts.

BrooksyX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

Probably not a good idea to post your xbox 360 serial number on the internet for all the world see and M$, no matter if your console is modded or not.

Anyways your last line makes me think that the nyko intercooler fried your 360, just like it has done to a bunch of other 360s. If you search about the intercooler you will find a bunch of horror stories about it. My best suggestion would be to take the intercooler off of the back of your console and try playing without it.

nicknicknick

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

Yeah.. i thought about that serial number after i posted it, but fuck it. Im assuming im out $400 anyways.  I havent searched the forum about that intercooler, but ive tried with and without.  If someone can tell me how to edit a post ill take out most of that serial number.  Im hopin i havent fried it... only had it 2 weeks.

mnymakr

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(nicknicknick @ Nov 20 2007, 06:57 PM) *

Yeah.. i thought about that serial number after i posted it, but fuck it. Im assuming im out $400 anyways.  I havent searched the forum about that intercooler, but ive tried with and without.  If someone can tell me how to edit a post ill take out most of that serial number.  Im hopin i havent fried it... only had it 2 weeks.

PM a mod to have them remove it.  I'm sure M$ lurks here and will probably ban your console from Live.

waytoodeep03

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:43:00 AM »

I dont see how a flash would cause your box not to turn on at all. Id check the power connections or try another power source. Make sure the power brick is plugged into a wall and not a power strip.

Take the piece of crap intercooler off and look at the plug to see if there are burn marks

nicknicknick

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »

Okay well i figured things out.  Im assuming by removing and reinstalling the intercooler has caused the plug to have a loose connection at the circuit board.  I can press down on the plug and it'll play fine.  Thinking about sending it back to m$..... wonder if they'll notice it was opened.  

Mods please close this thread and thanks to everyone who posted.

BTW.. .i did check the forums and ended up removing my intercooler, thanks for the heads up.

Yamthief

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »

ok, first things first, don't use an intercooler, if you lurked on the forum enough you'd know they're bad news. Getting rid of that will probably fix your problem, and if not you've probably just bent the power plug in the back of the console, should be an easy fix rather than risking it by sending back a modded console.

nicknicknick

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »

Yeah.. you're right if i looked more i probably would have found out about the intercooler before i even bought it but i primarily focused on modding.  The intercooler is at the dump by now so thats outta the way.   I visually inspected the plug prongs and found nothing bent.  If i press down on the groundshield around the plug, everything plays fine.  I'd rather have it assembled though, instead of playing it with the case off.  

Anyone else got any suggestions?

-Thanks

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »

Check the connections at the plug and the board.. you may have to touch them up with solder.

MS will not even look at the box if it is opened.  You are on your own.

notrain

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »

Have you tried screwing the case screws tighter? Two of those should screw into the plug you have to push down to boot your box. Try tightening those two and see what happens.

nicknicknick

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »

I think notrain has hit the nail on the head with his comment.  I tried screwing the case a little tighter, added some more pressure with my thumb against the ground shield, and as Emerald would say 'Pow! (or bam! or whatever)' ... things are working great. Jiggled the chord around, messed with the plug.. no shorts.. talk about a relief.  I held out on buying the 360 due to skepticism with overheating issues, game freezes and so on... i practically crapped myself when it wouldn't turn on after my flash.  

Thanks again to everyone who posted, consider this matter closed.

...on a different note.  Havoc, your tag intrigues me.  Do you have a link to your comment about ixtreme being banned on live.  I did a quick google and nothing came up, would really dig the interesting read.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(nicknicknick @ Nov 27 2007, 10:03 PM) *

...on a different note.  Havoc, your tag intrigues me.  Do you have a link to your comment about ixtreme being banned on live.  I did a quick google and nothing came up, would really dig the interesting read.

It's more of a prophecy than a truth.  People wrongly assume that there is no risk and they can live their happy blind lives.  Reality is.. MS is always stepping up security, they know more about the system than we do, and if we can find holes in their system.. it doesn't take a brain surgeon to assume that they can't find holes in our protection.  

And people with ixtreme were recently banned... the evidence points to people using bad backups, but people assumed that was impossible with the firmware and the current tools.  That was obviously false.

The bottom line is.. we won't know until its too late what we did wrong and we are all banned.  MS can add offline checks if they choose.