xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Fall Update comes out tomorrow - Official Press Release  (Read 1137 times)

GuntherMP5

• Archived User
Fall Update comes out tomorrow - Official Press Release
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(Vidness @ Oct 31 2006, 05:54 PM) View Post

Can someone tell me what version their dashboard is after this update?

Please Do someone.  I updated when it connected with the cable but I made an account . I have a 1080P Sammy HDTV , but when I go to system in the 360 it only gives me the 1920 x 1080 ( I could have sworn I saw a screen shot that had 1080i or 1080p selections) also for Screen format it does not allow me to select anything. I have a 360VGA cable attached but it is a Monster Cable not MS. I don't think this should matter as it I don't believe the MS one has a switch like the component one, but MS is can be as bad a Sony with these things so any help would be appreciated.

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(thejt @ Oct 31 2006, 04:47 PM) View Post
More misinformation bashing other misinformation biggrin.gif

The actual limitation of FAT32 is 8 TB.  You must create the volume with something other than windows 2000 or XP like Partition Magic.

From MS.com

" Limitations of FAT32 File System
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 184006
Last Review : December 16, 2004
Revision : 3.2
This article was previously published under Q184006
For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, see 314463 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463/EN-US/).

SUMMARY
This article discusses limitations of the FAT32 file system with Windows operating systems.

MORE INFORMATION
The following limitations exist using the FAT32 file system with Windows operating systems:
• Clusters cannot be 64 kilobytes (KB) or larger. If clusters were 64 KB or larger, some programs (such as Setup programs) might calculate disk space incorrectly.  

• A volume must contain at least 65,527 clusters to use the FAT32 file system. You cannot increase the cluster size on a volume using the FAT32 file system so that it ends up with less than 65,527 clusters.  

• The maximum possible number of clusters on a volume using the FAT32 file system is 268,435,445. With a maximum of 32 KB per cluster with space for the file allocation table (FAT), this equates to a maximum disk size of approximately 8 terabytes (TB). "

Using FAT32 Drives with your 360

Couldn't have said it better myself. smile.gif

DoTsTeR

• Archived User
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(winky132 @ Oct 31 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post

Windows Movie Maker does work well except I can't figure out how to keep the source files aspect ratio of 16:9 the same.  Windows Movie Maker wants to change it to 4:3.  Any help?

tools/options/advanced

it's all there

QUOTE(alsybub @ Oct 31 2006, 08:14 PM) View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. smile.gif

That's great cause the guy answered a question nobody was asking.. they were talking abouit individual file sizes on a fat32 partition... not the size of the entire drive

What he said was not relevant ..

PurdueTim21

• Archived User
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(DoTsTeR @ Nov 1 2006, 03:33 AM) *

tools/options/advanced

it's all there
That's great cause the guy answered a question nobody was asking.. they were talking abouit individual file sizes on a fat32 partition... not the size of the entire drive

What he said was not relevant ..

What a worthless post alsybub. If he said what you were going to say why waste our time by posting about his post?

Anyways. Canopus ProCoder 2 is a great App. Tons of options and supported formats. Including .ts to wmvhd! Prepare to leave your computer running for days (like 10!) to convert files many gigabytes in size. Or maybe my Athlon 64 and 2 gigs of RAM just aren't good enough. I think SUPER version2006.19 is also a good program...and cheaper. I haven't used it myself because as far as I know ProCoder 2 is the king of encoding apps.

raff18

• Archived User
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

This so called update KILLED my box E71 is what i got after updateing my box and get this theres no way to fix it i have to send it in to be repaired and i just got it back from them today because the first one died (three red lights ) i talked to the lady on the phone and she said that they have been takeing LOTS of calls all day long about it she told me about 300 calls came in before lunch and to top it off THERE NOT REMOVEING THE UPDATE FROM MS so its going to kill more box's. dont update wait till its fixed that is what she told me to tell my friends give them a call in a few days this is bs im sorry to say just thought id let you all know

Phat Phreddy

• Archived User
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(snowball1976 @ Nov 1 2006, 01:19 AM) View Post

well i have read most of peoples replys etc etc on this fall update and tbh its complete rubbish m$ can not do a low scan of your firmware if they could everyone would have this so called E66 or just plain banned !!

being a hardware/software engineer the way i see it basically they have added a new update for the dvd drive regarding 1080p and the so call hd drive , and its conflicted with the flash update on the dvd drives you all have been using on your drives , microsoft is a serious contender in the hardware/software market and if there was a FW ban everyone would be affected.

your 360 is basically a pc with a dell case , so software updates are always on the cards and this fall update is simply a software conflict with your FW flashes. if m$ could kill this FW mod it would have been done before now

sNowMaN

I tend to agree with you... MS would desire to stop backup use ASAP if they could, its all about deterring people from modding and using backups / copys.. Theres not some conspiracy to lure people inand ban a larger group later.

Duff_Man

• Archived User
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Vidness @ Oct 31 2006, 10:54 PM) View Post

Can someone tell me what version their dashboard is after this update?

for those who asked my dashboard is version 2.0.4532.0 after the update

Morlok8k

• Archived User
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(ramzeva @ Oct 30 2006, 08:02 PM) View Post
anyone know if the update adds 1680x1050 VGA resolution?

it does not.  why do you need such a random resolution?

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Oct 31 2006, 06:50 AM) View Post

For those of us running XP who have long since reformmated our large external USB HDDs to NTFS to get around this limit, reformatting large drives back to FAT32 (for possible connection the X360 USB port) is far from obvious.  I've written a little bit about the problem in the past here.  The article linked within contains a link to a homebrew program called fat32format that will do it from XP.

yes, but it would make it so much easier if the 360 read NTFS!  there is no reason it cant.  i was hoping that this update would have it.

QUOTE(jkh13 @ Oct 31 2006, 10:45 AM) View Post
They still havent fixed the widescreen problem with the VGA cable on normal screens sad.gif

what widescreen problem?   just set the screen format to normal (some res. cant do that though - because its a widescreen res to beginwith. - so use a diff res.)

QUOTE(JustDanMI @ Oct 30 2006, 12:14 PM) View Post
What's all this about updates for a USB keyboard? I didn't even realize that you could hook up a Keyboard up to the 360.

Since the beginning...  I have the PS2 keyboard by Logitech connected to my computer as my main Keyboard, but i use it on the 360 when i want to.  it works great, and only $10.

QUOTE(PurdueTim21 @ Oct 30 2006, 04:55 PM) View Post

I own the Toshiba SD-4980 DVD player and it upconverts to 720p or 1080i through component. So, unless you're referring to upscaling to 1080p only, I'd say you're mistaken about the legality of upscaling.

yes, a few models that can do that were released, but they were released illegally.  which is stupid. (the fact that it's illegal)

i got the update and love it!

PurdueTim21

• Archived User
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »

so wait let me get this straight. A DVD that can only output a picture as high as 480p natively can do so over component on most players. Which is not secure and could potentially be copied. But they cannot allow the players to upconvert the content to 720p or 1080i over component even though the source video is still only 480p? That is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Upconversion still doesn't look HD compared to HD broadcasts because the source video is still only 480p. Not that it matters to me but it is still really stupid.

I just found out my tv doesn't support 1080p through the component inputs...that sucks. And I don't have a VGA input. So unless MS releases an adapter to use HDMI I'm still limited to only 1080i. So all I gained from this update is the ability to stream .WMV without having MCE. But when Vista comes out I'll be getting it and won't need that ability because I'll have Media Center on there. Kind of pointless for me. I hope the rest of you benefit more from this update than I did.

Morlok8k

• Archived User
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(PurdueTim21 @ Nov 1 2006, 10:07 AM) View Post
so wait let me get this straight. A DVD that can only output a picture as high as 480p natively can do so over component on most players. Which is not secure and could potentially be copied. But they cannot allow the players to upconvert the content to 720p or 1080i over component even though the source video is still only 480p? That is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Upconversion still doesn't look HD compared to HD broadcasts because the source video is still only 480p. Not that it matters to me but it is still really stupid.

yep, it is stupid.  i think that the CSS hates consumers and wants to intentionally piss them off for their own enjoyment.

QUOTE(PurdueTim21 @ Nov 1 2006, 10:07 AM) View Post
I just found out my tv doesn't support 1080p through the component inputs...that sucks. And I don't have a VGA input. So unless MS releases an adapter to use HDMI I'm still limited to only 1080i. So all I gained from this update is the ability to stream .WMV without having MCE. But when Vista comes out I'll be getting it and won't need that ability because I'll have Media Center on there. Kind of pointless for me. I hope the rest of you benefit more from this update than I did.

the update has many other useful features as well - like fixing the video codec glitch introduced in the spring update, Improved visual display of text in themes. etc.

i'm satisifed with it.

i would like more video codecs and the ablilty to read NTFS though...

EugeneEW3RD

• Archived User
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »

I just updated my 360 about 30 minutes ago with the new update. The addition of 1080P is great because I just bought a Samsung 50" DLP 1080P Television last week at Circuit City. Been wanting to get one for many years & Circuit City was having a sale.

I owned a 27" Samsung HDTV which could only do 480P/1080I (owned this TV for 5 yrs), I gave it to my grandfather last week.

I read in this thread that DVD upscaling can only be done by VGA, well my new TV has a VGA input so I will purchase an XBOX 360 VGA cable later this week (I go on vacation from work this Friday & won't return until Tuesday). Well, my new TV has a VGA input, 2 HDMI inputs, 2 s-video inputs, 3 AV inputs, 2 component inputs & 1 input for a USB Mass Storage Class device.

I love the fact that the update allows us to put videos on a data CD/DVD & watch them on our 360. I know that some people are complaining that it's only WMV. Well, MS created the WMV format & it's widely used on Windows PC's. I see that people want DIVX, Quicktime, et al support but the problem is that these are properitory formats which MS would have to license from the creators of the formats.

GuntherMP5

• Archived User
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(Duff_Man @ Nov 1 2006, 01:58 AM) View Post

for those who asked my dashboard is version 2.0.4532.0 after the update

OK mine updated but this is what I found out

If you use a VGA it allows you to select 1920 x 1080 from the dashboard
If you use the component cable (switched to HDTV) it allows 1080P
Actually the choices are different depending on which cable HDTV resolution or VGA resolution.

So I am hoping that since my HDTV is 1080P that it defaults to that through the VGA.
The picture on my TV looks a lot better with the VGA than the component. sharper and the colors are more vivid. might just be my TV though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]